1.    #1  
    Downloaded the new better version and it is much faster than V2.X. With V2.X and earlier, or WirelessModem, I could only get 8KB/s max and mostly 6KB/s or so. With this new beta, I almost always get 14KB/s!!! As fast as the speed I got with A500 - the fastest I ever got.

The speed improvement is achieved on the desktop side, because I get the same higher speed with V2.X still in Treo. Actually the best combination is V2.X in the Treo and beta on the desktop side. The beta version of the Treo side is not so stable and it crashed my treo couple times.

The reason why A500 and other Samsung phones are faster is that they use a special modem driver that has no 115K limit of serial port. After selling out my A500 and got the Treo, the only thing I miss is the 14KB/s speed of A500. Now, the PDANet seems have passed the 115Kb (not B) limit and can reach the fastest speed SprinPCS network can offer.

The problem is, when speed reaches as high as 14KB, the connection becomes not so reliable. Not PDANet's fault, A500 has exactly the same problem. I.e., it is the network. If reliability is more important than speed, then stay with the V2.X.

I still wish PDANet change its design to be like WirelessModem: make the Treo a pure modem. That way, we can use just Windows dialup facilities and do not have to use the PDANet Desktop (problematic, the new virtual serial port driver is very good though). And we can also do fax not just data.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    I still wish PDANet change its design to be like WirelessModem: make the Treo a pure modem. That way, we can use just Windows dialup facilities and do not have to use the PDANet Desktop (problematic, the new virtual serial port driver is very good though). And we can also do fax not just data.
    They would have to maintain access the way they have it now for all the Treo 300 users that don't want to pay 35 cents a minute for "normal modem" access.
  3.    #3  
    As long as you dial #777, you don't pay anything. However, fax does cost 35 cents per minutes.
    Fixup,

Thanks for the info. I am happy to report that your findings are right on the money. Well not exactly twice as fast, but definitely an improvement. I definitely recommend, at least Win2000 users, to try the PDAnet(beta) desktop. I stuck with PDAnet 2.0 SP2 for the handheld. I'm now consistently getting ISDN speeds. Sometimes approaching slow DSL speeds (>200 kbps) measured by cnet bandwidth meter. I know it's not a scientific test but who cares. It's faster. It's comparable to when my DSL line gets bogged down. Surfing this fast while commuting (Caltrain) is a Godsend. Wish I had all this technology when I was younger.

Thanks for posting Fixup.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    As long as you dial #777, you don't pay anything. However, fax does cost 35 cents per minutes.
    Of course. What you are asking though is that they redesign the product to be a passive modem which will not be able to access the sprint network and therefore subject to "casual web" usage. I'm just saying it would be smart, if they are to pursue this path, to leave the other functionality in.
    hi,
    i went to pdanet websie and i did not see b version for
    windows 2000 or XP... Where i can get it ?
    I do have licensed version of 2.x
    mike.
    FYI I don't think the c/net bandwidth meter is a good test of the speed of PDAnet. It uses a downloadable graphic to test the speed, which is further compressed by the Sprint proxy service or something else.

Regards,
    Wayne C.
  8.    #8  
    KRamsauer, You did not get what I was saying.

mike2005, find it on www.palmgear.com

WCressman, I never use those c/net stuff to test speed. I use my own way that gives real speed. And, I test V2.02 and the beta version side by side, so the new beta is indeed much faster.
    KRamsauer, You did not get what I was saying.
    Yes I did, I'm just pointing out it would be a bone-headed move if they were to make their product like WirelessModem and make simply a dumb pass-through.
    I haven't used PdaNet since I installed a wifi at home. Well, a relative is going into surgery tuesday, and I'll be stuck in the waiting room, and thought I better upgrade to the latest PdaNet so if the situation arises I'll be able to connect. Am connected right now via PdaNet 2.51 and the enhancements are great. Installed with no hiccups, connected without all the annoying bubblets, speed is fast, and haven't been disconnected yet.

Hopefully, I will find a power outlet at the hospital as my laptop battery is weak. Will first test to see if they have a free wifi network before connecting via PdaNet. And I better bring a paper bag as last time I had a "panic attack" and almost passed out. (sux getting old)
    David
    David,
    Did you pay again? I use PDANet so rarely I would not want to pay a second time.

If not, did you just download the 2.51 trial, then enter your exsisting resigtration code?

Let us know.

Tom
    For fun & profit & Christ,
    TWF in Chicago
    Originally posted by tomfurie
    David,
    Did you pay again? I use PDANet so rarely I would not want to pay a second time.

If not, did you just download the 2.51 trial, then enter your exsisting resigtration code?

Let us know.

Tom
    I think upgrades for 270/300 product line are free. It's the 600 version that will cost since it cost them time and hassle to write it. I uninstalled whatever version I had, installed 2.51, and when the demo time limit runs out I'm assuming my registration code will work. I'm in no hurry to get a 600. These smartphones spoil faster than bananas. Let's see what 6-9 months does to the price of the 600.
    David
    Interesting thread. If I understand this product, theoretically you could install it on your home computer, and dump your landline and ISP, and have Internet access on your home computer at about double 56K. I have a treo 300 with a set number of monthly minutes, unlimited evening and weekend minutes, and free web surfing with blazer, and was thinking of dumping my landline and ISP anyway. My questions:

1. This works with a desktop; you don't need a laptop with some sort of special card?
    2. Do the minutes come off your calling plan, or does it work off the free blazer web surfing?
    3. Other than speed, any limitations on going this route vs. a normal DSL? Streaming content, etc. works?
    Originally posted by dunlop212
    theoretically you could install it on your home computer, and dump your landline and ISP My questions:

1. This works with a desktop; you don't need a laptop with some sort of special card?
    2. Do the minutes come off your calling plan, or does it work off the free blazer web surfing?
    3. Other than speed, any limitations on going this route vs. a normal DSL? Streaming content, etc. works?
    Some already took this to the point of starting a kazaa download before they went to bed. Sprint's response was to terminate their vision, permanently. Think of pdanet as a helper for checking email on the road, not as an isp replacement.

Perhaps one day (ev-do and beyond, or whatever you call post 1xrtt speeds) they might offer an unlimited access data product. I give sbc $71/month for dsl I'd rather let sprint have.
    David
    Originally posted by drw
    Hopefully, I will find a power outlet at the hospital as my laptop battery is weak. Will first test to see if they have a free wifi network before connecting via PdaNet. And I better bring a paper bag as last time I had a "panic attack" and almost passed out. (sux getting old)
    Power outlet in the waiting room was no problem. Checked for WIFI networks, but found none. Caught up on 2 hours of word processing I've been putting off for 6 months, played Beachead 2000, started to watch a dvd movie, even before thinking about using pdanet. Started to get RBOD inside day surgery room so next time will take treo charger cable as well as sync cable. All in all the 5.5 hours in the waiting room wasn't boring at all, thanks to technology.
    David