View Poll Results: How much would you pay to ugrade your Treo?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Better be Free or else I walk

4 4.40%
  • $50

4 4.40%
  • $150

46 50.55%
  • $300

37 40.66%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by kschoenberg
    Folks,

Last time I looked Handspring was no more. It is now part of Palm. I'm sure it's not going to be long before the consolidation starts.

...ken
    Actually, unless you're living in teh future. Handspring is still Handspring the last time you looked. The corporation will exist as an independent entity for a few months. Indeed the launch of the Treo will no doubt be a Handspring affair (as the gears have already been set in motion)
    I'm saying I wouldn't use past HANDSPRING policies as a basis for guessing about a future upgrade program from Palm.

While Palm may keep the brand name and logo my guess is they will be making all the decisions on pricing and marketing. If you look at the management team, where the combined company will be located and who controls the board...it's pretty clear that Palm is in control.

To boil it down.. my prediction is
    No trade-in program whatsoever
    Maybe a slight discount ($50 or under) for owners of some Treo models...or more likely a credit towards purchase of accessories or something similar

Actually, even a credit towards accessories is more than most companies offer.

They may do something for people that purchase a Treo shortly before the launch of the new model to move some of the old inventory. Although my guess is that Palm may just want to write all of that older inventory off

Anyway...just my guesses....and you can take them for what they're worth... (which may be worth more than a Treo 300 Trade-In)
    Originally posted by kschoenberg
    I'm saying I wouldn't use past HANDSPRING policies as a basis for guessing about a future upgrade program from Palm.

While Palm may keep the brand name and logo my guess is they will be making all the decisions on pricing and marketing. If you look at the management team, where the combined company will be located and who controls the board...it's pretty clear that Palm is in control.

To boil it down.. my prediction is
    No trade-in program whatsoever
    Maybe a slight discount ($50 or under) for owners of some Treo models...or more likely a credit towards purchase of accessories or something similar

Actually, even a credit towards accessories is more than most companies offer.

They may do something for people that purchase a Treo shortly before the launch of the new model to move some of the old inventory. Although my guess is that Palm may just want to write all of that older inventory off

Anyway...just my guesses....and you can take them for what they're worth... (which may be worth more than a Treo 300 Trade-In)
    The new Treo is supposed to come out before the merger is complete. HS has already promised some kind of discount with the Treo 600 announcement. I think they'd be stupid to have promised it if they weren't going to do it because old customers are not usually entitled to anything.

So my guess is that HS will repeat what they did in the past, which, again, is NOT a trade-in but a discount.
    > ...The new Treo is supposed to come out before the merger is
    > complete...

Serious question due to my interest in the financial side of things in addition to the geek side:

== Why do you think this?
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    > ...The new Treo is supposed to come out before the merger is
    > complete...

Serious question due to my interest in the financial side of things in addition to the geek side:

== Why do you think this?
    Of course it's a guess on my part...

First, the release must be set in motion already with the many things that need to precede the release in order for it to succeed. I don't think either company would like to disrupt that process for a release of such a crucial product.

Also, in the CNet interview Greg Sharai(sp) said that the device will come out before the merger is complete.

But would I put money on this? Definitely not
    I just listened to the interview - about three quarters of the way in he says that the release timing w.r.t. to the merger is uncertain but the Handspring ==brand== will be used for at least a short while - then says the "Palm" brand will be used.

-----

BTW - since "Palm" as a corporate entity is going away (Palm said a new corporate name would be used post-merger), I personally think he was "winging" the latter part about a"Palm" brand being used.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    I had the Palm i705 and when Palm came out with the T/W they offered a huge discount on the phone for people who wanted to upgrade. So just becuase the company could change names really shouldn't matter.

They are going to want to get these in as many hands as possible for the coolness. You have to admit, the first time you saw someone using a Treo you were at least interested. With a new design of the Treo coming out, they want as many people showing them off as possible. This of course could backfire if the drain problem is still there.
    Palm Tradeup Deal

Okay a bunch of folks here believe the discount (trade-up, trade-in, etc) will be substantial...Does that mean over $!50?

I believe if there is anything at all it will be around $50 or maybe $75 if it includes the purchase of accessories.

I hope I'm wrong...

I guess we'll just have to wait an see.

...ken
    I'm betting there will be a good rebate for upgrading - reason - so few of the Treo 300's that were manufactured were actually sold - with the preemptive announcement of the Treo 600, those have become next to worthless unless they provide an upgrade path for the next few months.
    Originally posted by dstrauss
    I'm betting there will be a good rebate for upgrading - reason - so few of the Treo 300's that were manufactured were actually sold - with the preemptive announcement of the Treo 600, those have become next to worthless unless they provide an upgrade path for the next few months.
    I still think the upgrades will happen the way I described above.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12