Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am still looking for a TREO300SMS app for the G1000, it keeps saying it does not allow for SENDING sms messages, what is the work around for this???
    Since it doesn't look good for the Sony Ericsson T608 on Sprint,
    Actually, somone over on HoFo posted a link to the t608 work in progress page on sprintpcs.com.

Release appears to be imminenant.

-rob
  3. purpleX
    Originally posted by quake8
    I am still looking for a TREO300SMS app for the G1000, it keeps saying it does not allow for SENDING sms messages, what is the work around for this???
    ask for apps here. There is a 3rd party SMS, tho it should have SMS inbox. SMS is threated as just another inbox message.
    http://pdaphonehome.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=54

SMS in G1000
    http://pdaphonehome.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3159

I am still not sure why anybody want to buy G1000 when we know the PPC2k3 is about to be released and it has far more tuning than PPCPE 2k2.

Borwser for eg. is notoriously slow in 2k2, but I am surprised nobody has complained about it yet compared to treo. (I guess treo browser is even slower)
  4. purpleX
    Originally posted by DarthRepublican

It looks great -- at first glance. Then I start to notice the little gotchas:
    • Number keys are arranged in a neat but impractical row at the top of the keyboard instead of in a more sensible telephone keypad configuration.
    • The onscreen telephone pad looks nice but I had that with my VisorPhone two years ago. Unless this feature is a supplement to a physical telephone-style keypad, this device would be be a downgrade from my Treo 270 in this respect.
    • Those hideous Sony hard keys, including the arrow stump. These keys should be banned from the face of all PDAs.
    • Size. I assume that this would have the form factor of a Sony NX/NZ series PDA without the keyboard/hard case. This would make it span over five inches long and tip the scales at 7-7.5 ounces. As nice as the screen would be, I'd much rather have a small, pocketable phone like my Treo 270.

Overall, it looks like what it is -- the dream machine of a guy who loves the Sony NX/NZ PDAs but who wishes they could double as cell phones. Ultimately, I think that the only way to get acceptable sized cell phone/PDA using NX/NZ hardware is by giving up the hi-res+ screen and "settling" for a mere 320x320 screen which would make this device the envy of smartphone users everywhere.
    If you are in PPC scene, you will immediately pick up that this is an experimental/'see if they like it' kinda device.

-for eg. it has very new and advance trainable voice recognition, instead of a semi preset voice recognizer. Microsoft is collecting voice recognition data for next Zero touch phone functionality (Previous experiance in HWR indicates, Consumer don't like training softwares. They just conclude it doesn't work when the training fails)

-it has keyboard. Something that majority of PPC users consider a dubious feature. But Microsoft apparently wants some marketing data to make sure they are not missing anything. Microsoft also has little support in the OS side for keyboard in the level of SIP. For eg. if you notice the utility for keyboard is not as advance as other SIP.

This G1000 is a totally odd ball model in context of its cousins. It just doesn't fit, knowing what we know the next version of PPC PE is going to be, the WANDA.
  5. purpleX
    Originally posted by vgill

One word: useability

The palm software I use on the treo is faster and much more elegant than anything on the PPC, not to mention the incredible work HS has done to make the treo actually work as a phone. For example, to dial someone, all I need to do is while at the phone screen is to start typing a few letters of their name in and viola, there they are.

Same for the browser (I did pay for netfront 3.0 for the PPC and for Agenda Fusion), and while netfront is nicer than the blazer, it is impossible to use without a stylus. The hell with that.

So after spending a large amount of money on PPC software, I am back to the treo 300.

So much for that plan.
    -there is such thing as 30 trial softwares, including netfront and all phone utilities.

-ftx, supports fullscreen browsing, and it's free.

-RTFM.

You can initiate an outgoing call several different ways:
    * Press the Call (green phone hard button) button, which will turn on the T-Mobile and launch the dialing application. From here, you can press the Call button once again to dial the last called number which is displayed on the screen.
    * If you don't want to dial the last called number, you can use your fingers to press the phone pad to dial the desired number. Of course, this isn't the best way to dial when you're trying to drive though! I also would not do this without some sort of screen protection!
    * Another way to dial is to press the Call button, and then press the directional pad to the right to launch the call log. From there you can scroll thru the entries and then press the Call button on the number you want to dial to initiate the call.
    * You can use your Contacts application to dial numbers too. You just scroll to the person you want to call, then use the directional pad to scroll left and right thru the numbers that you have entered for that contact. When the number you want to call is shown, press the Call button and it will be dialed.
    * Besides your regular Contacts listings, there is also another phonebook for numbers stored on the SIM card. This is just a simple list of names and numbers without any other contact info associated to them. To me the only reason to use it, is just way to 'backup' your numbers to the SIM card.
    * Tapping on a phone number weblink in a webpage using Pocket Internet Explorer will also initiate a call.
    * The fastest way to dial a number is to use the speed dial. You can just press the Call button, and then press and hold down the speed dial number assigned to the number you want to call. If you have (123) 456-7890 assigned to speed dial position 3, you would hold down the 3 on the dial pad to call that number. A maximum of 99 numbers can be added to the speed dial list.

http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/tmobile-review.html

-usual way to initiate phone dialing via "typing few letters' in contact list. (screenshot)
    http://www.ppcw.net/index.php?itemid=1403
  6. purpleX
    Originally posted by silverado
    I have more than 700 entries in my address book, most with more than one number. How can voice dial help me with this today?
    what makes you think voice dial doesn't have command 'call xxxx at home'/'at work' and other command?
    http://www.pocketpcmag.com/sep03/Ima...pt03_p21-1.jpg

Oh, that's right, I forgot. Usability is "fluf", not concrete enough. Who cares about whether something is truly usable for the end user and blends very well in their daily routine. Let's talk about straightforward things like capabilities and specs.
    no, let's talk straight comparison instead of imaginary comparison. I am sure the imaginary PPC you are thinking fit every treo fan boy fantasy nicely, but sometimes reality intrudes. Do you even know PPC menu structure, short cuts options, set ups and utilities?

imaginary comparison and fantasy claim is what fluff is about.
    Originally posted by silverado

I have more than 700 entries in my address book, most with more than one number. How can voice dial help me with this today?

Oh, that's right, I forgot. Usability is "fluf", not concrete enough. Who cares about whether something is truly usable for the end user and blends very well in their daily routine. Let's talk about straightforward things like capabilities and specs.
    I hear you on that one. I've got close to a thousand contacts in my Address Book. Voice dialing is fine for a few entries (as a replacement for your speed-dial screen), but it's not something I'd want to devote the resources to for hundreds of contacts. Voice recognition technology has come a long way, but it's easy to end up calling the wrong person when you've got THAT many contacts.

The G1000 is simply too big to use comfortably with one hand as a phone. The usability is a key factor for me. That's why I'm looking forward to the Treo 600.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by purpleX

what makes you think voice dial doesn't have command 'call xxxx at home'/'at work' and other command?
    http://www.pocketpcmag.com/sep03/Ima...pt03_p21-1.jpg

I didn't mean that you can't do that. I meant that with so many numbers, speech recognition would be error-prone, and I'd have to double check to see if is dialing the right number. Also (I feel like a broken record) voice dialing isn't a solution for every situation. For example, it doesn't work well in noisy situations or when you need to be discreet. Voice dialing is very nice as an option... I would definitely use it sometimes. But if it's the main method I need to rely on (if it actually works accurately), then that's not acceptable to me

no, let's talk straight comparison instead of imaginary comparison. I am sure the imaginary PPC you are thinking fit every treo fan boy fantasy nicely, but sometimes reality intrudes. Do you even know PPC menu structure, short cuts options, set ups and utilities?

imaginary comparison and fantasy claim is what fluff is about.
    Search this board and try to find a single place I said that PPC isn't usable. I clearly said I haven't used it and I don't know. All I ever do is counter your claims that Palm OS is trash. Palm OS is extremely task-oriented and user friendly. That's all I ever said.

I know little about PPC devices. What made me stay away from even considering them over time has been battery performance, price and size. Battery and price are finally reasonable, but size isn't, as far as I'm concerned. My last normal PDA was an m500, didn't see a PPC device that size when I was buying it. Then came the Treo, didn't see anything in the same league with the same size then. Now I've looked at the SPV and I really don't like it. I need my keyboard because I write a lot. It doesn't even have a touch screen. So it doesn't fit MY needs.
    Last edited by silverado; 07/18/2003 at 05:07 AM.
    Well, imagine myself putting a Treo 270 down a table in a meeting of a company that makes Pocket PC. I considered a heretic! But I told the managers until and when you build one with a good phone integration I am sticking with this.

I was offered a big ipaq with the GSM sleeve. Wow, that was big. I could put a keyboard if I wanted to. Wow, even bigger. And the integration is not even there.

Now, I saw our current product line and there is a keyboard attached to the unit but not at the size of our wonderful H9140 product line.

Before I bought the Treo, I used an ipaq and I loved it. But not for me. I needed the size of an H1910 before it was launched but with a keyboard. There were so many things those ipaqs can do but which I don't need. Imagine if they put a phone and a keyboard on the H1940 and there are rumours on the Net that my company will use that form factor as a phone? But it could be light years away (Internet-time wise )

What I need today is in the Treo. As simple as that. I could have opted for a Symbian phone such as the P800 but when the SE product manager confirmed there was no plan to make a keyboard accessory I dropped it. So, what do I do? I buy BackdropGC software, installed RecoEcho, install Today to make it more colorful and pleasing to the eye as if it were a Pocket PC
  10. purpleX
    be carefull what you are asking for.

Meet:

TI Wanda

iPaq h1910 = (4.46" x 2.75" x 0.50") 4.23 oz.
    TI Wanda = (4.63" x 2.93" x 0.79") 6.1 oz.
    be carefull what you are asking for.

Meet:

TI Wanda

iPaq h1910 = (4.46" x 2.75" x 0.50") 4.23 oz.
    TI Wanda = (4.63" x 2.93" x 0.79") 6.1 oz.
    Ska, the TI Wanda reference design doesn't include a thumboard forst of all! Secondly, like we discussed before, this is just a ref design with no real proof of any OEM/ODM willing to produce it, and no wireless provider yet willing to commit to it. When someone finally does, then I might be interested. So far the only thing close is the rumored HP iPaq with integrated phone...but its just a rumor for now...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  12. purpleX
    We'll just have to see if it is your theory, or Digitimes report is the correct one. My money is on Digitimes.

and really, not the thumboard again. Once G1000 is dead, that will be a proof enough that nobody wants thumboard.
    Lots of folks want the thumbboard - Blackberry users - Treo users - people who need to do rapid messaging and text entry.
    Thumbboard rules!
    Bottom line - there's enough market share to go around, and time will tell what text entry mode will ultimately win.
    We'll just have to see if it is your theory, or Digitimes report is the correct one. My money is on Digitimes.

and really, not the thumboard again. Once G1000 is dead, that will be a proof enough that nobody wants thumboard.
    I agree it may indeed arrive by the end of the year, but your evidence to back it up is specious at best. The Digitimes report you keep referring only mentions that NDC will supply the 802.11b modules for the Wanda. It makes no mention if an OEM or wireless provider will support it. If I were you to argue (er troll) the Wanda concept, it would make more sense to mention the Computex show where certain "venders" are supposedly showing off the concept. Sheesh, do I have to help you troll now ska? Secondly, its not my theory. If you went to the link I provided, you would know that...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  15. purpleX
    first of all the inquiry news is a rumor about upcoming trade show that hasn't happened yet. You take THAT more over a digitimes report.

One is a trade publication, the other is industry's gossip column.

simply brilliant. Keep the wishfull thinking tho', TI might even cancel WANDA too or Microsoft goes bankrupt next month...

Here is the 'no real proof', Digitimes only passingly mention NDC involvement with TI and accidentally mention "It is expected that a WANDA PDA may be launched before year-end." mmm... I don't think it has anything to do with invesment trend or notable tech aliance... hey it's just another boring day in tech invesment newsbit...
    Oh wow, is Purplex still here spreading cheer and delight to all? Well anyway just dropping by to say that to my own shock and horror, I did get a G-1000 today. I certainly never was planning to go this route, but this past week I just about had it with my old Nokia and couldn't wait to replace it any longer. Initial user impressions on the G-1000 were positive enough that I was willing to chance it. Plus CompUSA was chopping $100 off the G-1000 so I grabbed one and it's charging now. At first, it looks just plain weird, I admit. It doesn't have the smaller grace and elegance of the Treo 600. But it quickly grew on me and now I think it looks just fine. The screen is very crisp and sharp but the one I saw in the store was not very bright even when turned up to max brightness. So I'm not expecting much from mine in terms of brightness. I did notice the demo Hitachi had much crisper display than the HP 2215 next to it.

It comes with a very nice leather flip case. Well I think it's real leather--hard to tell for sure. I'm not entirely sure I trust the belt clip on the case, though.

It's big, but not as horrible as I expected. I've carried worse...like my original circa 1996 Nokia. It's light. I'll be able to wear it comfortably clipped to my belt, and may be able to tuck it into pockets on some clothes I own. I'm comfortable with Pocket PC OS, so in some respects I'm glad to stay with it. But I still haven't ruled out the Treo 600. I'll evaluate the G-1000 for the next several days, and will still definitely give the Treo 600 a look when it comes out. But if I like the G-1000 and decide to keep it then maybe I can hold out for the hi-res screen version of the Treo that I hope will eventually come out. We'll see how I fare with this larger device and continued dependence on the stylus.
  17. purpleX
    this is mind boggling, ...

what is it with people in this board and G1000? I swear its the keyboard fetish.

also, Hitachi does not give any indication they are going to upgrade the G1000 to PPC 2k3, which automatically makes this device a dead ender in PPC scene.

PPC PE 2k3 has a lot of phone feature tuning compared to 2k2 the G1000 uses.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobi...3/default.mspx
    Ah, is it possible that at long last you now get it my little perplexed snookie wookums! People are DIFFERENT from you. We don't all want or hate the same things you do. You hate the thumb-board. Oh dear me, how terrible, I guess I shouldn't have gotten this G-1000 then. I admit when I bought it I was deadly afraid you'd think less of me for my purchase. Oh gosh, and what will all my uber-geek friends say? Gee, I didn't think of the reaction. Oh no, do you think they might confiscate my collectors edition Boba Fett action figure???!

As for dead end, what do I care? I know exactly what I'll be loading on this machine, it will all work fine, and I'll be a happy camper for quite awhile, assuming this device doesn't have any hidden disgusting quirks. Which I assume I will uncover before the return period expires. If not, well lucky for me I'm not 14 years old and dependent on my mama for an allowance. I'll get whatever else floats my boat in a few months and sell this or give it to a family member.

Frankly PPC 2003 is currently giving people fits. There are a lot of transition headaches going on. I'd rather spare myself all that for now. My Nokia was dying. I didn't want to shell out for another regular cell phone. I caught a sale on a convergence device and thought I'd give it a try. I'm not trying to impress anyone with the specs. I'm just trying to get a PDA/Phone combo with a halfway decent thumb-board. And I know very well I'm not the only one who likes thumb boards. So I won't worry if some faceless geeks in techdom frown upon them. I march to the beat of my own drummer, laddie.

Actually Purplex, it was good seeing you again. I did miss you. You do amuse me. And actually on occasion I do agree with some observations you make. I just think you're a bit wacked. But that's okay, who isn't. Have fun with your...eh, what is it you own again? I didn't quite catch the make and model of your PDA. I'm sure whatever it is, it is a technological marvel and light years ahead of its time in power, versatility and utility.

Cheers!
    In the world of capitalism, market dynamics will tell whether there is enough market share for all approaches, right?

So, no amount of debate will settle that on a board, right?

I initially wanted an Ericsson R380 for my first convergence device but the Nokia 9210 and its keyboard and the way I use the device shifted me to thumboard-devices.

I didn't want a PDA, even though I could have acquired an IPAQ because of its size. The Treo size was perfect in its time. Even my company came out with a PDA the size of the Treo. That could well be a vindication for the Treo size. I tried using an IPAQ for several days but my pattern of usage was not for an IPAQ, and not because it was poorer technology.

The Treo, its size and thumboard, fits my needs. And if others find the thumboard based on their pattern of usage is the right fit at this time until a better technology supersedes it, I think we will all be wise enough to recognize that, won't we?
    Okay, it's charged now, I'm just trying it on for size. Having worn it around the house for awhile, I must say it is quite a bit larger than I would prefer to lug around at my side all day. I don't think Handspring has anything to worry about from Pocket PC phones with keyboards--on that count Purplex has his point. Not if they are forced to keep the screen as large as it is. I just get the impression the people I've met on this forum don't want to be lugging around anything considerably larger than what they've been lugging around in the Treo 300 and 270. The Wanda type device that Purplex is having kittens over may do all right.

The form factor of the Treo 600 is going to rock, assuming we all can type on that tiny keyboard. I think if you absolutely positively must have a thumb-board, Palm is the way to go. Unless they can figure out how to make a small clamshell device that can accomodate the screen size and resolution Microsoft dictates. This is not a candybar, it is a slab!

Well that's my initial impression for now. BTW, I'm not here to do a bash on either the 600 or the G-1000, or delve into the wonders of Wanda. Getting back to the original subject matter, since I now have a G-1000, and also started out as an admirer of the Treo 600, I thought I'd give a bit of input on what it is like over here on the Large Side for those who are curious and whiling away the weeks until the Treo 600 is released.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast