1.    #1  
    Personally, I don't mind that the Treo 600 won't be OS 6. What concerns me is if new programs that are created when OS 6 is released will work with OS 5. I already see how some programs are designed specifically for OS 5, will the same happen for OS 6 thereby leaving Treo 600 users behind?

On another note, does anyone know why OS 6 is even being created? The modified OS 3.5 on the Treo 300 gets everything I want done and runs all my programs. I'd be content with the Treo 600 also having 3.5, so why is Palm running out to go all the way to 6, wasn't 4 and 5 enough?

~CmdrGuard
    OS six is a stab at the enterprise market. It has better security and other things that will help it survive in mass-distributed, centrally supported environments.
  3. purpleX
    OS6.0 rumored to be released October
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10088

Treo is expected to be available September.
    Originally posted by purpleX
    OS6.0 rumored to be released October
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10088

Treo is expected to be available September.
    It may be released to lisencees in october, but we probably won't see actual devices until perhaps late december/early january. Of course there may be exceptions...
  5. purpleX
    I am just pointing out how treo600 timeline is completely out of sync.

treo600 won't get OS6.0 until well into the late 2004 if Palm inc get their house in order.
    Originally posted by CmdrGuard
    ...On another note, does anyone know why OS 6 is even being created? The modified OS 3.5 on the Treo 300 gets everything I want done and runs all my programs. I'd be content with the Treo 600 also having 3.5, so why is Palm running out to go all the way to 6, wasn't 4 and 5 enough?

~CmdrGuard
    OS 6 is supposed to lift most of the limitations that the current Palm OS has with regard to security, multitasking, etc. It's a complete re-write of the OS from the ground up.

Also, the limits in the Palm databases will be lifted, supposedly (no 4K limit on memos, more categories, more fields in the Address Book, etc.)

These changes will be quite welcome by me.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  7.    #7  
    Also, the limits in the Palm databases will be lifted, supposedly (no 4K limit on memos, more categories, more fields in the Address Book, etc.)
    Can't these limits just be agumented with updated to the address book and memo pad programs? Why go through a whole new system?

Can't these limits just be agumented with updated to the address book and memo pad programs? Why go through a whole new system?
    That's what I've wondered since OS 3.5, but they haven't done it. All the "solutions" have been third-party software replacements. Nothing native.

I would have thought that they could have updated these programs long ago, but I guess they've been concerned about compatibility? Maybe. Maybe the databases are closer in function to the OS than one might think. I don't know.

In any case, the native inclusion of more advanced PIM apps is very welcome.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
  9. purpleX
    If OS 6.0 aim is just be a better 4.2 than 4.2, Palm is really toast. What OS 6.0 offers is merely more colorful datbk5.0 or fancier bejeweled. It just does more of the same thing, and gives same answer for old question albeit slightly faster and more expensive. ie. It's fancier version of IIIxe.

It really doesn't answer:
    can we do this or that now? can we have super sleeve that will interact with car or whole range of wireless network. Can we do full speed video conferencing or TV streaming on the cheap. Can I have AI controlling my organizer aspect so it can intelligently update everything without me getting involved every time. How about playing near picture realistic game on my handheld. etc etc...

two front:
    -Linux now have CE consortium. which mean somebody else wil start pushing it beside Sharp. Linux is already a better platform than POS when it come to things like drivers, networking, old skool server interaction.

-Microsoft will start combining the smartphone and PPC platfrom in earnest after CE.net Essentially making handheld a portal to electronic data.

...does anybody really think raising 4KB limit in OS 6.0 is going to sell gadget next christmas?
    Personally, I don't mind that the Treo 600 won't be OS 6. What concerns me is if new programs that are created when OS 6 is released will work with OS 5. I already see how some programs are designed specifically for OS 5, will the same happen for OS 6 thereby leaving Treo 600 users behind?...snip...
    ~CmdrGuard
    I seriously doubt that PalmSource would make it so that applications couldn't be backward compatible with OS 5. As with most software development, rules for "well-behaved" applications, when followed, usually result in backward compatibility.

OS 6 is being touted for its security enhancements more than anything else, so we'll see if it makes THAT much difference in the compatibility arena.

Let's hope for the best.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint