Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by josephtse
    Yes, Yes, i've heard this argument dozens of times before, but how many times have people told me that i have a big phone, or a fat phone? At least 3 or 4 times. Thats enough to hurt my feelings. Yes, my Treo 300 is one fat phone. It just doesnt look like a phone..it looks like a brick. The Nokia 3650 has a narrower screen than the Treo 300. The 300's screen is exactly 2 inches wide I believe. The nokia's screen is narrower. And I saw the nokia in action, it is fine. In fact, there may be more screen area on the Nokia than the treo 300, and 600, because the screen is longer. I think the next Treo 700 can pull that off, make a narrower phone, but make the screen longer. Thats the design of the 600, is it not? Candy bar style? So if Handspring can pull off a 4.5" by 2.1" by .85" phone, and give the phone some sexy curves, I think the phone will appeal to a lot of youngsters, the 30 and under crowd, which will definitely win a lot of new niche business over to Handspring..versus all the youngsters buying all the Nokia phones.
    My co-worker, a friend, always jokes about my "80s" phone (the 270).

I tell him he can talk when his little phone can surf the web check email, write word/excel files he can talk. Shuts him up.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The Nokia 3650 has a narrower screen than the Treo 300. The 300's screen is exactly 2 inches wide I believe. The nokia's screen is narrower. And I saw the nokia in action, it is fine. In fact, there may be more screen area on the Nokia than the treo 300, and 600, because the screen is longer.
    Sheesh, just go and buy your Nokia already and simmer down!!!!
    This is a ~$500 phone, which is not targeted at youngsters. If someone's ego is so fragile that .1-.2" in the width of their phone is enough to hurt them, I would suggest they buy a $50 Nokia and use the rest of the money for counseling.

<snip> So if Handspring can pull off a 4.5" by 2.1" by .85" phone, and give the phone some sexy curves, I think the phone will appeal to a lot of youngsters, the 30 and under crowd, which will definitely win a lot of new niche business over to Handspring..versus all the youngsters buying all the Nokia phones.
    ROFLMAO! You think the Treos are bricks? Try lugging around my Hitachi G1000!!! THAT is not a brick, it's one of the slabs the Ten Commandments were inscribed on. I love it though, it's become indispensible to me in a way my previous phone and PPC were not. The keyboard is extremely comfortable and I rarely make a typo on it. I can't wait to see the keyboard on the Treo 600 and compare the usability.

When people comment on the size of the Hitachi, I just nod and say "Yep." My feelings are not hurt. I understand the device is large and geeky looking. So what. I could care less what anyone thinks about the size of my "phone". It's not even a phone. It is for me, a laptop killer. An amazing little device and it is attracting some envy, actually, and not derision. I bet the Treo 600 is also going to intrigue a lot of onlookers. For a form factor really not all that much larger than a lot of cell phones, the user is going to get a huge amount of functionality that should make it worth the tradeoff carrying around a little bit of extra weight and size. If I can feel that way about my Hitachi, I know a lot of people here will feel that way about the Treo 600.

And anyone who thinks the Treo 600 is a huge phone must be too young to remember what cell phones used to look like. You ought to see my very first circa 1996 Nokia. That was a true brick that is actually quite a bit thicker and longer than my Hitachi, and all it did was make phone calls and hold a very rudimentary contact list. Cell phones and handhelds sure have come a long way very fast. People forget how clunky and inelegant previous generations of devices were. Nothing is ever good enough. Whatever we have in our grasp now, we want it smaller, faster, more powerful.

Personally I think the designers of the Treo 600 have already made a hair too many tradeoffs in the pursuit of the smallest possible form factor. I don't think I could bring myself to trade my Hitachi for a 600, no matter how much I will come to envy the 600's size and appearance.
    Well, I'm not gonna go into details I've discussed in other threads again, but if you think the 600 is too big, then try carrying around a phone, PDA, MP3 player and a camera...and maintaining the batteries and charging of those as well. Suddenly, the Treo 600 doesn't seem so big.
    'cuse me, even though this message has been replied to a couple of times already, I still gotta reply to it. hehe

This damn phone is still too fat! Look at the Nokia 3650. It's a big phone, and pretty wide, at 2.2 inches. The treo 600 is 2.26 inches, the whole way up! So it's still gonna look like brick for a phone. At least they could have made some curves like the Nokia 3650.
    The problem with curves is that they take up space. Judging from your obvious disgust at the size of the device, I would say you would rather have a smaller device than a bigger, but curvy device.

But I'm asking for a skinnier phone, like 2.1 to 2.0 inches. (Are you listening Jeff Hawkins?)
    Yes he listened. That was the top priority of Treo 600.

And why'd you put the numbers on the left hand side?!!! If I'm to do everything with my right hand (majority of ppl are right handed in this world) the numbers should have stayed on teh right side because my thumb is long enough to reach there, but it is not long enough to reach to the left hand side without cramping my palm muscle! Remebmer i am holding on to this phone with my right hand, driving, and trying to type at the same time, all with my right hand. The numbers need to go back to the right. I'm sorry.

I'd say the numbers belong to the left, actually. If you hold a treo, you'd find that your thumb naturally rests on the left side of the keyboard, not the right side. Your thumb must be pretty short if it can only reach less than 1 inch.

About how to decrease the fatness, Mr Hawkins. Well, if you were able to make the keys bigger, fatter, more surface area, etc, well then you're able to make them narrower, kinda like vertical rectangles, which will allow you to make the phone 2.1 possibley 2.0 inches wide, and then this phone will be much more liek a regular cell phone, and not a brick.

Yes, you can make very little keypads. I remember that I used to love those calculator watches cuz they have so many buttons. But I also remember that I can't type 48wpm on those things, which I just did on my treo.

And get rid of the square design for the 700!

True, they could have made the treo with a more interesting shape. A rectangular shape tends to be the best use of space though. And from the photos I've seen, I remember there is a stack of about 4-5 circuit boards in that thing, and so a rectangular shape would be the best use of space.

make some curves, like Nokia phones for God sake..that way i wont look like nerd when i use my phone in clubs, downtown Chicago, when I'm trying to pick up girls. (I'm 23..i gotta impress)
    Well, I hate to admit this myself, but if I'm getting a treo because it has camera/palmOS/SDIO etc. instead of one of those small cool looking samsungs/nokias, then I'm pretty nerdy.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I think the older Nokia 5100 and 6100 series phones are now bricks, and they aren't even that old!

Joe
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Yes, my Treo 300 is one fat phone. It just doesnt look like a phone..it looks like a brick.

I just have to ask, if you hate the Treo so much, then why on earth do you even own one to begin with?
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12