Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    In my opinion, the main benefit of having a server-based Exchange mail solution (like RIM, etc) is that the user's PC doesn't have to be on and connected to the Internet, for mail to be sent to the user's device.
    I know that I struggle with that on a daily basis - my peers in my company with Blackberries get their mail sent to their devices when they travel with their laptops - I tend to leave the laptop behind so that I can have my mail always - kind of counter-productive, to a certain extent.
    I guess I can try to get my IT folks to run GoodLink on our Exchange server (they said No to Visto's app, so I'll probably be out of luck with the new stuff as well).
    Oh well - on and on we go...
    Originally posted by nrosser
    You can get TreoMail now - it's out and working, and has been for some time. The under the covers mode was released in their 1.5 version, like late last year. I had been using BizConn personal edition, and in my opinion, TreoMail blows it away, in all aspects.

Interestingly, I also tried Visto's 'personal edition' client, upon which TreoMail is based, and it wasn't nearly as polished as TreoMail. Conclusion? Handspring made a number of usability enhancements to Visto's product, in creating TreoMail. I hope that Handspring, and not the carrier (i.e., Sprint, in whom I have little faith in UI-related items) will make the same modifications to the future wireless mail products that are looming in the distance.
    Thanks nrosser.

Yes, I'm aware of TreoMail 1.5 and was talking about it in the past tense in my old post. I tried the first version of TreoMail and I liked it. It just doesn't fit my needs exactly. I'm more excited about the possibility of the doing stuff in the background which means that different types of email clients could do that as well. Many have debated whether background downloading of email is possible in palm devices on this board and it's funny that no one has participated who has used it.

My preference is for a non-subscription email client that handles attachments very well and works with POP or IMAP. Would be great if SnapperMail would start to do background downloading too

The future looks good!
    I asked this in another thread but... Didn't Palm who just purchased Handspring, already sign a deal with Blackberry to have the RIM technology on thier Tungsten line? Wouldn't this be at least probable since the Palm Tungsten line more than likely won't be around as compared to the T600?
    cque

I was thinking the same thing. It definately makes sense.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Ahem...
    Whenever I see your name, I picture a stick shoved far up a person's ****.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
    I've asked that same question...in a different forum still unadressed
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Has anyone seen the phonescoop listing of the new BB 7230?

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=331

Look pretty familiar huh?! In fact check out a comparison of the dimensions:

Treo 600: 4.41" x 2.26" x 0.87"
    BB 7230: 4.40" x 2.90" x 0.94"

The 7320 doesn't look quite as striking, but there also is no massive antenna protuding out of it either!

Any thoughts?
    It think it looks like a clone of the BlackBerry 6210 which itself lookes like a slightly smaller version of the BlackBerry 6510 (only without the latter's protruding antenna) which is a significantly smaller version of the BlackBerry 6710/6750. Nothing to see here, move along, this dog won't hunt monsignor.
    The problem with RIM is that your messages are coming at you constantly, nonstop. I find this to be incredibly annoying and distracting during meetings. I realize that immediate delivery is what most people are touting as a benefit of RIM. However, unless you are in an emergency response role, do most people really need to be in touch this much?

I have my Treo set up to poll e-mail every 1/2 hour during the day. This works fine for me. I am sure the poeple I meet with all day every day appreciate it too, as they have my undivided attention during meetings. I'm not peering at my BB every 3 minutes to view the latest e-mail.

HRB
    Originally posted by rbrar
    However, unless you are in an emergency response role, do most people really need to be in touch this much?
    Yes. Just because it isn't an emergency doesn't mean the person on the other side of the email wouldn't like a response immediately. Just this morning as I was coming into work I had someone email me regarding a particular dataset. I was able to fire back a response and he was able to keep on working. That never would have happened with standard email. And before you say "but he could have called you" remember that as you just said, people are often in meetings and it is much easier to look down at a Blackberry than it is to get up and walk out to field a call. And if you don't want to send the email in the meeting, it certainly is easier to look over the subject lines of a dozen emails than it is to listen to a dozen voice mails. I stand by my Blackberry.
    I can't believe that people are even trying to compare push technology vs. pull.

First off how many corporate companies actually enable POP on their network? I do not know of many. Setting a device to go and check every half hour, mmm I guess if email is not a important part of your business then I guess this can work. Lets take some real life examples. On my domain every time a server goes down or hiccups a email is generated to me, this is something that I would need to know right away, not in 15 or 30 min. For my sales staff who swear by blackberry and not to mention that we tested the Treo, their emails are instant their is no need to for them to have to go and click on send and receive and wait for 30 messages to be delivered and hope the connection does not get dropped so they have to repeat it again. Also a huge benefit is on a Blackberry you can lookup you GAL from within your organization as well as all address types are supported on a blackberry because you are using the exchange MAPI, for example if I want to send a fax from my blackberry I can use the same syntax that I would use on my outlook client back at my office [FAX:] you can not do this using POP.

In one of the threads "I have my Treo set up to poll e-mail every 1/2 hour during the day. This works fine for me. I am sure the people I meet with all day every day appreciate it too, as they have my undivided attention during meetings. I'm not peering at my BB every 3 minutes to view the latest e-mail."
    Guess what just because it goes off you don't have to look at it every time do you?.

Push technology is by far the way to go. Ask anyone who had used a Palm device vs. a Blackberry. This is why GPRS is so huge these days, always on always connected; another great feature with the Blackberry is Administration for your IT department not to mention PIN to PIN messaging as well as SMS. Also I am not sure of the coverage of the Treo but our sales staff travel all around the world and being on a GSM network they always have a connection no matter where they are.

Ok so you can't edit your word doc on a blackberry but you can read it, not to mention would you really want to edit a word doc on a palm sized device?
    No one argues that push is generally faster and can be immediate. But the question is does everyone need that? The answer is no. There is room for both types of uses out there.

Your example of your server sending you email when it hiccups is great for push because it's a locally-generated email from your network and it will reach you immediately if BB's network is up. However, internet email from clients, etc. is not as guaranteed to reach you immediately because many factors out of your or BB's control can delay it.

Note that Blackberry's web site doesn't talk about immediate delivery of email, only that it removes the hassle of having to check for email every so often.
    I am not really arguing the speed of push technology but more or less the ease of use. If you are not a corporate email user then great pull is the way to go. Most companies will not enable POP protocol for such devices as well as setup a server for this.

You are correct the blackberry network does need to be up but so far the only problem I have had is with the Mobitext network not Blackberry itself, as far as the T-Mobile network (Knock on wood) I have not been down yet. Lets also not forget while I travel if the network is down I can still create offline messages and not have to worry about sending them later because once the connection is established they will send, With Pull I would have to constantly check my device to see when I am in a area to initiate the send regardless if I tell it to send every half hour.

There are several palm/handheld manufactures who are looking to use the technology the Blackberry has developed and these companies would not be looking for this if it were not in demand. Check out <Http://www.brighthand.com/article/Bl..._Or_Technology>

I think for the personal computing market pull would work fine for the corporate environment you need a push device.
    I'm sure there is a market for it.

Many companies allow secure pop3 access, which is a simple and cheap thing to do with most mail systems (e.g., MS Exchange).

Having been a user of internet email long before email was in such wide use as it is today, I can't stop wondering about the hype, manufactured needs, technologies and solutions. Don't get me wrong, Blackberry's are cool devices and services, but it simply provides a mail forwarding service. People can just as easily achieve the same effect if they are given a real email address by their mobile service providers and utilized a simple .forward file (or its equivalent in Micro$oft's re-invented, obfuscated solutions). This would be a free solution. No special servers or service signup needed.

BB provided this service when continuous wireless data connections weren't available, and that had real value. It just seems that now, with the availability of always-on connections, BB's service keeps looking more and more like a complicated solution to a simple problem.
    I just got the Blackberry 7230 and hooked it up to my Enterprise email. I saw from the first page that this post was just going to be a war between everyone. But I am required to carry a RIM for work, and I carry my treo on the other side of my belt. Now I don't use my treo much for email, I don't get that much personal email. I do however got tons of work messages. Well, now I have my corp email, sms, phone and wap browser all on one device. So, If this thing works out, i might just get a cool non-wireless clie or something instead of the treo altogether.

Anyway, I just wanted to say I had it, in case someone has a question as to it's functionality. And what sucks is since this is the first color device, there's like nothing supporting it yet. I wish I can get Avantgo... ok, later...
    Actually, the Treo 600 will be available with GoodLink 2.0 software on the SprintPCS network. At my company, we use Good's software on their proprietary device (the G100) and in my opinion it beats out RIM's software for wireless sync of Microsoft Exchange data. I think there is a world of difference between IMAP/POP3 checking of email and full wireless "push" access to Microsoft Exchange data such as emails, calendar, meeting requests, notes, todo lists, etc. GoodLink supports all these features and more with their 2.0 version. RIM is now just trying to catch up to Good in the market that RIM created.

GoodLink also supports XML based forms to perform things like access to your company GAL (global address list) or any other data you choose. GoodLink software can also run on RIM devices (it replaces the standard Blackberry software), and most pertinent to this thread, the Treo 600.

Check out the GoodLink / Treo 600 details at http://www.good.com.

Can't wait for the Treo 600!

Regards,

Jeremy
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I use the Blackberry personal edition. My emails are all forwarded to a Blackberry email address, and then sent immediately to my Blackberry. Why can't Handspring do this? It doesn't sound too difficult. My concern with all the existing apps for Treo is they only check email every 15 minutes. That is too slow for me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12