Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, apparently in less then 2-3 weeks the SGH i500 is coming out and my trigger finger is getting itchy....UGH!!!!! Man, why do they have a preorder, WHY?!?!?!?

Hurry Treo 600!!! HURRRRRRY!!!!!

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
    I doubt it will be here in a few weeks. You don't even see the OS 4 version in wide distribution. Additionally, it isn't high res, and it doesn't have a keyboard, so I don't think it's going to be so much better than the Treo as to warrant purchasing it for a few months more use.
    Originally posted by TheHandlessKing
    So, apparently in less then 2-3 weeks the SGH i500 is coming out and my trigger finger is getting itchy....UGH!!!!! Man, why do they have a preorder, WHY?!?!?!?

Hurry Treo 600!!! HURRRRRRY!!!!!

TheHandlessKing

We're a bunch of real geeks, aren't we
    I would be cautious with that "just-talk" website (if thats what you were referring to). I know brighthand published the release info (I'm the one that informed them about it), but from what I hear from the boards at HoFo's, that site is infamous about delaying their release dates! Apparently alot of phones on that site get delayed repeatedly right before the release date for some reason. Perhaps to woo people into pre-ordering? I dunno... Anyway good luck with your choice...
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Anyway good luck with your choice...
    Well, my choice is the GSM Treo 600, I can't live without a keyboard but...ugh, don't you wish you had an unlimited cash flow?

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
    TheHandlessKing

Good things come to those who wait!

I don't know when exactly the Treo 600 will be hitting the market but I'll bet the folks at Hanspring are moving as fast as they can to get their product ready for market. It may not be as long as you think.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Anybody know if the t600 will be available on a pre-order basis?

Cluemeister
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I doubt it will be here in a few weeks. You don't even see the OS 4 version in wide distribution. Additionally, it isn't high res, and it doesn't have a keyboard, so I don't think it's going to be so much better than the Treo as to warrant purchasing it for a few months more use.
    I am less entralled with the " stewart little" keyboard (as one critic put it) or enraged by the 12 bit screen of the Treo as most who post here.

What does impress me is the better overall specs of the SGH i500 v. Treo, and of course the huge advantage of a removable battery. And frankly I like clamshells.

But as I have posted before, I will give the Treo 600 a chance, since I was supporter before, if: 1) the Treo 600 keyboard is not too small to be useful; 2) the Treo 600 software is more intergrated than the SGH i500; AND 3) The T600 comes out significantly earlier than the SGH i500.

So right now it does not look good for the Handspring.
    I agree that the SGH looks very very very cool. In fact, I would buy it in a flash if it were available on Sprint and had a keyboard. But the keyboard is simply head and shoulders above other input forms both for device navigation and for data entry. While I love the size of the SGH, unless there is a way to accomplish basically everything there is to do with one hand, I cannot buy it.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    I dont see how its really that important to be able to do every single thing one handed... the only thing I can see important is dialing and looking up numbers with one hand.
    Maybe for some people it isn't that important, but one of the first times I use it in a day is always one handed. As I get out of my car, I jot down the parking location so I'm never looking for it at the end of the day. If I'm talking on my work phone and I need to use the Treo, again it has to be one handed. Anytime I'm carrying something (briefcase, coffee) it is very impractical to put it down (which would mean I'd have to stop walking). There are other times that I've used it one handed where two hands wouldn't be feasible or at least would be more of a headache. As far as I'm concerned, the ability to operate a device with one hand represents an improvement along a whole new dimension and is an absolute must in any PDA or phone I have or ever will have.
    I dont see how its really that important to be able to do every single thing one handed.

Faster and convenient, not important.

the only thing I can see important is dialing and looking up numbers with one hand.

For a phone, that "only thing" sounds pretty important.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70

Faster and convenient, not important.
    That's odd. You think that if something is made faster and easier that isn't necessarily important?
    KRamsauer:

I tend to think of "important" as "essential". Improvements in convenience are significant, but not important as I define it.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Maybe for some people it isn't that important, but one of the first times I use it in a day is always one handed. As I get out of my car, I jot down the parking location so I'm never looking for it at the end of the day. If I'm talking on my work phone and I need to use the Treo, again it has to be one handed. Anytime I'm carrying something (briefcase, coffee) it is very impractical to put it down (which would mean I'd have to stop walking). There are other times that I've used it one handed where two hands wouldn't be feasible or at least would be more of a headache. As far as I'm concerned, the ability to operate a device with one hand represents an improvement along a whole new dimension and is an absolute must in any PDA or phone I have or ever will have.
    Wouldn't you be able to type using the phone keypad using either predictive text or multiple taps per button? You could write a in memo pad (slowly) that way to record your parking spot, with a single hand.

I personally would find that very slow, but if you really like the device otherwise, you should weigh the slow speed of typing against all the other benefits.
    Last edited by silverado; 07/19/2003 at 07:48 PM.
    Sure glad you got rid to the two headded turtle(s), time for a change. What is your technique for opening and answering the 300 one-handed? I am always afraid of poping the flip lid off if I use my thumb.
    TD
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft

I am less entralled with the " stewart little" keyboard (as one critic put it) or enraged by the 12 bit screen of the Treo as most who post here.

What does impress me is the better overall specs of the SGH i500 v. Treo, and of course the huge advantage of a removable battery. And frankly I like clamshells.

But as I have posted before, I will give the Treo 600 a chance, since I was supporter before, if: 1) the Treo 600 keyboard is not too small to be useful; 2) the Treo 600 software is more intergrated than the SGH i500; AND 3) The T600 comes out significantly earlier than the SGH i500.

So right now it does not look good for the Handspring.
    Actually, I think the Handspring is still well-positioned. 1) The SGH i500 is a GSM phone, which in this country means the phone is way better than the networks available to support it; 2) The SGH i500 is made by Samsung. I don't know why there has been a one-year (and counting) interval between announcement of the SPH i500 and its actual appearance in a store, but I tend to blame the manufacturer. If it were Sprint's fault, how come there are other vision phones on the market? I think Samsung deliberately promises more than it can deliver, and we won't see the SGH i500 until 2004.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Originally posted by DSDxp
    I dont see how its really that important to be able to do every single thing one handed... the only thing I can see important is dialing and looking up numbers with one hand.
    You are on the right track. It's dialing and looking up ANYTHING with one hand. For typing, I imagine people will use both thumbs.
    Originally posted by Tourdewolf
    Sure glad you got rid to the two headded turtle(s), time for a change. What is your technique for opening and answering the 300 one-handed? I am always afraid of poping the flip lid off if I use my thumb.
    TD
    I've always assumed people use Treo one handed, and can open the lid one handed...

What I do is hold the Treo 180 in the palm of my hands, grip it with my pinky, middle finger, and the part of my palm below the thumb. Then, I push the lid out using my ring finger, and tip the lid the rest of the way with my middle finger.
    Originally posted by conflagrare

I've always assumed people use Treo one handed, and can open the lid one handed...

What I do is hold the Treo 180 in the palm of my hands, grip it with my pinky, middle finger, and the part of my palm below the thumb. Then, I push the lid out using my ring finger, and tip the lid the rest of the way with my middle finger.
    That's what I do. It's actually harder to describe how I do it than to do it.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast