Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    On the new Vision plans coming out Monday, there will be an extra charge if you have a phone with Pocket PC. Instead of paying $15 for Vision, you will pay $30. This applies to the current Toshiba, the Hitachi that's being released now, and the upcoming i700.

This does not apply to Palm phones as of yet for reasons I don't know. It could be that since PPCs have a better browser than Sprint's current Palm smartphones, they feel that PPCs will drain Vision more than the Palms will. If that's the logic, then we may see the Treo 600 subjected to similar charges since it's OS 5 and has a better browser. Another possibile rationale on their part could be that the SDIO slot on these phones could be used to add bluetooth to the phone, and we know that Sprint's not a huge fan of Bluetooth since it can be used with laptops. Again, if that's the logic, the Treo 600 might be subject to the charge on those grounds as well.

So...do you think they'll hit the Treo with this (assuming the backlash isn't strong enough to have killed it by the time the Treo comes out)? And if they do try to charge this, would this influence your decision to get one? Is it worth paying an extra $15 a month for it (or $20 if you're on an older plan)?

-Brian
    Blarg. All of a sudden Sprint ain't looking so hot as a data provider.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I don't see how Sprint will be able to keep that policy in effect unless they don't want to sell Pocket PCs anymore.
    Where did you get this information?

Do you have a link you can point us to?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I'd certainly like to see more information. I keep thinking/fantasizing that Sprint will announce the Treo 600 along with Vision 2.0. Unlikely, of course, but I dwell in hope . . .
  6. PHO
    they wont charge you more if your already on a plan.

Sprint is good about that

I just wish i would have gotten the 4000 anytime minutes for 150 bucks while it was available
    Hmm, Possible Treo Convert?
    Yes, please provide a link to verify this. Remember it was only a week ago that rumors surfaced that Sprint was no longer going to bann modem use of phones with laptops/pdas, but that turned out to be wrong as well! I would want to see it in writing before I believe it...
  8. PHO
    http://www.therogueelement.com/sprint/regularEDIT.jpg

this link was on Smart Phone Forums.

Its in the asterisk in the first block paragraph, you can barely read it

this pricing though is a signifigant increase from last year.

I'm on 2000 anytime, unlimited pcs pcs add a phone free, unlimited vision for 79 bucks.

that plan is now 100 bucks and the Pcs Pcs is 5 dollars more and the add a phone is 10 more

so, from Oct till July the plan went from 79 to 115

that is a 31% increase in plan cost (not including PPC)
    Hopefully they'll honor existing plans (I'm on the $10 Vision plan). If not, I might have to look at T-Mobile, which would be cheaper at $20, and allows laptop use. The Treo 600 on Vision is not worth an extra $20/month, IMHO.
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Thats Completely Wrong. Sprint Is Not Charging Extra Fees For Having Pocket PC.
  11. PHO
    Originally posted by DSDxp
    Thats Completely Wrong. Sprint Is Not Charging Extra Fees For Having Pocket PC.
    Well, BKRodgers posted the link on SPF's

and then he said 2 posts later that he saw this info on a sprint persons' desk.

He also started the thread here. He has several posts on SPF and i have not found him to be a random hoax poster.

It sounds wierd to me, But, i guess we'll see. After this i500 release rollar coaster, and the 7135 releaes rollar coaster, i don't know what to believe anymore.
    Originally posted by PHO

Well, BKRodgers posted the link on SPF's

and then he said 2 posts later that he saw this info on a sprint persons' desk.

He also started the thread here. He has several posts on SPF and i have not found him to be a random hoax poster.

It sounds wierd to me, But, i guess we'll see. After this i500 release rollar coaster, and the 7135 releaes rollar coaster, i don't know what to believe anymore.
    A link, please?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
  13.    #13  
    PHO, thanks for the props, I try to keep it real. Anyway, this was posted above, and I realize this isn't from a Sprint site, but I first learned about it here:

http://www.therogueelement.com/sprint/regularEDIT.jpg

Looks pretty official. People on the sprintusers forum have also claimed that they have seen the real brochure and this is it.

The confirmation is that when I was in the Sprint store yesterday, I saw a memo lying on the guy's desk that detailed what the changes in the new plans were, and it clearly stated that unlimited vision for any phone that ran PPC was going to be $30 instead of $15 now. This was clearly an official memo from Sprint corporate (and why would they have a fake memo lying around the stores?). These plans are supposedly going to hit the streets tomorrow, so we'll know for sure then, but to me this looks pretty solid.

So back to my question....let's assume it is real. Do you think they might hit the Treo 600 with it since it too has SDIO and a better browser that could suck up more bandwidth? And if they did, would it influence your decision to get one?

-Brian
    Well, when you think about it, this plan change raises the price of a Treo by at least $200 (assuming slightly more than a year of use). That's a huge hit and indeed I myself am not going to be tricked into thinking it isn't a lot of money because I'm spending it over a year. We will have to see if I get it.

(Hey, look at that, 2000 posts)
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Thats Odd... I Work For Sprint And We Got The New Rate Guides In And There's Nothing About Extra Charges For Pocket PC.
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by DSDxp
    Thats Odd... I Work For Sprint And We Got The New Rate Guides In And There's Nothing About Extra Charges For Pocket PC.
    hmm...don't know what to say about that, but I am 100% sure I read that memo correctly at the Sprint store. And I've heard others say they'd been told this was coming as well. Guess we'll see when the plans hit the street, but I'm pretty sure the charge is going to be there.

-Brian
  17.    #17  
    Here are links to better scans of the brochures:

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...116#post130116

The guy who scanned these, deval, works at Radio Shack and is a moderator at sprintusers. He's rarely wrong. And these brochures do not look doctored in any way. They clearly specify an extra charge for PPC phones, and as I said earlier, the internal memo I saw clearly indicated it was $30.

It seems to be a bad business choice, but it appears to be what they're doing for this round of plans. I'm just worried that they may use whatever rationale that led to this to justify hitting the Treo 600 with it. Much as I like the Treo 600's specs, if we're going to be charged $180 a year premium on the thing, I don't know if it's worth that...certainly makes any Sprint version of the T600 a lot less appealing.

-Brian
    Well, that just confirms what I've thought all along about U.S. companies. They're too short-sighted and greedy. Instead of leveling the playing field and providing incentive to embrace newer technology, they jack up the prices.

I wonder if Sprint is receiving any "pressure" from other cell phone providers who are scared of Microsoft taking over their market? ("Hey Microsoft is trying to get into our business. Sprint, jack up the price for using Microsoft so we have a chance or we'll go to your competitors.")

Stranger things have happened.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

19. PHO
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget
    Well, that just confirms what I've thought all along about U.S. companies. They're too short-sighted and greedy. Instead of leveling the playing field and providing incentive to embrace newer technology, they jack up the prices.

I wonder if Sprint is receiving any "pressure" from other cell phone providers who are scared of Microsoft taking over their market? ("Hey Microsoft is trying to get into our business. Sprint, jack up the price for using Microsoft so we have a chance or we'll go to your competitors.")

Stranger things have happened.
    I'm up for as good a conspiracy theory as the next, but, what i am finding in my quest for streaming video, is that PPC's just have better capabilities to surf the net than do Palms.

we can assume that :

1: $10 for vision is a WAY underpriced service and only works if no one really uses it.

2: we know this because laptop consumption is at least 80$ and other providers charge way more even for vision like speeds on phones

3: PPC's have IE in them and haev more web capabilities as well as windows media player making them really almost a laptop (i kknow still processer is slower and less features)

Therefore Sprint si going to have to be more realistic about its pricing or face some real issues as people start to adopt these services.

For me, the net is just starting to become viable on my i330, speed wise. If i could stream, whoah i'd be using it alot.

LOCK in your plans now kiddies
    $15!?!?!? What happened to $10? I know that people are not using their $10 worth of data every month, let alone $15 and $30. Well, bad move Sprint. No doubt the T-mobile data plan is a better value if you use a laptop at all.

When will these greedy POS providers ever learn?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast