Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Business Week refers to Microsoft as shameful and confirms what I have been saying all along. Microsoft Pocket PCs represent Symbolism over Substance in its shining hour. Definitely NOT Cool!!!

I am a Designer for a living. For fun I am a design fanatic of the highest order. I eat, sleep, and drink design. Saul Bass, the great graphic artist once said, “Design is thinking made visual.” I agree.

My philosophy as a designer has always been to create products that are timeless. Timeless Design by definition is when a product appears to be from the past and the future simultaneously.

In my recent review of the new Treo 600 I bashed the PocketPC and called it a piece of garbage. I also said "The Treo 600 is the Evolution of the Revolution in Every Way, Shape and Form. At the end of the day if a product design is not very useful it has no real social value." I was specifically refering to the Microsoft PocketPC with this statement.

It appears that BusinessWeek magazine agrees with me. More on that later.

In my front page article called, “Treo 600: Love at First Sight” and this is why I said it:

“In a weird kind of way the iPaq when compared to the Treo 270 is kind of like comparing a dramatic woman to a mellow one. I am sooo sick of overly dramatic persnickety women. I’ll take the mellow, nice, easygoing one any time.

I have always believed the reason why the Handspring Treo would beat out the Microsoft Pocket PC in the final analysis was because Jeff Hawkins always carried his PDA with him and relied so heavily on it. Not to mention, Jeff Hawkins invented the original Palm Pilot.

Conversely, I have only ever seen one picture of Bill Gates with a PDA in his hand and I think it was likely staged. I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised.

This whole PDA thing is so weird because Microsoft has always slaughtered every one of its competitors by their third attempt. Strangely the PDA arena has been the exception to that rule.

For whatever it is worth, I think Palm has got Microsoft smoked. Especially with Jeff Hawkins back in the creative drivers seat at Palm. I think the only way Microsoft can catch Palm is if Microsoft completely overhauls everything and basically copies the form factor of the Treo 600. Pocket PC design today is suffering from a bankruptcy of ideas. Pocket PCs today look sooo stale. They look like color Palm 3s…Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

An accurate hardware analogy would be to compare touch screen remote controls to remote controls with physical buttons. The current Pocket PCs are all screen and few physical buttons. The Treo conversely has a screen with many buttons. A friend of mine who works in a super-high-end Audio/Video store was showing me these really expensive touch screen remotes with no hard buttons.

I told my pal I did not like the touch screen remotes because there was no tactile feedback and you had to turn on the backlighting and look at the unit every time you wanted to do anything. With a buttoned remote after you get used to it you can use it in the dark.

(Speaking of in-the-dark. In case you never noticed, the Treo is an excellent flashlight!)

I use the MX-500 Universal Remote from Home Theater Master. Oh my God! If you don’t have an MX-500 run out and get one! It is by far and away the best universal remote control on earth. It is as amazing as the Treo 600. You can get them from http://www.bluedo.com for almost half-off the retail price.”

In the upcoming July 14, 2003 issue of BusinesWeek magazine, Technology Editor, Stephen H. Wildsrtom reviews the new iPaq that run Microsoft Pocket PC OS and this is what he has to say:

“Over the past several years, few products have inspired as much ambivalence in me as the line of iPaq Pocket PCs from Compaq and now Hewlett Packard. From the first model in 2000, the iPaq’s have been marvels of design that are both clever and beautiful. But I’ve never really gotten comfortable with the Microsoft Pocket PC software that ran on them. It has always seemed to try too hard to be a mini-Windows, in the process sacrificing the simplicity that remains the hallmark of Palm-based handhelds.

For the most part, this trend continues in the two new iPaqs that I tested, which are the leading edge of a generation of handhelds based on what has been re-named Microsoft Mobile for Pocket PC 2003 software. The newest iPaqs, both the tiny 5.1oz h2215 NS RHW 7.3-OZ. H5500 with built in Wi-Fi wireless networking, are elegant products with big, bright screens and well-thought-out controls. Unfortunately, the software, while improved in many ways, still seems designed more for corporate information-technology professionals than ordinary users.

….To some extent, the complexity of Pocket PCs networking is a price you have to pay for its power. But I can’t think of any excuse for Microsoft’s failure to remedy Pocket PC’s miserable handling of Microsoft Office files….The mishandling of Word files is shameful….Pocket PCs come with a lot of off-putting complexity that may give you pause if you can’t turn to the help desk when you run into problems.”

These are the words of Stephen H. Wildsrtom, Technology Editor for BusinesWeek magazine, which is the bible of business magazines.

I rest my case.
    Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 07/04/2003 at 03:20 AM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  2. purpleX
    then treo 600 shall die.
    are you ready?
  3.    #3  
    purpleX

Say something substantive or delete your silliness. This forum is serious, not jokey-jokey.

Please do not be a Grey Man.

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 07/03/2003 at 10:14 PM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

4. purpleX
    You mean like Star Wars serious?

(and don't worry about serious. they are comming.)
  5.    #5  
    PurpleX

Well that was a substantive response!

Don't make me embarrass you in front of your friends.

Jake

6. purpleX
    hmm, sneaker and bridge to the future, where should I start...

hearing the term "timeless'design already makes anybody chuckle to no end. That after the great speech about bridge to the future. Well at least I know I am not dealing with the thinker type in the design scene...

Plus didn't modernism dies about ehmm, 3 decades go...

but... so much for the ideology of aesthetic....

let's start with these persnickety bi tch we called spec comparison...

... oops, cigarette break...
    bbl in 10.

(how is that for persnickety.
    )
  7.    #7  
    PurpleX,

You are not a chick are you?

Everything considered classic was once considered modern.

What do you know about modernism?

8. purpleX
    now let's get down to business:

-PPC has better Office applications. Office app doesn't mean built in pocket Office only but: Textmaker, Clearvue, ptab, SpreadCE.

If Palmies are trumpeting how DTG trumps pOffice on roundtripping, then I only need to point out that DTG is not bundled with any HS products, Zire or NX/NR. This effectively putting PPC 3rd party option on equal price footing.

-Browser capabilty in PPC2k3 far surpassed anything Palm has to offer. This include netfront. (Browser means HTTP/HTML compliant, not proxy client)

-Email client is built in and uses standard desktop file and FAT, which effectively eleminate the need of conduit in any form.

-High end apps in POS almost don't exit saved for less than a handful titles, rendering ARM CPU as mere faster version of dragonball.

-Is PPC the only one using windows? I don't know. Does POS uses pull down menu, title bar, icons, dialog boxes and rectangular border to represent running apps? If so, the difference are mere cosmetic, not fundamental.

-POS drivers layer are so primitive it's not even funny. Peripherals are balkanized and often only run on one or two models only.

--------
    If I would to speculate, from OS6.0 on Palm will look no more than windows with different skin on top. POS last and only UI innovation is copying Newton look.

All in all, recent Palm product has been high on fluff and price but low on spec and actual features. I wouldn't be surprised if this year is the year Palm overall market share fall below 50%.
    Will you two grow up?

Technology is a fast-moving vehicle. ANY device that doesn't meet the needs of its users is going to be put down after the novelty wears off.

The two camps (Microsoft and Palm) each cater to two different kinds of users by virtue of the design choices they've made in their operating systems. Each camp has its good and bad points. They are BOTH capable platforms.

What is important is that each user finds productivity in his/her respective choice. What is also important is that there is a CHOICE to begin with. I am a Treo user. I like the Treo. I like the Palm operating system. Are there things that I would like to see happen with the platform? Certainly. I can be very passionate in my use of and evangelism of the platform and my desire to see it evolve.

But I also welcome the competition. Without competition there is no pressure to get better. The marketplace is not for the timid. Features are no good if no one wants them. A device is no good if it doesn't meet a target audience's needs. Either you have it or you don't.

Products must evolve. Fighting for market share is what makes a product evolve. Those that fail to evolve in time will become extinct.

That's the bottom line. Does Microsoft have a lot of money to throw at their product to market it? Sure they do. Have they been able to change the minds of the masses yet? Nope. But that doesn't mean that they won't. So Palm had better not rest on its laurels. The same innovation and determination that got Palm where it is today is what needs to continue to happen.

Hopefully, Palm (and Handspring) will find the synergy of operation, management, and philosophy (Zen of Palm) that appeals to the masses and will CONTINUE to appeal to them.

The KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) works for a lot of people. The power users want features, features, features!! The average Joe (and Jane) wants to pick it up and have it work without having to think about it.

The marriage of design, functionality, power, performance, and price are the Holy Grail of PDA/Smartphones. Finding just the right balance is the key. Does one size fit all? No way...and it never will.

All we should hope for is standardization between the various platforms so that communication can take place. The rest should be left to the individual as a matter of personal taste. ("I like my phone to be silver." "I like mine with QWERTY." "I like mine with T-9." "I want Palm." "I want Microsoft."...etc. etc. etc.)

In the end...all that really matters is: "Does it work? Yes. Do you have a choice of products? Yes. Then shut up and be happy."
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  10.    #10  
    O.K. let’s get down to business PurpleX:

First let me say I hope you enjoyed your cigarette break.

Second, I agree with EVERYTHING you said, even though I did not understand one third of it.

Third, I am not a Palmie or a PocketPC dude. I don’t care what label you attach to a device, I am only interested in design excellence, meaning; does the product do what it is designed to do, and does it do it well? By well I mean ease of operation. If the product looks great, that makes it more appealing but at the end of the day it really boils down to form following function.

There is no question that having the increased resolution on the PPC has benefits, like for web surfing in IE and for Office apps. I think the Pocket PC was promising in many ways. I just think Microsoft lost its way and was highly myopic. For me personally, I don’t intend to surf the web on my handheld and I don’t intend to do a lot of work with office apps.

The Sr. Technology Editor for Business Week, Stephen H. Wildsrtom, drew the distinction accurately when he said, “I’ve never really gotten comfortable with the Microsoft Pocket PC software that ran on them. It has always seemed to try too hard to be a mini-Windows, in the process sacrificing the simplicity that remains the hallmark of Palm-based handhelds...Pocket PCs come with a lot of off-putting complexity…”

Speaking of a man who today is considered to be classical but was once considered a brilliant modernist, Leonardo Da Vinci said, “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

I say, “Power is useless without control.” The Treo 600 is what the PocketPC wishes it could be.

In my personal opinion the Treo 600 is so far superior to the PPC it isn’t even funny.

The challenge PurpleX is that at this stage of the game either you get it or you don’t. If you think the PPC is better than the Treo I don’t understand why you are lurking in the Treocentral.com forum making a lot of snide remarks and then backing them up with nonsensical logic.

With all due respect, all I can say is that if you think the PocketPC is better, based on your apparent logic, and posting in this forum it does not surprise me.

If you think the Pocket PC is better why are in the Treo 600 forum?
    Last edited by JakeE; 07/04/2003 at 05:37 AM.

11.    #11  
    Insp_Gadget:

Design is part science (function) and part form (Art). A product that is an excellent design has a perfect marriage between art and science (50%-50%) The challenge is that it is very difficult to achieve this perfect harmony.

Any real designer will tell you that at the end of the day design science is more important than design art. Science by definition is the pursuit of truth. Art by definition is the pursuit of emotional response.

I agree with you when you say, “The marriage of design, functionality, power, performance, and price are the Holy Grail of PDA/Smartphones. Finding just the right balance is the key.”

But when you say, “Does one size fit all? No way...and it never will.” I disagree to a certain extent.

I don’t know if you are familiar with the concept or principals of Universal Design. Universal Design is a concept that was first developed by architects, product designers, engineers and environmental design researchers, as a design process for creating products that are geared toward people who have severe physical handicaps.

When you are designing for people with handicaps like being in a wheelchair, you have to be very, very careful.

One of the cardinal rules of Universal Design is that you must ELIMINATE UNNECESSARY COMPLEXITY.

Universal Design is a system that promotes the development of products that are highly intuitive and equitable.

Ron Mace said, “Universal design is the design of products and environments to be usable by all people, to the greatest extent possible, without the need for adaptation or specialized design. The intent of universal design is to simplify life for everyone by making products, communications, and the built environment more usable by as many people as possible at little or no extra cost. Universal design benefits people of all ages and abilities.”

Jeff Hawkins, inventor of the Palm Pilot, stressed, "One of the keys to successful product design, is understanding the importance of a simple user experience. That simplicity can and should stop designers from overloading devices with too many unnecessary features."

In my personal opinion as a designer I believe that Jeff Hawkins has done a superb and excellent job of designing the Treo 600. Following the principles of Universal Design in regard to the Treo 600 Jeff Hawkins has uncovered the Holy Grail of handheld computing. This may not be so apparent to the world at this moment but to those of us who have been so fortunate to actually experiment with and familiarize ourselves with a Treo 600 in person it is clear. Crystal Clear!!!!

Gadget, you said, “Finding just the right balance is the key.” Jeff Hawkins found it and it is called the Treo 600. When you said, “Does one size fit all? No way...and it never will.” You are correct but I believe the Treo 600 scientifically comes the closest to an uber device.

The point I keep emphasizing over and over is that I am not so exited with the Treo 600 so much as the fact that it is a harbinger for great things to come. Thank God, Jeff Hawkins was nutty and bold enough to walk around with a block of wood and pretend it was a PDA. Thank god he ended up holding that block of wood to his head to pretend it was a phone. If it was not for Jeff Hawkins none of us would be having this conversation.
    Last edited by JakeE; 07/07/2003 at 03:32 AM.

Originally posted by JakeE
    If you think the PPC is better than the Treo I don’t understand why you are lurking in the Treocentral.com forum making a lot of snide remarks and then backing them up with nonsensical logic.

With all due respect, all I can say is that if you think the PocketPC is better, based on your apparent logic, and posting in this forum it does not surprise me.

If you think the Pocket PC is better why are in the Treo 600 forum?
    It is b/c PurpleX as he is known here is a troll. He has no life outside this miserable existance of annoying others. If you don't believe me, then checkout the forums at palminfocenter or brighthand where he is known as blueanon, bluehaze, ska, vispi, soulstice, tawnerx, and many more. He is a PPC fanatic whose only goal in life is to bash those you don't like the same geeky gadget he gets off on. He has never owned a PalmOS pda or any type of smartphone. The best thing to do is annoy him. He won't give out his email or IM screenames b/c he's basically a coward who only attacks those from the safety of anonymity (trust me I've tried). To instigate people to argue with him, he tries to use sly often insulting comments. And when he gets cornerd in an arguement or caught for spreading lies, he will even resort to bigoted or racially slanderous statments like those here. I personally don't know why he decided to pollute the forms here. Perhaps b/c users elsewhere began to ignore him and he now feels the urge to find more people to fight with. He does not contribute anything to a discussion other than perverting every thread into a yet another PPC vs PalmOS rant. I would advise the moderators here to watch him carefully and vigorously edit posts.
  13.    #13  
    gfunkmagic

Thank you for sharing your insight about PurpleX.

There is a great quote that says, "He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skills. Our antagonist is our helper."

In a weird kind of way I think PurpleX unkindly assisted in illustrating the substantive point of the Business Week Article.

ThankX, PurpleX
    Jake

...snip...The point I keep emphasizing over and over is that I am not so exited with the Treo 600 so much as the fact that it is a harbinger for great things to come. Thank God, Jeff Hawkins was nutty and bold enough to walk around with a block of wood and pretend it was a PDA. Thank god he ended up holding that block of wood to his head to pretend it was a phone. If it was not for Jeff Hawkins none of us would be having this conversation.
    Jake,

I'm not disagreeing with any of your principles on design or your enthusiasm over the innovation in design that you've observed with the Treo 600. Far from it.

I'm just tired of pointless bickering. To argue the merits of a device is one thing, but people seem to take it personal when a flaw is pointed out in a device. (I'm not talking about you or anyone in particular). But instead of a meaningful discussion about features, design, etc. we seem to always end up with personal attacks...as if someone is stupid for choosing THAT device versus MY device.

People need to grow up and realize that the benefits of having all these wonderful machines to choose from far outweigh any small lack of a specific feature, on a particular device, in the overall scheme of things.

Antagonists and instigators of conflict between the two platforms do nothing but waste time and energy. To those people, I say embrace the best of both worlds and enjoy the fruits of that labor.

...And don't allow the "trolls" to trigger you.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
  15.    #15  
    Insp_Gadget

I agree 100%!!

I am just so excited by the Treo 600!!!!!!!!!!!!

After having the highly privileged opportunity to goof around with a Treo 600, I can’t help but try to share my insight with everybody.

I remember when I saw the first real world photos of the Original Treo 180. I think it was a member of the Stanford users group who wrote a review of the 180 and it was great but it left more questions that it answered.

I on the other hand tried as best as I was able to share everything I could through my review. Could you imagine if the newest story on Treocentral.com at this moment was still the one entitled “Treo 600 Revealed” If I did not gain the insight which I published in my review, I think I would be climbing the walls with curiosity at this point!

I think the people in this forum deserve to have more insight and input into the future of the Treo. After all we are the people who invest in them and make them an integral part of our lives.

I was just thinking about it and I have an idea. You know I am not crazy about the PPC but a group of PPC enthusiast got together and pitched the PPC group at Microsoft on the idea of having an official group of PPC enthusiast who would go up to Redmond and share insight on how to improve the PPC.

Perhaps we should do the same thing with Palm? There are so many brilliant people in this forum with superb ideas and insight. It would be sooo cool if there was a way in the form of a feedback loop to pass this precious insight onto Palm.

My Dear Inspector, what do you think?

Jake

...snip...My Dear Inspector, what do you think?

Jake
    That sounds like a great idea...It would require quite a bit of organization. It's the kind of thing that a User's Group would do. Perhaps in addition to the Palm Users Groups (PUGs) that are out there, someone can organize a TUG (Treo Users Group).

We could have NATUG (North America), EURTUG (Europe), ASTUG (Asia), etc.

Of course, it would probably start at a city level: LATUG (Los Angeles), LONTUG (London), TOKTUG (Tokyo), etc.

Any such attempt, of course would require a dedicated website that each User Group could register with. TreoCentral could even do it (at least as a start).
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

17.    #17  
    O.K. Gadget,

Maybe we should call it TUG Boat. Because we are the passengers on the Treo User Group boat and we want to help navigate the Treo to its proper destination which is for it to be the best product it can be. You know, we are kind of all in this boat together kind of thing? Treo Users Group Boat--TUG Boat?

I am nominating you to be the founding Director of Operations for (your title would be FDO) of TUG Boat NA (North America).

What do you say Gadget? Are you up for it?

By the way, where are you located?

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 07/04/2003 at 06:01 AM.

Originally posted by gfunkmagic

It is b/c PurpleX as he is known here is a troll. He has no life outside this miserable existance of annoying others. If you don't believe me, then checkout the forums at palminfocenter or brighthand where he is known as blueanon, bluehaze, ska, vispi, soulstice, tawnerx, and many more.
    Interesting. How can you know these are all the same guy? Same syntax, typos, arguments, or something more clear-cut?
  19. purpleX
    Second, I agree with EVERYTHING you said, even though I did not understand one third of it.

Third, I am not a Palmie or a PocketPC dude. I don’t care what label you attach to a device, I am only interested in design excellence, meaning; does the product do what it is designed to do, and does it do it well?
    How can you know a product does something well or not if you don't even know standard activity and terms in area of contention?

pOffice rountripping issues is what you cited from Bweek articles. Browser has became very significant app in PDA and price is certainly a major criteria for a PDA success.

I think the Pocket PC was promising in many ways. I just think Microsoft lost its way and was highly myopic.
    we are not talking abotu vision, promise, probable future or unrealised dream.

We are talking features and operational capability of existing units and applications.

The Sr. Technology Editor for Business Week, Stephen H. Wildsrtom, drew the distinction accurately when he said, “I’ve never really gotten comfortable with the Microsoft Pocket PC software that ran on them. It has always seemed to try too hard to be a mini-Windows, in the process sacrificing the simplicity that remains the hallmark of Palm-based handhelds...Pocket PCs come with a lot of off-putting complexity…”
    So what? They are also the magazine that touted Handspring as raising star before the bubble burst and Handspring vanished. They like treo and tablet PC. And we all know how the sale of those product sky rocket... They also like Enron, btw.

Any gadget freaks knows, big media review is about as hip as last season box office. You want to know the latest movie trend, go to underground film festivals and talk to the film students. You want to know what's hot with PDA, go talk to developers and scour the geek scenes. Business week is not the authority on the matter.

Speaking of a man who today is considered to be classical but was once considered a brilliant modernist, Leonardo Da Vinci said, “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”
    sure tell that to the sistine chapel restorer.

I say, “Power is useless without control.” The Treo 600 is what the PocketPC wishes it could be.
    and I say you are rambling.

In my personal opinion the Treo 600 is so far superior to the PPC it isn’t even funny.
    show me.
    It's simple isn't it?
    -show me applications
    -show me performance
    -show me the benchmark criteria.

and I'll show you how utterly behind treo600 is. Vague claimed, fudgy benchmark and nauseating talk about incidental trivia do not constitute prove.

The challenge PurpleX is that at this stage of the game either you get it or you don’t. If you think the PPC is better than the Treo I don’t understand why you are lurking in the Treocentral.com forum making a lot of snide remarks and then backing them up with nonsensical logic.

If you think the Pocket PC is better why are in the Treo 600 forum? [/B]
    if you think treo 600 is so superior, what's the worry?
    you are not trembling are you?

tho' I have the feeling we are going to hear massive whining soon.
  20. purpleX
    [B]Insp_Gadget:

I agree with you when you say, “The marriage of design, functionality, power, performance, and price are the Holy Grail of PDA/Smartphones. Finding just the right balance is the key.”
    keep talking about design and functionality doesn't constitute showing design and functionality. It's academic meta discourse.

Following the principles of Universal Design in regard to the Treo 600 Jeff Hawkins has uncovered the Holy Grail of handheld computing.
    ..... full of it aren't we?
    following universal design, Holy grail of handheld computing... what's next? Jesus personally gives the design inspiration?

Don't forget this Hawkins PDA messiah is also the one Sony diced for lunch in 3 quarters. Microsoft wiped his smartphone british market share in single quarter. so much for universal design.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast