1.    #1  
    Hey everyone.

I need your help... I just off of the phone with Time Warner who has a very "technically deficient" support unit.

Anyway... does anyone one here use their Road Runner "smtp" server to send email from their Treo 300?

Help.
    Dave

P.S. I am using the "correct" smtp server address as directed by the Time Warner website.

POP3: pop-server.rochester.rr.com
    SMTP: smtp-server.rochester.rr.com
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    Dear Felipe,

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

Using your link I successfully setup my SprintPCS server and can send eMail again... yeah!

Thanks again.

A fellow Treo 300 User,
    Dave Lindberg
    The solution given will allow you to send from your SprintPCS account, but did not address the original problem of not being able to send from roadrunner (showing that email address as the from

I suffer the same issue - anyone have any ideas ? I can send fine from my Yahoo account, but not from roadrunner
    Originally posted by sanovak3681
    The solution given will allow you to send from your SprintPCS account, but did not address the original problem of not being able to send from roadrunner (showing that email address as the from

I suffer the same issue - anyone have any ideas ? I can send fine from my Yahoo account, but not from roadrunner
    That is generally not allowed because it's a form of relaying with is a big no no. Some ISP's allow it by requireing some form authentication before sending, e.g., doing a POP authentication just before sending. Most normal ISPs, however, do not bother to implement this since most of their users would never use the feature.

Yahoo Plus allows it because you pay them to do it and because they verify that you own that address (i.e., you can't just use any old FROM address--only the ones you register with them).
    Thanks for clearing that up
    Originally posted by sanovak3681

Well since SprintPCS has now gone back to the old behavior of allowing user-defined from addresses, I presume the original poster is all set.

From roadrunner you would have to be posting from one of their IPs. So you'd have to have a proxy of some sort on your PC which relays the smtp request coming from your Treo. I believe there is software out there for this. I do something similar, which is that I run an SMTP server at home but I relay the mail to the roadrunner server because some hosts don't accept mail from dynamic IPs.

Sadly I wrote a pretty nice TCP redirector a few years ago for windows but I lost the sources. I really liked it It was only like 200 lines of code though.
    I also have road runner service here in southern california. Every email program I have used did not allow me to send outgoing email, UNTIL i tryed treomail. It works like a charm.
    Sean
    I have roadrunner here in Charlotte and I can send out email just fine with no problems...
    I actually found an old buggy version of my redir code. Had to debug it and fix it up for the later MFC because I wrote it in 1997 and you know how Windows is a moving target etc.

http://rallypilot.sourceforge.net/work/redir-win32.zip

It's just a TCP redirector. You run it in a win32 console and it listens on a local port for connections, and then it connects to another server & port and ties the two together.

syntax: redir fromport toaddr toport

Anyways I included the source and made it public domain etc. It's only a 150 line C++ file.
    NM,
    Are you still wanting to know how to have your RR emails sent from your Treo to be seen as from a RR account (per se) so when they rely, it goes to your RR account? I could not tell if this is what you wanted or if this was addressed in this thread yet. Matt