Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    You know if I am not mistakin, isnt a 160 * 160 screen the same resolution on my SPHI-300 and I330?...I mean that screen sucks, I cant believe how bad pictures will look on it. I hate that the Smartphone looks so well designed but that messed up on the screen...

Any thoughts guys????.......
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    G1000 is 640x480
    Originally posted by mrkalel

Any thoughts guys????.......
    Yeah, don't get the Treo. You won't like it.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I think Handspring/Palm will offer a Treo 6xx with a better screen as their "deluxe" model, 3-6 months after the 600 hits the stores.
    They supposedly kept the screen the same at 12 bit 160x160 to conserve battery life. Whether that's the real reason or not, it should help with battery life even if they only went up to a 16 bit 320x320 screen like on the Clies.
    isnt a 160 * 160 screen the same resolution on my SPHI-300 and I330?...I mean that screen sucks, I cant believe how bad pictures will look on it.
    Same resolution, but the samsungs only have 256 colors. The treos have 4096 colors. Pictures will look better but not great.

-rob
    My main issue with the screen only being 160x160 is that I use it for documents and spreadsheets a lot. With that resolution I only get a few cells across. I was looking at a high-res OS 5 device and I can get a lot more on screen. Add in the reduction in screen size and I have to think twice about whether it's time to decouple my devices.

Geoffrey
    Yes, the screen does suck and its very disappointing to me. But have no fear, the Samsung SGH i500 is going to be released in a couple of weeks. Check out Brighthand.com for more info. Its a Palm OS phone that has all the features like the treo 600 and then some including a high res screen. Its very cool.

Yoyo
    Originally posted by YoYoman412
    Yes, the screen does suck and its very disappointing to me. But have no fear, the Samsung SGH i500 is going to be released in a couple of weeks. Check out Brighthand.com for more info. Its a Palm OS phone that has all the features like the treo 600 and then some including a high res screen. Its very cool.

Yoyo
    I'm not so sure about the SGH-I500 resolution. The Samsung website still says that it has "162 x 176 pixels (324 x 352 support)". Even Just Talk, Inc's website, which is taking preorders on the device says:
    Two displays: 1) Internal - a touchscreen, which has a resolution of 162176 pixels (it can also support the resolution of 324352 pixels); it is TFT-65K display, which contains up to 14 text lines. 2) External OLED display (9664 pixels) is capable to show up to 256 colors
    Based on this information from Samsung, all I could infer is that it means that the device would run OS 5 apps written for high resolution, but its display is basically 160x160. This could be accomplished in a variety of ways, all of which basically shrink a a 320x320 image to 160x160 and display it on so many pixels.

I would be very happy to be proven wrong when the device comes out.
    Last edited by silverado; 07/15/2003 at 02:54 PM.
    i find it interesting that the latest color blackberry was apparently just released (see other thread in this forum) and the resolution looks to be about the same as the treo. different numbers but mainly because the screen is shaped differently. at the very least, handspring is apparently not alone in their reasoning...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.

Yoyo
    But no keyboard.
    Yes, the Treo 600 does suck cuz it doesn't have a 1600x1200 rez. What were they thinking? As we all know, higher rez is always better.
    Even if the SGH-i500 is 160x160, it still has a better screen than the Treo 600 as the SGH has over 65,000 colors while the Treo has over 4,000 colors. And yes, there is a difference. If the SGH is high res, then the SGH beats the Treo screen even more. I think its just plain silly to say the Treo 600 has a good screen even if its somewhat brighter. 12 bit just doesent cut it these days.

Yoyo
    Even if the SGH-i500 is 160x160, it still has a better screen than the Treo 600 as the SGH has over 65,000 colors while the Treo has over 4,000 colors. And yes, there is a difference. If the SGH is high res, then the SGH beats the Treo screen even more. I think its just plain silly to say the Treo 600 has a good screen even if its somewhat brighter. 12 bit just doesent cut it these days.

Yoyo
    I think you're downplaying the importance of brightness. I have no idea how bright the Samsung screen is, but a mobile phone that you cannot read in the sun is a real pain (as demonstrated by my trying to use my Treo in the sun).
    Originally posted by quake8
    G1000 is 640x480
    You're referring to the G100 camera right?! it's screen is the standard PPC 240x320...