1.    #1  
    Can we extrapolate from some of the photos that the Sprint Treo 600 has poor battery life? I don't mean this as a slam, but I'm trying to determine if the turbo drain still exists on the Treo 600 prototypes.

Check it out, from this gallery: http://www.mixstar.com/treo600/index.htm

Image #11, wireless is on (full signal strength), time 9:51am according to screen, battery at full level:
    http://www.mixstar.com/treo600/imagepages/image11.htm

Image #6, wireless is on (full signal strength), time 2:43pm, battery at 3/4 level:
    http://www.mixstar.com/treo600/imagepages/image6.htm

3:44pm, battery 5/8 level:
    http://www.mixstar.com/treo600/imagepages/image18.htm

Image #7, wireless is off, time 5:22pm, battery at 1/2 level:
    http://www.mixstar.com/treo600/imagepages/image7.htm

So, can we infer that the battery drained 50% roughly between 10:00am and 5:00pm while at a show? Apparently it was so high that at 50% they decided to turn off the phone!

Obviously we don't know the usage pattern of the phone during the day, nor do we know if it was recharged intermittently. But we can most certainly infer that something doesn't jive here. Keep in mind that the battery capacity is twice that of the Treo 300.

Edited: I just noticed that some of the photos were on 6/17 and some on 6/18. Not sure how much of a diff it makes though. Still shows significant battery loss by 4pm.
    Last edited by potatoho; 07/12/2003 at 12:58 AM.
    Everything I've read says that the battery is huge and very powerful.

They've done a very good job vetting and fixing on the 600 the other problems of the 300.

They didn't do a 320X320 screen because it would have used too much battery power.

Palm will be buying Handspring largely on the strength of the 600 as a home run consumer product.

Maybe I'm a naive sucker, but I just don't believe they'd let such an important factor as battery life be problematic. These are very smart folks at Handspring and they knew the future of the company was on the line as they were developing the 600.

I've held one outside and the screen is great, the keyboard is great and I want one.
    I think we should separate the issues of battery life and turbo drain. The Treo600 could have excellent battery life and no turbo drain for a nice package. Conversly it could have excellent battery life but suffer from turbo drain negating the huge battery. It could also have poor battery life and no turbo drain. Furthermore, the turbo drain issue is only relavant to the cdma version AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK...
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by Stickman
    They've done a very good job vetting and fixing on the 600 the other problems of the 300.
    My concern is that perhaps it's not possible for the Sprint network to have the same longevity as GSM networks. Judging by the battery life difference between the 300 and 270 in the real world, I'd say either the 300 is seriously buggy or Sprint's network is somewhat incompatible with always-on PDAs.

The numbers they give out in the specs are for continuous usage. The real world uses little bits of network throughout the day. If I take a Treo 270 and a 300 and call each other, they'd probably come out pretty close. But if I take a 270 and connect to an Internet server with small amounts of chat traffic, it'll run all day, whereas a 300 will last maybe 2 hours.

Since I want to use mostly data, I'm interested in some evidence that the CDMA Treo 600 can last a long time with an always-on connection. From the photos, it looks like it's a battery hog just like the 300.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I think we should separate the issues of battery life and turbo drain. The Treo600 could have excellent battery life and no turbo drain for a nice package. Conversly it could have excellent battery life but suffer from turbo drain negating the huge battery. It could also have poor battery life and no turbo drain. Furthermore, the turbo drain issue is only relavant to the cdma version AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK...
    Yes, we need something more relevant than the typical "talk time" wireless benchmark. We need to get a reviewer to do something like 100 page refreshes within a certain amount of time, or run a VeriChat session etc. Clearly, at least on CDMA, there is a huge difference in battery life between a single long wireless session and a bunch of short wireless sessions throughout the day.

That picture of the Treo 600 half-empty in the middle of the day is very disturbing to me. Actually it's funny too, I just watched the CNET video again and the Treo 600 there "looks" like it only has 25% charge at 1:39pm - but it's too blurry to tell. It is dated 6/16/03, which the pictures above are dated 6/17 and 6/18.
    Last edited by potatoho; 07/12/2003 at 02:43 AM.
    Stickman

I am in complete agreement with you and appreciate what you said very much.

The one thing everybody seems to be confused about is the 160x160 screen issue.

I can only say that in my personal opinion I believe it is inevitable that we will see higher res screens on future Treos. The Treo 600 will be a superb phone with a superb PDA. Once they get past 6.0 and increase resolution it will be close to perfection. All gains beyond that point will be icing on the cake.

I think many people are overlooking the significance of the Palm acquisition of Handspring. This merger and its resulting synergy will change everything, particularly innovation and scale.

As a result of the merger the rules and the dynamic of the game will completely change. It may take a little while, and you can mark my words; we will be seeing truly amazing things.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but you can rest assured that the second the Treo 600 becomes available I will obtain one. If I had to pay double for it I would because it is that much better and stunning. Just completely stunning!!!

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  7. purpleX
    Originally posted by potatoho
    Can we extrapolate from some of the photos that the Sprint Treo 600 has poor battery life? I don't mean this as a slam, but I'm trying to determine if the turbo drain still exists on the Treo 600 prototypes.

Edited: I just noticed that some of the photos were on 6/17 and some on 6/18. Not sure how much of a diff it makes though. Still shows significant battery loss by 4pm.
    no, I think they are two different phones.
    if you look at the pictures titles, one is indexed 108, the other 109.

109 has no faceplate
    108 has silver faceplate
  8. PHO
    nice analysis, But, are we forgetting the obvious that if this is at a show then, this is not normal use and probably constant on, constant use for 8 hrs a day?

i mean, really, i'm sure people were lining up to see it

also, Sprint's always on technology isn't always on. And it likley won't be until the new IP address technology is up and going.
    Hmm, Possible Treo Convert?
    Originally posted by PHO

i mean, really, i'm sure people were lining up to see it
    I think that's the crux of the matter here. If this thing were at a show I was at I'm sure it would be on for 8 hours straight.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by purpleX
    no, I think they are two different phones.
    if you look at the pictures titles, one is indexed 108, the other 109.

109 has no faceplate
    108 has silver faceplate
    Quick post before the DB crashes

FWIW they look the same to me. One is in the phone application so the stuff is backlit, but they are both the same color schemes and both have the silver faceplate.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I think that's the crux of the matter here. If this thing were at a show I was at I'm sure it would be on for 8 hours straight.
    I agree to an extent. But really how much actual usage would it be getting at a show? I don't think the wireless was used much. Maybe if I saw 10 people making 6/17/03 posts on here from the Treo 600 browser I would change my mind -- isn't that what you would do if given the chance?

Oh well, I don't know what I'm going to do. I would love it if someone could just sit down with it and do 100 page refreshes on a simple site like google.com, just to see if intermittent data connections consume the juice like the Treo 300. Do it on the GSM version and then on the CDMA version and report on the remaining voltage.

If you look at the specs for the 270/300, it's like GSM 3 hours talk-time and CDMA 2.5 hours. Fine I say, the 300 gets 17% less talk-time. But it turned out to be a bunch of dooky because the CDMA performance is horrible when you use multiple connections throughout the day and have substandard coverage.