1.    #1  
    I was standing in a communications closet yesterday working on a PBX and we got to a point where the only thing we could do was dial into the PBX to set some parameters. The only laptops in the room with us had Hyperterminal, and so could have accomplished the task - if they had an outside line to use. I didn't have my laptop w/ palmnet, so I couldn't help.

I couldn't help thinking though, that it would be great if there was a terminal app (dialer, modem connect, emulator) for the Treo. Then I could have solved the problem with my Treo w/o even leaving the closet.

Does such an app exist? I did a search and came up w/ nothing.

Dunc
    Originally posted by Dunc
    Does such an app exist? I did a search and came up w/ nothing.
    There are lots of them. For whatever reason I have 3 different ones on my Treo right now. But I can't remember why. Some of them I remember didn't work properly on the Treo, but I know that Mark/Space's Online worked. But my demo is expired so I can't remember it's features etc.

Whoah that's expensive!
    http://www.markspace.com/online.html

Oh wait, here is a free one I used a long time ago. I just tried it and it works on the Treo, so it's cool. Keep in mind that it has both network and serial based options so you'll have to pick the mode under Menu->Terminal.
    http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseac...are&prodID=552

I kinda liked the look of this one called MTerm but I can't get it working. It's probably the Handspring thing where you have to do like this:

/* disable the keyboard daemon if on a Handspring device */
    if (!FtrGet(hsFtrCreator, hsFtrIDVersion, &tui32))
    HsExtKeyboardEnable(false);

But nobody knew at the time.
  3.    #3  
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are all just terminal emulators. I want the communication app portion too - I want to tell the Treo to dial a number, do a modem handshake, and then let me run the terminal emulator. No Vision connection, just dial up and connect. Can these apps do that?

Dunc
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but those are all just terminal emulators. I want the communication app portion too - I want to tell the Treo to dial a number, do a modem handshake, and then let me run the terminal emulator. No Vision connection, just dial up and connect. Can these apps do that?
    Yes those are terminal emulators. But they'll also do the telnet protocol if you want to go through a network. You can use either mode. You will probably have to use a macro or do the ATDT dialing yourself however.

I kinda like ptelnet. In the Serial mode it has all kinds of ports it can use, even the USB somehow.
  5.    #5  
    No, that won't cut it. I need the app to actually dial in to the remote computer system, then provide me with a terminal app once the handshake has been done.

Dunc
    No, that won't cut it. I need the app to actually dial in to the remote computer system, then provide me with a terminal app once the handshake has been done.
    I was assuming you would have it tied to a serial modem. Is that not the case? If not, then hmm, it may be capable of regular dialing as Scott Gruby has some experience with doing Fax sending through the wireless modem.

Edited to say that I just tried ptelnet and when I selected "Wireless modem" as the serial port, it let me dial via ATDT, and the phone rang.
    Last edited by potatoho; 07/16/2003 at 09:13 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Super! I'll give it a whirl.

Dunc
    Super! I'll give it a whirl.
    If it works, you'll probably be charged a zillion cents per minute. Just making the call and hanging up showed up as a wireless web call. What's that, around $.050/minute or some crazy crap.
  9.    #9  
    Why would it be billed as wireless web? It should be billed as regular voice call, no? I'm dialing in to a system using regular phone lines, no web involved.

Dunc
    They always do that with cellular. It's to bone people who send faxes & stuff.
    I am also a telephone technician and I use Procomm Plus to connect to our pbx systems around the country. I am also on the search for the same thing as Dunc. Any luck with ptelnet, Dunc?
    I'm looking for something similar, although I'd like to use it over a bluetooth connection to socket's bluetooth serial adapter. I need to connect to various serial terminal's to talk to some server machines.

The problem I have with ptelnet on my treo is that it doesn't take any keyboard input. I can pull up the soft keyboard and tap things out with the stylus, but it ignores the hard keys?

Any other suggestions?

jay
    hey all. I work on Nortel PBX's. I succesfully use Online to dial out with the treo's modem and connect to systems. It is not 100 percent but its the best I've found. I've gotten by SEB modems without problems as well and have even done some simple stuff in MeridianMail (if your a Nortel person). the software doesn't have a dial directory so I just cut and paste as needed from an excel doc that has my company's modem list (we're a Nortel vendor). It's nice for quick stuff and although you can't scroll back up the screen you can capture to memo pad or as a txt file on your mem card. give the demo a try.
    sci72 - what exactly are you using again to connect to your pbx's. BTW I am a Mitel technician. I just got my 650 so I am still learning everything about it. It's a great tool in conjuction with my laptop, but I am looking for an application that will allow me to dial to our pbx's connect to their external modem (modem handshake). I just want to eliminate lugging the laptop with me in order to accomplish my work.
    I'm using a program called Online

http://store.markspace.com/product_i...products_id=62

When I connect to Nortel PBX's I use a VT100 terminal, this I can do with 'Online'. The software can also take advatage of the Treo's modem so you can call into your equipment. Now my luck is mixed when doing this and it only seems to work about 50% of the time, still better than nothing though. I actually tend to use it for more of the wow factor, but if your someone who is on call some, it can be great from the standpoint of dialing in and checking one of your systems.
    It looks like CS Online would do what I need for serial communications, but have any of you guys found a cheap cable that you could use to connect to a db9 serial cable? Either a male of female connector would work with a gender changer.
    I connect to cellular equipment for minor programming and would love to be able to use my 650 instead of my laptop when I'm doing simple setting changes and updates, but all the cables I use with my laptop on db9 connectors.
    someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the Treo multi-connector (or whatever palm calls it now) was not pinned out to support a serial connection thus making it impossible to have a serial cable hanging off the 650.
    Has anyone tried CS Online with the powered, true RS232 cable (p/n: PDCT5-M9BATT) from http://www.pcables.com/cat1.html?

I was doing some searching for cables, came across PC Cables and then submitted an email to their support about it. They recommended the above cable with CS Online, but I'd like to get some input if possible, since the cable and program will cost of $100. If it works, no problem, but a little expensive for a paper weight.
    bump
    working on a PBX and we got to a point where the only thing we could do was dial into the PBX to set some parameters. I guess their is something you have to do with your PBX.