1.    #1  
    The press releases keep on coming! This one is about the new Blazer 3.0. This article says that Blazer 3.0's core is based on NetFront v3.0 developed by ACCESS (http://www.access.co.jp/english/index.html).

I hope this barrage is just the beginning of a strong marketing strategy for the Treo 600, which is exactly what the previous line of Treos was missing!
    Last edited by silverado; 07/15/2003 at 04:40 PM.
  2.    #2  
    Here is what seems to be a better web site.

http://www.access-us-inc.com/index.asp

The features listed for the PPC version look impressive!! The zoomed views and smart fit alone look to be worth a lot! It makes browsing the web on a low resolution screen less of an issue. If you need ot see more details, just zoom in and scroll to look at pictures, like maps, etc. in higher detail. I hope much of these features will be available on the Palm version.
  3. purpleX
    The palm version is not the same as the full version. It will be exactly like the one in Tungsten|C. Apparently this is the first windfall of the merger.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by purpleX
    The palm version is not the same as the full version. It will be exactly like the one in Tungsten|C. Apparently this is the first windfall of the merger.
    According to the press release from ACCESS, HS has developed its own customized version of the core. So it's not "the Palm version".

How do you know that it is "exactly like the one in Tungsten|C"?

I doubt this is a windfall of the merger. The merger couldn't have been in the works for more than a few months and just accepted recently. There is no way that HS decided on the Browser for their new product so late in the game.
    Very cool!! However, I hope the new Blazer doesn't have the same cache problems on the treo 600 that Netfront has on the TC...
  6. purpleX
    Originally posted by silverado

How do you know that it is "exactly like the one in Tungsten|C"?

I doubt this is a windfall of the merger. The merger couldn't have been in the works for more than a few months and just accepted recently. There is no way that HS decided on the Browser for their new product so late in the game.
    hhmm.. you are right, the merger isn't there yet.

I am speculating from what I know.
    -Palm has had difficulty writing a browser on it's own. they tried and failed and finally just license netfront. Ditto with Handspring. Blazer 2.0 is an aquisition instead of in house development.

-T|C /NX are using netfront engine. It's done and running. why reinvent the wheel?

at anyrate, it could be the full version of netfront, but I seriously doubt it. It could just be a modified version, "similar" to what they do in Tungsten| C.
    More info here.
    Nice pics of blazer in the above link btw...

I only wished the new Blazer also supported HTTP, RTSP for streaming capabilites....
    I worry a bit about moving to a non-proxy browser. Anyone tried PocketLink? You would notice how hard the Treo has to work to grab all of the images with separate connections.

As long as the Blazer 3.0 still does everything with a single connection, then it should be ok. Blazer 2.x does independent requests for images anyhow, but it's not so bad since they do them through a single outgoing connection to the proxy with HTTP 1.1. PocketLink on the other hand, makes a separate HTTP connection for each item, which resulted in 6 separate connections just to browse microsoft.com.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by potatoho
    I worry a bit about moving to a non-proxy browser. Anyone tried PocketLink? You would notice how hard the Treo has to work to grab all of the images with separate connections.

As long as the Blazer 3.0 still does everything with a single connection, then it should be ok. Blazer 2.x does independent requests for images anyhow, but it's not so bad since they do them through a single outgoing connection to the proxy with HTTP 1.1. PocketLink on the other hand, makes a separate HTTP connection for each item, which resulted in 6 separate connections just to browse microsoft.com.
    Don't you think single vs multiple connections would be less of an issue with the faster processor and OS 5? Multiple connections can result in better overall throughput when the images are being retrieved from multiple sources, which is the case when there are clickthrough ads on the page.
    Don't you think single vs multiple connections would be less of an issue with the faster processor and OS 5? Multiple connections can result in better overall throughput when the images are being retrieved from multiple sources, which is the case when there are clickthrough ads on the page.
    Multiple connections creates huge delays (in establishing the connection etc) with wireless due to the round trip times. Perhaps it shouldn't, but it does.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by potatoho

Multiple connections creates huge delays (in establishing the connection etc) with wireless due to the round trip times. Perhaps it shouldn't, but it does.
    I don't know if the network layer in Palm OS handles multiple connections concurrently. If it doesn't, then that could be the reason.

From the days of the original Mosaic, one could set the max number of connections to open. People used to set it to 1 if they were using slow connections and higher if they were on fast ones. Wish those micro browsers had such options.

I don't know if the network layer in Palm OS handles multiple connections concurrently.
    Yes it's either 4 concurrent or 16, I can't remember which. I think it is max 16 sockets but 4 actually connected. But the problem is how long it takes to connect. There's the DNS delay, so bad that EudoraWeb implemented their own DNS lookup code, and then the connection handshake itself can take several seconds.

I imagine that Handspring ensured that it is using HTTP 1.1 like Blazer 2.x. At that point there would only be a performance hit when changing sites.
    While researching things. . . I installed the TREO600 emulator. It list V3 for the Blazer Browser, the attached image show the DHTML/Javscript interetation, which seems to work, just fine. This is a simple page that it is looking at though.

blammo
    Attached Images Attached Images