1.    #1  
    We've all have shared our opinion regarding the low screen resolution at length.

One of the worst things about 160x160 is that it doesn't allow you to do things like read street names on maps. You have this wonderful mobile device that's on the web and you can look up directions and maps, but then the maps can be useless sometimes because you can't read the street names because of the low resolution.

But, since the new Blazer is proxy-less, it receives the full images with all their details. Now I have to assume that the new Blazer will do its own image conversion that the proxy used to perform in order to fit web pages on the small screen without right-to-left scrolling.

However, it would be really nice if the new blazer offered a feature to allow you to see a wide view of an image (or maybe the whole page, though this is not as useful). This would make an image NOT fit on the screen and you would have to scroll left, right, up, down to see different parts of it. This way, you can be made to view any details you want despite the low resolution. This is similar to (ahem) what late versions of Interenet Explorer allows you to do when you view a large image.

One way to do this is for Blazer to keep the source image after it does the shrinking. This requires a lot of memory. An alternative is for Blazer to request and download the image again when the user asks to see an expanded view of it.

I would LOVE to have this feature. And with the easy navigation using the directional pad, it would be a breeze moving the image around to see the details you need.
    Last edited by silverado; 07/08/2003 at 06:31 AM.
    Fireviewer will do this for you now.
    also I think the iPanel browser does this, but it's still in beta and is a little buggy, but works nice.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Fireviewer will do this for you now.
    I want something that works on the fly without preprocessing. I want an intergrated solution that works with a regular browser. For example, go to mapquest.com, ask for directions, get the map. If you find that it's compressed too much on your browser, click on it, select an option to expand it. Then you'll see the picture in expanded form so that you can see the fine details.

I used maps as one good example to illustrate the point. I think this option would alleviate many of the problems of the low screen resolution.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by imageone
    also I think the iPanel browser does this, but it's still in beta and is a little buggy, but works nice.
    Great, I'll have to give it a try (once I have a treo again ). Also, the fact that another browser has this feature makes it more likely that the new version of Blazer will do this.
    Originally posted by silverado

I want something that works on the fly without preprocessing. I want an intergrated solution
    Fireviewer doesn't require pre-processing, but it indeed is not integrated into Blazer.
    Kurt - I'm confused, do you mean to say that you can use Fireviewer to download images on the fly, like a browser? Or do you still need to download the images while at your desktop and then sync them down to the Treo?

I haven't used Fireviewer in a couple of years so I'm not really familiar with what it is up to these days...if you can grab images on the go then I might be interested in it.

Thanks...
    Yup. You type in a URL and it gets the image. Very useful for traffic maps, radar, things you check often.
    I'll say! Thanks for the info, Kurt...
  10.    #10  
    Yup. You type in a URL and it gets the image. Very useful for traffic maps, radar, things you check often.
    Does it work for images only, or could one plug in a URL for a web page that contains a picture? I am thinking of the mapquest scenario. If a normal web page would work, one could create the request via a web browser, then when the response shows up, copy the URL and paste it in fire viewer in order to take a better look at the pictures. Is that possible?
    Originally posted by silverado

Does it work for images only, or could one plug in a URL for a web page that contains a picture? I am thinking of the mapquest scenario. If a normal web page would work, one could create the request via a web browser, then when the response shows up, copy the URL and paste it in fire viewer in order to take a better look at the pictures. Is that possible?
    You know what? I don't know. How's that for an answer! :-P
  12.    #12  
    You know what? I don't know. How's that for an answer! :-P
    Normally, I would have downloaded and tried Fire Viewer long ago and not asked so many questions. But, alas, I am Treo-less these days