Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I am getting my Treo 300 direct from Handspring on Tuesday.
    I have one question, that may have been answered before, on this battery drain thing. Does that only happen with Vision? I'm not taking vision, just keeping my old plan. I've been okay on my Kyo 6035 with the Blazer browser and the ability to get my AOL mail, so I figure I don't need to spend the extra 15 per month for Vision (unless someone can tell me why I would really want it!)
    Since Vision is always connected (from what I've read) is that the reason for the drain? If the phone doesn't use vision and I turn it off, would that save the battery?
    Or does this battery drain happen even when the phone is off?
    Thanks for any help,
    Steve M
    Steve M
    Catman51
    Happy with my T300
    Waiting for my T600
    Originally posted by Catman51
    I am getting my Treo 300 direct from Handspring on Tuesday.
    I have one question, that may have been answered before, on this battery drain thing. Does that only happen with Vision? I'm not taking vision, just keeping my old plan. I've been okay on my Kyo 6035 with the Blazer browser and the ability to get my AOL mail, so I figure I don't need to spend the extra 15 per month for Vision (unless someone can tell me why I would really want it!)
    Since Vision is always connected (from what I've read) is that the reason for the drain? If the phone doesn't use vision and I turn it off, would that save the battery?
    Or does this battery drain happen even when the phone is off?
    Thanks for any help,
    Steve M
    If you plan to use data on your Treo 300, get vision. Otherwise it's $0.35 a minute to dial into an ISP. There shouldn't be any additional drain on the battery if Vision is connected as it is supposed to "sleep." If you turn the phone off (the radio) battery life increases dramatically because it doesn't have to use any power to communicate with the cell network (voice or data). Again, get Vision. You will go broke quickly if you don't.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I am now paying $5 extra per month for the Sprint Wireless Web, and even though it counts against my minutes, I've never gone over on minutes. So it seems to be no problem for me.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Steve M
    Steve M
    Catman51
    Happy with my T300
    Waiting for my T600
    Cat,

If you're happy with the Wireless Web...stay with it. Vision isn't that much better unless you're going to use the phone as a modem. You'll notice little difference in the speed of email and/or PQAs.

What you will notice is a significant difference in battery life. I too was a 6035 owner. If not for the screen just being too hard to read...I would probably still own one. The battery life on the Treo is less than 1/2 that of the Kyo in reality. With the Kyo...I didn't have to think about battery life over a weekend...with the Treo you better watch it...one long phone call (60 minutes) and you're going to find at least 1/2 the battery gone.

Don't get me wrong. The Treo is a very nice phone. Great functionality, nice size (easier to carry for me than the Kyo). Very good display (except in direct sunlight) and even for a confirmed Graffiti user...the keyboard is nice. I use Jot with the Treo so I have the Graffiti option as well.

So...other than the really poor battery life...it's a nice package.

...ken
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Thanks K,
    It's nice to read positive things, since there seems to be so many problems.
    The Kyo is great on battery power, but I figure color eats more, and I've been dying for color after 2 years of black and white.

Can't wait to get the 300 and see how it really is!
    Steve M
    Steve M
    Catman51
    Happy with my T300
    Waiting for my T600
    I had a Treo 180 and then a Treo 300. Holding everything else constant (well, most things) color is sooooooooooooo nice. In fact, I've noticed no worse battery life on my 300 than I did on my 180. The only bad thing about color is outside readability, but I can deal with that.