1.    #1  
    am considering getting a Treo 270 (have a visor deluxe now). I want to stay on ATT, my current cell provider (I have a GSM phone- Siemens s46).

the $400 for existing ATT customers on the HS site is too much-- (why they make loyal customers pay MORE seems stupid to me).

So I'm looking at other sources-- ebay and others-- where I think I can get a treo 270 for $200 - $250.

But now I'm thinking that since the only sources for 270s are HS, T-Mobile, Cingular, or various dealers, that each phone out there must be specific to a particular carrier. Why would any phone be "unlocked"= available to use on any GSM network?

Is there any way to tell if a phone is unlocked? I'd hate to buy a phone and then find it doesn't work with my ATT SIM card.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by srwdc1; 07/14/2003 at 12:02 PM.
    I don't think I have ever heard such a thing. Must be an American thing. No offence intended.

Here in Aust you can use any mobile phone on any carrier as long as you port the number to the new carrier.

The phones don't have any locks on them.

Seems stupid to me.

We have clauses in our contracts which force us to pay out the whole of the contract if we change carriers before the end of the contract period. (lots of contract in that sentence, call it a penalty)

You own the phone no matter what happens once the contract period finishes.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

Originally posted by Ancient_One
    I don't think I have ever heard such a thing. Must be an American thing. No offence intended.

Here in Aust you can use any mobile phone on any carrier as long as you port the number to the new carrier.

The phones don't have any locks on them.

Seems stupid to me.

We have clauses in our contracts which force us to pay out the whole of the contract if we change carriers before the end of the contract period. (lots of contract in that sentence, call it a penalty)

You own the phone no matter what happens once the contract period finishes.
    It really isn't only a US thing. I have seen it in the UK as all at least in one case. When I asked Three (http://www.three.co.uk/) whether I could use their phones with other carriers when traveling abroad, they said that they are locked to only use their SIM cards. Keep in mind that the phones do work on non-3G networks. I don't know how prevalent this is on a large scale among other carriers.
    Originally posted by srwdc1
    So I'm looking at other sources-- ebay and others-- where I think I can get a treo 270 for $200 - $250.

Is there any way to tell if a phone is unlocked? I'd hate to buy a phone and then find it doesn't work with my ATT SIM card.
    You can buy unlocked phones on eBay. They are usually advertised as such. If you have any doubts, send the person selling the phone an email. BTW, the ones I've seen usually go for around $300.