1.    #1  
    After a soft reset, the Palm OS removes any pending alarms set by applications. Because my program did not reapply its alarm after a soft reset, the device would not automatically turn on or off at scheduled times until the user entered and exited the program (this action sets the alarms).

I've added the code to address this, so there is now no user action necessary after a soft reset. Please upgrade to version 1.1 to take advantage of this fix.

I've also changed the icon from the generic default I should have replaced before shipping - look for a radio tower now.

200+ downloads and counting! Glad folks are finding it useful!

http://clanhobbs.org/treo
    Last edited by TreoCoder; 07/06/2003 at 04:39 PM.
  2.    #2  
    This is an excellent program and all should have it. Makes turning on your Treo Phone a breeze.

I have it set to start on soft resets and it works great. I also have it set to start on a given time and shut off on a given time.
    It does all this without the Treo actually being on.

Great little program and I encourage all to install. Saves me a heap of time and stress.
    Last edited by Ancient_One; 07/13/2003 at 02:19 AM.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

I'm not sure what this program does - can someone explain further what this program does for us Treo users?
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
    Originally posted by dgreensp
    I'm not sure what this program does - can someone explain further what this program does for us Treo users?
    When doing a soft reset, the Treo won't automatically turn the phone back on when it starts back up, so it's easy to accidentally leave the phone off. There's an on option Radio Control to automatically turn the phone back on right after a soft reset. You can also schedule times to turn the phone on and off if you want to conserve battery life or for other reasons.
    This is a great utility. Thanks!
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by letsgoflyers81

When doing a soft reset, the Treo won't automatically turn the phone back on when it starts back up, so it's easy to accidentally leave the phone off. There's an on option Radio Control to automatically turn the phone back on right after a soft reset. You can also schedule times to turn the phone on and off if you want to conserve battery life or for other reasons.
    Yup, that's exactly what it does. It's designed to work on the Treo 180/180g/270/300 models. It works perfectly on my 300, it tests correctly on an emulated 270, and I just had an e-mail from a 180g user letting me know it works there as well with no problem.

Here's a link to my original announcement: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=34032
    Works perfectly on my Treo 270 for the record.

Thanks for the great application.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

TreoCoder:

Question/Bug/Limitation?

If one has an appointment alarm set to remind prior to radio control turn-on time, radio will not turn on until alarm/reminder is cleared. IMO it would be better if the radio would turn on regardless of any alarms or reminders.

1. Can this be harmful to OS?
    2. Can this be fixed?

Thanks in advance.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by elysian9
    If one has an appointment alarm set to remind prior to radio control turn-on time, radio will not turn on until alarm/reminder is cleared. IMO it would be better if the radio would turn on regardless of any alarms or reminders.

1. Can this be harmful to OS?
    2. Can this be fixed?
    1. No, it wouldn't be harmful to the OS.

2. Short answer: It could be, but I won't.

Long (and technical) answer: When an application on the Palm sets an alarm, the Palm OS responds at the proper time with two launch codes (codes sent to an application to allow it to do something). It sends the first launch code (sysAppLaunchCmdAlarmTriggered) to all applications with an alarm set for that particular time, and then it sends the second code (sysAppLaunchCmdDisplayAlarm) to those apps.

The Palm programming guidelines strongly suggest that programmers only handle quick events that will not display a modal dialog box during the first launch code ("The application should not perform any lengthy tasks in response to sysAppLaunchCmdAlarmTriggered because doing so delays other applications from receiving alarms that are set to trigger at the same time" [1]). This allows all apps to receive the first launch code without waiting for a user to clear a dialog box, for example. Then each app gets the second launch code, and it's during this launch code that apps can do things like display reminders, or anything else in fact that might put up a modal dialog box. While that modal dialog box is displayed, the Palm does not send the next app its second launch code. Only after the dialog is cleared does the next app receive its launch code.

This is what is happening to RadioControl. I turn on the radio during the second launch code. I do this because it is possible for an error to occur while turning on the wireless mode, and if an error should occur, a dialog box will appear and wait for user input. If I were to attempt to turn on the radio during the first launch code, it is conceivable that I would prevent other applications from receiving their launch codes, which would be inappropriate.

Hopefully this makes sense. I do appreciate the feedback!

[1] http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/do...s.html#1010537
    Originally posted by TreoCoder

2. Short answer: It could be, but I won't.
    Thanks for the explanation!

I do understand your reasoning, though I think that if HS would include your app as a builtin (and they should) that this limitation would be considered as just that: a limitation. Another way of saying it would be that it would not be "fully integrated" as a Treo utility. I'm sure there is way to fully integrate RC in such a way that causes no errors or anything else inappropriate.
    There are now at least three different programs available that implement automatic radio activation on reset:

1) shareware "treotools" http://www.notifymail.com/palm/#treotools

2) commercial "Stretch" http://electricpocket.com/products/stretch.html

3) freeware "radio control"
    http://clanhobbs.org/treo/

I've used the free demo version of "treotools" continuously with no problem for about 8 months, but haven't tried the others.

If it ain't broke...
    Originally posted by f18man
    ... I've used the free demo version of "treotools" continuously with no problem for about 8 months, but haven't tried the others.

Many thanks, f18man, for the references. Both Treotools and Stretch allow for Radio-turn-on regardless of application alarms and alerts.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Radio Control is fantastic! I have been using it on my 270 for months without a single failure. It doesn't interfere with other alarms either. It has a much cooler icon on the applications screen than Treo Tools too. Best of all, it is free! Thank you Chris.

Kirby
    Just wanted to mention TreoHelper, also freeware. It activates the radio after a reset, plus it keeps the data connection alive, and a number of other things worth checking out.

I'm not saying it's better than Radio Control, I'm only posting this to complete f18man's list.