Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got the hitachi G1000 a few days ago and played around it for a while. This is a very decent implementation and has a pxa 255 as opposed to the pxa250 chip.

Signal strength (RF) is better than treo, though it appears to bounce a little more and having a truely multitasking OS is great.

However, I am back with my treo 300.

One word: useability

The palm software I use on the treo is faster and much more elegant than anything on the PPC, not to mention the incredible work HS has done to make the treo actually work as a phone. For example, to dial someone, all I need to do is while at the phone screen is to start typing a few letters of their name in and viola, there they are.

Same for the browser (I did pay for netfront 3.0 for the PPC and for Agenda Fusion), and while netfront is nicer than the blazer, it is impossible to use without a stylus. The hell with that.

So after spending a large amount of money on PPC software, I am back to the treo 300.

So much for that plan.

/v
  2. purpleX
    so much for voice dial.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    so much for voice dial.
    I have more than 700 entries in my address book, most with more than one number. How can voice dial help me with this today?

Oh, that's right, I forgot. Usability is "fluf", not concrete enough. Who cares about whether something is truly usable for the end user and blends very well in their daily routine. Let's talk about straightforward things like capabilities and specs.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by purpleX
    so much for voice dial.
    Unfortunately, voice dial did not work well for me. Trust me, I really would have liked the phone to work, and mucked around with VD for a while.

/v
    vgill,

Thank you for writing in with your observations. I happened to be in CompUsa last night and the g1000 caught my eye. I was seriously drawn to the thing, although my first thought was, " this thing is _huge_".

I have been seriously contemplating the switch, and had even planned to go back to the store to play with it more tonight.

Can you elaborate more on the usability issues? The example you give definitely makes a point, but it seems to me like there is probably a way to get the same functionality (albeit in a less straighforward way).

quake, any further feedback on your experiences with your g1000?
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by jkap
    vgill,

Thank you for writing in with your observations. I happened to be in CompUsa last night and the g1000 caught my eye. I was seriously drawn to the thing, although my first thought was, " this thing is _huge_".

Can you elaborate more on the usability issues? The example you give definitely makes a point, but it seems to me like there is probably a way to get the same functionality (albeit in a less straighforward way).

quake, any further feedback on your experiences with your g1000?
    The thing IS huge.

http://www.vijaygill.com/g1k/g1k.jpg

Size is not a factor.

I am not the worlds smallest man.

However, the fact that I can't whip out the g1000 and check the latest news with a few button presses and some jog dialing is annoying.

The software I found is all really optimized for stylus use, which mandates two hands. One handed operation is virtually impossible with this thing as there is just too much real estate the hands must cover. And as you sit and type in bed on things like, say IRC, the beast tends to fall over and hit you in the face.

No backlight on keyboard. No easy way to get some symbols, etc (though I may be missing this one, I tried to look for the manual but it wasn't very good).

This is not all bad though. Having an SD card is excellent, the thumbboard is quite good in feel and operation.

/v
    Attached is the image resized and rotated for easier viewing. Wow. The hitachi is big. Why is there all that space around the screen?

The camera looks neat and the huge screen has to be dreamy, though!
    Attached Images Attached Images
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Attached is the image resized and rotated for easier viewing. Wow. The hitachi is big. Why is there all that space around the screen?

The camera looks neat and the huge screen has to be dreamy, though!
    Kramsauer, thanks for the flip, I wanted to give the people the full data I had

The screen is dreamy. Unfortunately, you can't use a lot of it because of the way the programs are designed. The windows start bar, etc, all eat into your pixels. I much prefer the sony Clie TG50 method of screen + keyboard. A lot more useable. Eg, netfront 3.0 on clie TG50 was useable when viewing cnn.com, but the same program on the Hitachi was not. Had to scroll around too much, causing RAGE.

On the other hand, the RF on the hitachi is godlike.

/v
    On the issue of having to use the stylus... I must say that I struggle with that on the Treo300 as well... Jogdial made life more bearable though but I still found that the stylus was necessary.... Is there another app that I don't know about?

On the browsing issue, I must say that browsing with Blazer in the Treo300 is mostly a painful experience (waiting for blazer to format the display) unless the site is a mobile oriented site...

The g1000 is making me a bit nutty... I am obsessed with my Treo300 because of both it's strong and weak points. I am an in the business tech business and I live on my PDA every moment. I am really worked up about trying to decide whether to switch or not... Maybe I should give it a try, and if it does not work out, return it?.....
    On the issue of having to use the stylus... I must say that I struggle with that on the Treo300 as well... Jogdial made life more bearable though but I still found that the stylus was necessary.... Is there another app that I don't know about?

On the browsing issue, I must say that browsing with Blazer in the Treo300 is mostly a painful experience (waiting for blazer to format the display) unless the site is a mobile oriented site...

The g1000 is making me a bit nutty... I am obsessed with my Treo300 because of both it's strong and weak points. I am an in the business tech business and I live on my PDA every moment. I am really worked up about trying to decide whether to switch or not... Maybe I should give it a try, and if it does not work out, return it?.....
    Maybe you should do that. Also the 600 will probably address many of the issues you have with the 300, so look for another possible switch in the fall.
    Silverado,

Understood. I will probably do that. If so, I will of course report my experiences to the list.

Although, if I end up keeping the g1000, I don't think I will be able to afford the 600 in the fall... It will be hard enough to not get killed by my wife for yet another gadget purchased...
    Silverado,

Understood. I will probably do that. If so, I will of course report my experiences to the list.

Although, if I end up keeping the g1000, I don't think I will be able to afford the 600 in the fall... It will be hard enough to not get killed by my wife for yet another gadget purchased...
    In that case I hope you don't get to keep the Hitachi so that you'd be a Treo user come this fall

Sometimes it takes a few days of using something and having the novelty wear off before we can really decide what offers the best utility overall.
    Originally posted by vgill

I much prefer the sony Clie TG50 method of screen + keyboard. A lot more useable. Eg, netfront 3.0 on clie TG50 was useable when viewing cnn.com, but the same program on the Hitachi was not. Had to scroll around too much, causing RAGE.
    Would you like something like this instead?

http://users.adelphia.net/~philipvol...SP250HiRes.jpg

I can't credit for that. Someone posted this mockup in a thread over at cliesource. Kinda interesting though...
    Blah! It's like a Palm version of the Hitachi. Still too big. Too long. I hope the new Treo doesn't cross some imaginary boundary between small and big by virtue of being longer.
  15.    #15  
    Silverado,

I had the same rationale, play with it for a while and see what I like. One thing drove me batty - the vision connectivity would work fine once I manually connected it (or from within netfront), but it would not automatically connect from other programs like AIM or pocketIRC. I had to manually toggle connectivity from the settings panel and then go into the program.

The other thing was that if you powered the pda off, it would log you out of vision. I don't know about others but I keep my vision connected at all times (arrows go grey), this means that _most_ of the time I try to access the web, I get a little wait and then the system proceeds as normal. However, on the G1000, I had to dial the vision for things like aol etc. And if I flipped off the pda, (not the phone part), it would need to reconnect to vision by dialing #777 all over again.

I guess those little things like that make the treo such a winner over the Pocket PC interface. What a joke.

/v
    I also took a look at the G1000 while in a CompUSA. It definitely is too big for me to use as a phone. However, I am toying with the idea of dumping my Treo 300, adding the Hitachi to my account as a second phone and buying a small vision phone for my main number. The reason to do this is that I want a wireless device that is not dependent upon WiFi access. Since it doesn't look good for the Sony Ericsson T608 on Sprint, which would allow me to use a bluetooth connection with a Palm device, such as the Tungsten C.

Of course, I could just be patient and see whether the screen on the 600 is acceptable.

I hate being patient.

Geoffrey
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Would you like something like this instead?

http://users.adelphia.net/~philipvol...SP250HiRes.jpg

I can't credit for that. Someone posted this mockup in a thread over at cliesource. Kinda interesting though...
    It looks great -- at first glance. Then I start to notice the little gotchas:
    • Number keys are arranged in a neat but impractical row at the top of the keyboard instead of in a more sensible telephone keypad configuration.
    • The onscreen telephone pad looks nice but I had that with my VisorPhone two years ago. Unless this feature is a supplement to a physical telephone-style keypad, this device would be be a downgrade from my Treo 270 in this respect.
    • Those hideous Sony hard keys, including the arrow stump. These keys should be banned from the face of all PDAs.
    • Size. I assume that this would have the form factor of a Sony NX/NZ series PDA without the keyboard/hard case. This would make it span over five inches long and tip the scales at 7-7.5 ounces. As nice as the screen would be, I'd much rather have a small, pocketable phone like my Treo 270.

Overall, it looks like what it is -- the dream machine of a guy who loves the Sony NX/NZ PDAs but who wishes they could double as cell phones. Ultimately, I think that the only way to get acceptable sized cell phone/PDA using NX/NZ hardware is by giving up the hi-res+ screen and "settling" for a mere 320x320 screen which would make this device the envy of smartphone users everywhere.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Everybody forgets that the one of the bast parts of the Treo wasn't the hardware, but the way the software worked well with everthing. The 600 promises even better software.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Originally posted by DarthRepublican
    Ultimately, I think that the only way to get acceptable sized cell phone/PDA using NX/NZ hardware is by giving up the hi-res+ screen and "settling" for a mere 320x320 screen which would make this device the envy of smartphone users everywhere.
    Agreed.
    He simply doesnt know any of the keyboard shortcuts.

The first thing I didnt like was how I always had the stylus out. After using common sense I started picking up the shortcuts for apps. Like the phone program, you can hit hte arrows to toggle from your call log to your speed dial. I hated using the sylus / tapping the csreen by hand.

I could never go back to a treo after this. I got 256meg stick of Sandisk memory last night. copied 2 episodes of seinfeld, 2 full cds of mp3s and still have 25meg left on it

I like watching real media streams. goto http://videocast.nih.gov and under past events, all those real videos work on the G1000, you can READ THE CLOSED CAPTIONING. its amazing

treo is good for getting simple email done. but this is a multimedia powerhouse. I hooked up the headphone jack to my car system and listen to mp3's and tv shows threw my car speakers. I can do the same for voice calls as well
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast