View Poll Results: How much would you pay to ugrade your Treo?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better be Free or else I walk

4 4.40%
  • $50

4 4.40%
  • $150

46 50.55%
  • $300

37 40.66%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone heard any details on when and what this is about?

I'd like to upgrade my Treo 300 for a Treo 600. Wouldn't you?

Greg
    The 600 is going to be at least another $300 on top of the 300s trade in value. My guess is that HS will grant a credit less than what the going rate is on ebay, i.e $150.

-rob
    I would hand over my 300 and $300 in a heartbeat for a device with double the memory and features plus SD. What worries me is what Sprint will do with my existing plan. What will they make us pay for unlimited Vision? The cost of the hardware is less of an issue to me than the ongoing cost of Sprint service . . .
    My guess is there won't be even a mention of a trade-in. When has there been one in the past?
    Let's all remember that Palm also bought HS...and I'm sure the last thing they want to start doing is taking back a bunch of old phones they didn't make or sell.

So, figure on the same trade-in value that Dell gives you for one of their computers, Sony gives you for one of their TVs and McDonalds gives you on an eaten Egg McMuffin.

...ken
    Actually, Handspring mentioned a trade-in plan during their press conference.

Geoffrey

Originally posted by kschoenberg
    My guess is there won't be even a mention of a trade-in. When has there been one in the past?
    == "...expected to begin shipping late this fall. At that time, we
    == plan to offer a special upgrade program for existing Treo
    == owners..."

-- http://www.handspring.com/treo600/index.jhtml
    SV,

I'll bet you a $1 it's something really great like a free leatherette case or $25 off the purchase of accessories if you send in your old phone.

But, perhaps I'm being too cynical.

Nah...betcha a $1 the trade-in deal is under 10% of the selling price of the new phone...or just a credit for purchasing accessories.

...ken
    But, perhaps I'm being too cynical.
    I think that you are.

-rob
    Robber,

Can you recall any other real trade-in programs in the industry? Years ago Commodore did one for the Commodore 65 (send in a Timex Sinclair) and get $100 off.

Some software companies did competitive upgrades that made sense (we called them buy 2 toss 1), but lately ...they are very rare.

...ken
    Over the years a number of wireless providers offered discounts on new phones with the trade-in of an old phone. Sometimes they required the phone be digital, sometimes not. I don't see why we couldn't get a similar trade-in.

Geoffrey
    Let's all remember that Palm also bought HS...and I'm sure the last thing they want to start doing is taking back a bunch of old phones they didn't make or sell.

So, figure on the same trade-in value that Dell gives you for one of their computers, Sony gives you for one of their TVs and McDonalds gives you on an eaten Egg McMuffin.

...ken
    Handspring traditionally offered discounts for previous device owners. For example, a discount was given to previous VisorPhone owners to buy a Treo. I think it lasted a month or so after the release of the 180 and then again the 270. I think it was something like $100 or $150 off. You didn't have to send anything in--just type in your serial number into their website and you got the discount.

I fully trust that something similar will happen.
    It's not quite the same thing, but I've been a Handspring owner since the Handspring Visor Deluxe (just a pda). When they came out with the Handspring Visor Edge, they offered a trade-in deal where you got $100 off the purchase of an Edge but you got to KEEP your Deluxe. It was a very cool deal, because I was able to get the newer model & give the older one to my husband.

I haven't seen anything quite like that since, but I would expect that since they're publicly stating they'll be offering a "special upgrade program for existing Treo owners" - I can't imagine it would be anything as cheesy as just a case.
    Honestly I'm thrilled with my 300. I can wait until the hype has passed and the price comes down. That is as long as my saliva doesn't make my 300 stop working.

The 600 may be thinner, look prettier, have a camera which might make me a peeping tom. The 300 is a great package. At leat from where I stand.
    I am upgrading to the Treo 600 when it comes out, tradeup program or not. If I get a trade in for it, all the better.

I have owned seven different cell phones in my life, and have never been offered a trade in before. Normally, the old phone goes in the waste basket, one I gave to a friend, and I actually was able to sell my old Samsung I300 to some poor sap. I am not sure why anybody would feel any source of entitlement to an upgrade when the 600 comes out.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for an upgrade, and I think that offering an upgrade is a great way of preventing users from waiting for four months to buy the 600, and canibalizing existing sales in the mean time (I guess slow sales are Palm's problem now, not Handspring's). It is a bonus, though, not an obligation.
    Rather than trash old cell phones you can actually donate them to charity, e.g.:

-- http://www.attws.com/our_company/car..._program.jhtml

There are others.
    In the perspective of Handspring, what's the point of a trade-in program anywayz?

The parts in the old treos are so out-of-date that they can't be reused... Are they going to sell refurbished old models or somethin'?

A trade in with a treo 180 for a treo 300 would make sense, cuz all they have to do is take it back to the factory and upgrade the screen, and maybe give it a new case. They could actually give you a good deal, in such a trade.

But an old treo for a Treo 600? What the heck are they gonna do with a bunch of old treos?
    Originally posted by conflagrare
    In the perspective of Handspring, what's the point of a trade-in program anywayz?

The parts in the old treos are so out-of-date that they can't be reused... Are they going to sell refurbished old models or somethin'?

A trade in with a treo 180 for a treo 300 would make sense, cuz all they have to do is take it back to the factory and upgrade the screen, and maybe give it a new case. They could actually give you a good deal, in such a trade.

But an old treo for a Treo 600? What the heck are they gonna do with a bunch of old treos?
    As has been said here many times before, it will most likely be a price incentive WITHOUT sending in your old device. You prove you purchasd a Treo before, you get a discount. Handspring has done this many times in the past.
    Originally posted by silverado

Handspring traditionally offered discounts for previous device owners. For example, a discount was given to previous VisorPhone owners to buy a Treo. I think it lasted a month or so after the release of the 180 and then again the 270. I think it was something like $100 or $150 off. You didn't have to send anything in--just type in your serial number into their website and you got the discount.

I fully trust that something similar will happen.
    That's my bet, but you're leaving something out.

When the VisorPhone deal was done, it was to allow VisorPhone owners to "upgrade" to the Treo without having to shell out the price for a non-subsidized Treo. In other words, you got to pay the $499 (or whatever it was) and keep your existing service versus paying $599 (or $699) to buy the phone without a contract.

My guess is that the same thing will happen with the Treo 600. You'll be able to buy it as if you were getting it with a service contract, without having to actually get the new contract. (Thus a "savings" of $100 to 200.) How much you actually "save" will depend on how much the carrier subsidizes the price.

(When you order it, you put in your serial number from your existing Treo so the web site offers you the right price.)
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Folks,

Last time I looked Handspring was no more. It is now part of Palm. I'm sure it's not going to be long before the consolidation starts.

...ken
    Folks,

Last time I looked Handspring was no more. It is now part of Palm. I'm sure it's not going to be long before the consolidation starts.

...ken
    What are you saying re the upgrade program?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast