1.    #1  
    Just went to compusa, got the g1k and made the switch. starting with a few things
    1)it is not that big
    2)sound clarity is far better then the treo 300
    3) I can listen / watch STREAMING VIDEO at 56K. havent tried any higher but at 56k its good quality audio and a few fps
    4) I got 256meg expansion which is mounted as a folder for the "mobile device"
    5)speaker for speaker phone is used for playing media, I played a WMV file in full screen mode, really looks amazing on the huge screen.

I exported my addresses and everything else from palm desktop and imported into outlook (contact list).
    everything worked perfectly

Vision on the phone is ridiculous. unbelieveby fast. Such a shame for a year I had a 300 and missed out on all this bandwidth... The phone was 549 $100 instant rebate. the only concern is the screen is big and exposes a lot of area, I need to find where to get screen covers.

for $99 I got the 2years replacement plan. the guy says if anything happens they just give you the latest model, so that wont hurt in 2 years

anyway, The phone seems fast, really easy to use, a lot more cool stuff then the treo, AIM acually runs and doesnt crash the OS....

No locksups so far,

does anyone where how I can SEND SMS from the PPC 2002?? It has built in account for vision email, I setup my main email as IMAP (native support) and it has a SMS inbox, I need the hack to allow it to send sms..

The built in 32meg isnt enough to do much, one really cool thing is it comes with a hands free jack to mini-din converter. SO i hooked up my phone speaker output to my car using a tape converter. its cool hearing someone talk and it come out the car speakers...

400mhz really is sweet, emulating games with mame was a breeze.

I will post back later after the flamers get their posts in, but Even with all these cool features, the camera tops it off, it sends picstures perfectly using my picutres.sprintpcs.com and once you set it up to use the expansion memory the possibilities are endless..

it came with a leather case, sync cradle, regular charger and the sylus,

Now if anyone wants my old '300 let me know
    > ...I will post back later after the flamers get their posts in...

Lol!

That's what I was waiting for, too!

Ha ha ha!
    Originally posted by quake8
    Just went to compusa, got the g1k and made the switch. starting with a few things
    1)it is not that big
    2)sound clarity is far better then the treo 300
    3) I can listen / watch STREAMING VIDEO at 56K. havent tried any higher but at 56k its good quality audio and a few fps
    4) I got 256meg expansion which is mounted as a folder for the "mobile device"
    5)speaker for speaker phone is used for playing media, I played a WMV file in full screen mode, really looks amazing on the huge screen.

I

How is the battery life?

/v
  4.    #4  
    took little less then an hour for first charge, after the main battery was full the emergency battery charged (incase i lose main power)

Ive talked using the speaker phone for a couple hours now, and I have 1 bar left. I also have been using vision quite a bit.

One thing that is kinda good/bad is every time vision is idle for more then a minute it disconnects.... Im thinking this prevents phone calls from being missed while on vision, and it connects back up very quickly
    It's not "that big," but for me phones come in two flavors: those that easily fit in your pocket and those that don't. Where does this sit? If you wouldn't mind, could you snap a picture of it next to a Treo?

What is your first impression of the keyboard?
    I will post back later after the flamers get their posts in
    I don't think you're going to be flamed. You have established a presence here as something other than a Troll, you actually have the device you are talking about and only on direct points (not generally) do you say one is better than the other (you aren't saying "Treos suck. PPC rules.")
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 07/14/2003 at 09:48 AM.
  7.    #7  
    the keyboard keys are a lot easier to press then the treo, they are hard plastic buttons but softer and press in a lot easier, (easy to type fast)

The size isnt an issue, what it comes down to is this, if it has an exposed screen (treo 600/ any ppc device) it shouldnt be in a pocket, it will mess up the screen. This comes with a leather case, Ill just have to hang it off my belt

Ill take a pic of it later on and post it,
  8. purpleX
    In PPC scene it's a pretty much a doom machine.

-Hitachi does not indicate that it will upgrade to the impending release of PPC PE 2k3, unlike i700.

-The size is just incredible, not to mention ugly. No PPC user understands why Hitachi is including that qwerty stuff.

-no BT, no SDIO. (impending release of Socket WiFi BT)

-XDAII is about to show up. XDA was the front runner of PPC PE before i700.

-------
    on the other hand:
    -it seems to have different screen than all the rest, very nice.
    -new voice recognition.
    -the only beast with qwerty.
    You know, I was glad to here you liked it. I had a cust. come in with one the other day. I am sure that the features make it nice, but the one thing that scares me is when you say the size isn't bad. Man, that thing was huge! I just couldn't carry it around, even if it printed money. OK, well ONLY if it printed money. Seriously though, I held it up next to a Toshiba 2032 and it's slightly bigger. That's the wrong direction!
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    I was also able to pick up a G1000 as I have always been more of a PDA centric than Phone centric. I really like the large screen of the device and I concurr with the previous post it is not that large taken into account what it offers. I am a proponent of the keyboards and this one even tough different from the TREO , works really well. I tried out responding to e-mails and also modifying some Word docs on the Fly and it was impressive. The only thing is the lack of backlight ( I hardly ever type in a dark case, but I wanted to point this out). The handling of streaming audio and video is great.

Hopefully other have the guts to come out with products like this. Remember this is the first PPC with a Keyboard.
  11.    #11  
    I bought this over other devices JUST because it DID have a keyboard. It may be big but isnt it just as bad carrying an Ipod, palm pilot and cell phone?

sdio isnt that big of a deal, its already using vision high speed internet , wifi would be cool but not that big of a disappointment

to the guy with the g1k
    What are you using to send SMS, i had treo300 sms but cant find anything for the g1k that does the job
    I would hardly compare it to an iPod. The correct comparison would be a solid state MP3 player, and those indeed can be quite small (so much so that many would probably opt for it and a Treo as a roughly equivalent combination).
  13.    #13  
    what device would you use for streaming video/audio

what about browsing websites with IE??

what about taking pix and emailing/sms sending them with voice attachments??

you could possibly just bring a backpack around with all the devices. that sounds easier doesnt it????

these 8oz are killing me
  14. purpleX
    G1000 is a full featured PDA, not just phone with organizer. Browsing, SMS, wordprocessing or streaming multimedia are simple bubble gum tricks to it. But it is a half baked device. It could have been much more had it not crimped on feature. It could have been a very usefull device that a lot of field people need to carry despite the the brick size.

ie. PPC can RUN a web server like ZOPE or FTP, instead of just viewing it. Don't try that with Palm device.

with BT/WiFi slot, One could transfrom the device into a simple streaming server to other devices. (image, music, or powerpoint presentation)

The lack of cabling and BT also prevent the handheld to achieve it's full potential such navigational device with BT GPS, or interacting with some car computer. i700 has no problem doing this. G100 could have been a perfect surveying keyboard device combined with GPS capability.

Lack of SDIO is definitely crippling the full PDA functionality once WiFi SD is out. Voip, file transfer, streaming, will be everywhere by christmas, and this model won't be able to do it.

Basically it could have been the first generation of uber communicator before XDAII and iPAQ h4000 come out this christmas. It could have paved the way to a lot of interesting apps six months in advance, but it doesn't. It's just an idiotic phone with qwerty.
    what device would you use for streaming video/audio
    My only comment related to the ipod. The G1000 is not an ipod and will never be (without adding some kind of hard disk). The other two devices you mentioned (cell phone and PDA) probably add up to the volume of the G1000.
    Here are photos of the G1000. Its considerably larger than an i330. And, the i330 is taller than the Treo 600.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/c.../index.php?p=5

There's no free lunch. The G1000 clearly has certain capability advantages over the 600...bigger screen and keyboard, faster processor, PPC OS (though some prefer Palm OS).

But, for me, its just too damn big, and I prefer the smaller form factor with reduced capabilities that the 600 offers.

As I've said, I've been fortunate enough to hold a 600 and the size is just right.
  17. purpleX
    but iPOD has no thumboard. *groan*