1.    #1  
    I don't know why I tried this, but I just sent and email with an address other then a @SprintPCS one. Remember about a month or two ago, Sprint made it were you could not do this, is it back, or is this a fluke?

I hope this is the way it's going to be, I much rather use my real email address then the PCS one. I use the PCS one for friends and family only.

Anyone know?

Regards,matt burkhard
    Hmm. I confirm that it works for me as well. Will wonders never cease.
  3.    #3  
    Happy,happy. Joy,joy. ........

BTW potatoho, You were the first person I thought of when I posted this info today LOL

Regards,Matt Burkhard
    I've moved all of my email over to a (so far) free fastmail.fm account. The free account doesn't let you send mail via SMTP, so having the smtp.sprintpcs.com working again is great.

It's kinda strange having to worry about email bandwidth, but it's nice that I get 40MB of bandwidth per month for free. I'm not quite ready to go for a pay-account because it still has some rather low BW restrictions and that bugs me. I wish they'd have a $50/year unlimited account or something.

Anyways, the reason I use the fastmail is because I found a simple fetchmail configuration which allows me to get realtime mail downloading without having to switch my mail client to using IMAP. It's neato.

But then again there is some mention of runbox.com. Maybe that works as well, and I don't think there are BW quotas.
  5. jtd
    Question -

How do you have your e-mail program configured to allow sending 'home' e-mail via smtp.sprintpcs.com? I am having difficulty figuring things out. Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by jtd
    Question -

How do you have your e-mail program configured to allow sending 'home' e-mail via smtp.sprintpcs.com? I am having difficulty figuring things out. Thanks in advance.
    Several things:

1) You must go to www.sprintpcs.com and set up your email password.

Log into www.sprintpcs.com. Click on PCS Mail "email" link within the My Planner section. Click on Settings & Preferences ON THE RIGHT of the screen, not the one in the left column. Click on the Setup tab and set the password. At least that's how I remember it.

2) Your email application must support smtp-auth, and you configure it for smtp.sprintpcs.com your sprintpcs username and password (the one you set up above).
  7. jtd
    Thanks a lot for your response. I have two more questions regarding:

1) Your email application must support smtp-auth

I'm not sure if my e-mail application (Prodigy) supports smtp-auth. Any suggestions on how to find out?

2) configure it for smtp.sprintpcs.com your sprintpcs username and password (the one you set up above).

How do I configure it for smtp.sprintpcs.com? If it helps, I am using EudoroMail.

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.
    1) You need to enter this info into Eudora. The SMTP server has zero to do with your email account. It purely allows you to send emails. SMTP servers are usually limited by whom or where the email comes from to prevent abuse. That is why it was nice that Sprint started allowing other addresses through again, since it only requires authentication to send your own email.

2) I can't stand Eudora, so I blocked out the exact procedures. From a high level, you need to find the account configuration section in the options. Simply look for the POP3 and SMTP server settings. Then replace the SMTP server and add the option to authenticate to your SMTP server with your Vision username and password.