Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey Guys,

I just wanted to ask the question to everyone. What are the negatives or things that just stink with the new treo 600.
    Projected price ("...premium to current TREOs...") and display size/resolution.

And, of course, the financials of the company behind it.

Otherwise, really cool.

The Commodore Amiga was cool, too.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    ...The Commodore Amiga was cool, too.
    Yes, it was...a revolutionary and excellent machine that was way ahead of its time. It's unfortunate that its parent company didn't have the management/financials to market it. If they had, it likely would have killed off the Macintosh.

As for the Treo 600...well...it's not here yet...That's the only thing I find really wrong with it.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Important to me:

1. No replaceable battery - this issue is not adequately addressed with a "charger" in the event of a dead or defective battery - the whole unit has to be replaced.

2. 144 MHz processor - when faster ones are available, and will apparantly appear in phones like the Samsung SGH-i500 which will have a 300 MHz procesor.

3. Bar form leaves screen and buttons exposed and is larger when not in use than flip phones like the one mentioned above.

4. Weight - the 600 will actual be heavier than the 300, at 6 oz.

5. The OS is not upgradeable.

Important to others:

1. Screen is low-res and 12 bit when most PDA's these days are high-res and 16 bit.

2. Camera does not have embedded flash, making its use even more limited.

3. No bluetooth (yet).

4. Stub antenae - why have it, when phones like Nokia do nicely without them?

May be a negative:

1. Thumboard has been described as "as good or better than 300" by some and as "Stewart Little sized" by others. This will thus be a subjective point as one may either find the thumboard indespensible or inconveniently small to be used.
    Originally posted by sir_mycroft
    Important to me:

1. No replaceable battery - this issue is not adequately addressed with a "charger" in the event of a dead or defective battery - the whole unit has to be replaced.

...snip...
    I'm curious about your opinion on this. I've never had a PDA with rechargable batteries where the battery wore out and could no longer be charged. I've never heard of anyone claiming problems with a defective battery, either. Have either of these situations been your experience? If they have, you'd be the first person I've heard to actually have such an issue. You're more likely to replace your Treo with a newer model before the battery wears out.

My Palm Vx is still in use (by my sister). It uses the same battery technology and it's still going strong.

BTW, the SGH-i500 has only half of the battery life of the Treo 600, so a replaceable battery might be a necessity with that device. I believe the SGH-i500 comes with a rechargeable (1100mAh) battery which allows for 3 hours of talk time. This, compared to the Treo 600's 6 hours of talk time, might give me reason to pause...But I think I can live with 6 hours of talk time between charges.

If I really got talkative, there will be spare battery chargers that will give me more time.

Oh well...everyone has their own requirements.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  6.    #6  
    I actually have an ipaq 3630 on my desk that will not hold a charge anymore so I completely agree with that.

I am between the 7135 vs. I700 vs. 600 any opinions. What is verizon service like compared to sprint?
  7. purpleX
    Lithium ion degrade overtime. It's the battery chemistry. It usually degrades noticeably after 2 years or so.

search the net for more information about LiIon battery/battery maintenance.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    hmmm. So Handspring is assuming that we will all trade in our Treo 600's within two years of purchase, or else use the retail stores' replacement plans to get a free replacement. If I bought a Treo, I would also buy a replacement plan, so this assumption works for me.
  9. purpleX
    Will there be Palm two years from now? Handspring doesn't even exist anymore if two years rule is applied to previous treo models (270/300)

They can easily say, we don't support Handspring product anymore. We are new company, we will grandfathered all previous policy within 6 months. Oh btw, we'll give you discount if you upgrade to our newest model.

........ anybody want to bet this scenario is going to happen within a year amid continue deterioration of Palm in balance sheet?

(to be honest everybody does that, just some are more obvious than other.)
    I don't see Palm going away. If their balance sheet gets too bad, Apple or maybe even Gateway (with their new product initiative) acquires them. Someone, somewhere acquires them. The replacement plans I think are with a 3rd party insurance company, so if you have that you should be able to get something of comprable quality (and if the Treo 600 isn't around in 2 years, whatever is should be as good or better).

Palm having a market cap of $480 million today seems to be pretty stable to me.
  11. purpleX
    Palm inc has been known to weasel out on vague promise. You are not dealing with Handspring anymore.

can you get a written guarantee that treo 600 will be fully supported and all contract, service and spare part supply will hold as originally seen in local ad?

PS. palm solution is about to become new company after the split. It's new management and new wall street scrutiny, complete with vicious competitor chomping on market share.

Good luck telling this new company to keep balance sheet expectation high without crimping on service.
    The MP3 playback sucks. Don't even bother with listening 128 bit quality songs on it. The sound is like old electronic music. Start with at least 198 bit ones.

sir_mycroft:

Stub antenae - why have it, when phones like Nokia do nicely without them?
    There is no room inside for the antenae.

144 MHz processor - when faster ones are available, and will apparantly appear in phones like the Samsung SGH-i500 which will have a 300 MHz procesor.
    Why do you need 300 mhz processor on a Palm OS device ?
    Originally posted by ChipnDail
    The MP3 playback sucks. Don't even bother with listening 128 bit quality songs on it. The sound is like old electronic music. Start with at least 198 bit ones.

-snip-
    Why do you need 300 mhz processor on a Palm OS device ?

To listen to unnecessarily oversampled MP3s....

Of course tastes vary. I think 128kbps is fine, though 64 sucks.

Dan.
  14. PHO
    Originally posted by vagabond

To listen to unnecessarily oversampled MP3s....

Of course tastes vary. I think 128kbps is fine, though 64 sucks.

Dan.
    did i miss something, other than experiences with the 7135 why do we thinkwe'll be limited to 128?
    Hmm, Possible Treo Convert?
    Before I address your issues let me say that I am looking forward to having the Treo 600 for nine months or less. In my mind it is no more than a bridge to the future. I say out with the old, in with the new. When you buy a pair of sneakers you dont wear them until there are holes in them and fix them by adding ductape to the soles. Do You?

Originally posted by sir_mycroft
    Important to me:

THE ONLY PDA I EVER HAD WHERE THE BATTERY DIED EARLY WAS A COMPAQ IPAQ POCKET PC, AND AS I MENTIONED EARLIER IT WAS COMPLETE GARBAGE. THE REASON HANDSPRING CHOSE NOT TO MAKE THE BATTERY REMOVABLE IS BECAUSE IT WOULD REQUIRE AND ADDITIONAL PEICE OF PLASTIC WHICH WOULD HAVE RESULTED IN MAKING THE 600 THICKER...NOT ACCEPTABLE TRADEOFF.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT 5-6 HOURS OF TALKTIME? I THINK IF YOU JUST USE IT AS A PDA WITH THE PHONE OFF IT MUST LAST A MONTH BETWEEN CHARGES. IF YOU ARE A HEAVY WRAPPER I THINK THEY WILL HAVE EXTERNAL SLED BATTERIES. OH YEAH, YOU CAN RECHARGE IT WHILE YOU SLEEP?
    DO YOU REALLY THINK THIS IS AN ISSUE?

2. 144 MHz processor - when faster ones are available, and will apparantly appear in phones like the Samsung SGH-i500 which will have a 300 MHz procesor.

NON ISSUE

3. Bar form leaves screen and buttons exposed and is larger when not in use than flip phones like the one mentioned above.

UNLESS YOU PLAN TO DO WWF WRESTLING MANUEVERS ON ROCKS IT SHOULD BE FINE. HANDSPRING HAS MADE IT A TOP PRIORITY TO MAKE SURE THE TREO 600 IS HIGHLY RUGGED AND DURABLE. I ADDRESSED THIS IN MY ARTICLE.

4. Weight - the 600 will actual be heavier than the 300, at 6 oz.

THIS IS A FACT. WHEN YOU HOLD THE 600 IT FEELS MORE SOLID BECAUSE OF THE INCREASE IN WEIGHT.

DO YOU KNOW THIS TO BE A FACT? AND WHEN YOU SAY NOT UPGRADABLE I HAVE TO ASK, TO WHAT? DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE 600 IS RUNNING ON TOP OF THE 5.0 KERNAL IT IS STILL A SHELL. I THINK TO A LARGE EXTENT UPRADING THE 600 IN THE FUTURE WOULD BE LIKE TAKING YOUR CAR INTO THE SHOP AND SAYING, "I WANT THIS BAY BOY TO BE FASTER AND HANDLE BETTER. CAN YOU DROP A NEW ENGINE, TRANSMISSION AND SUSPENSION."

ENJOY THE 600 UNTIL SOMETHING BETTER COMES OUT WHICH WILL HOPEFULLY BE SOONER THAN LATER. AT THAT POINT SELL THE 600 ON EBAY AND RECOUP THE MAJORITY OF YOUR INITIAL INVESTMENT. THE REASON WHY WE ARE IN THIS FORUM HAVING THIS DISCUSSION IS BECAUSE WE ARE ALL ON THE CUTTING EDGE, NOT THE DULL EDGE.

Important to others:

1. Screen is low-res and 12 bit when most PDA's these days are high-res and 16 bit.

I AGREE. I WANT 16 BIT 320X320 AND I WANT AT LEAST A 1MEGAPIXEL CAMERA. I WOULD BE STUNNED IF THE NEXT GENERATION OF TREOS DO NOT HAVE THIS.

I UNDERSTAND BUT RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE. THE ONBOARD CAMERA IS NOT ABOUT TRYING TO BE THE NEXT ANSEL ADAMS. IT IS A SPYCAM OR PARTYCAM. FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE IT IS GREAT!

3. No bluetooth (yet).

BLUETOOTH IS A POWER HOG THAT IS VERY COMPLEX FOR THE AVERAGE BEAR TO USE TODAY. I THINK WE WILL SEE IT IN FUTURE VERSIONS.

4. Stub antenae - why have it, when phones like Nokia do nicely without them?

I AGREE 100% I ASKED ABOUT THIS AND THE ANSWER I WAS GIVEN IS THAT THERE IS NO ROOM IN THE PHONE. SO I ASKED, WHAT IF YOU BENT THE ANTENA 90 DEGREES SO THE PHONE WAS A LITTLE TALLER WITHOUT THE STUB LIKE A 8290? THEY SAID SOMETHING ABOUT THE QUALITY OF RECEPTION. I AM NOT CLEAR ON THIS. ONE ADVANTAGE TO THE STUB IS THAT IF YOU PICK IT UP BY THE STUB, WTHOUT LOOKING AT THE PHONE YOU KNOW WHICH WAY IS UP AND WHERE THE FRONT IS.

May be a negative:

1. Thumboard has been described as "as good or better than 300" by some and as "Stewart Little sized" by others. This will thus be a subjective point as one may either find the thumboard indespensible or inconveniently small to be used.

I USED IT AND IT IS BETTER. IT IS DIFFERENT, BUT IT IS BETTER. THIS HAS MORE TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT THE NEW KEYS ARE SHAPED LIKE TIC-TACS AS APPOSED TO THE CURRENT TREOS WHERE THEY ARE SHAPED LIKE MINI CHICKLETS. WITH MINI CHICKLETS YOU HAVE MUCH GREATER SURFACE AREA AND A MUCH HIGHER LIKELYHOOD FOR ERROR. THINK ABOUT IT?!? DO THE MATH.

Last edited by JakeE; 07/03/2003 at 08:03 PM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  16. purpleX
    Originally posted by JakeE
    Before I address your issues let me say that I am looking forward to having the Treo 600 for nine months or less. In my mind it is no more than a bridge to the future. I say out with the old, in with the new. When you buy a pair of sneakers you dont wear them until there are holes in them and fix them by adding ductape to the soles. Do You?

everything IS no more than a bridge to the future. No gadget lasts forever. The question to ask is if we are talking about a comfy engineered marathon sneaker, or an overpriced faddish running sneaker that can't even be used for running without giving you blister.

-------------------------

THE ONLY PDA I EVER HAD WHERE THE BATTERY DIED EARLY WAS A COMPAQ IPAQ POCKET PC, AND AS I MENTIONED EARLIER IT WAS COMPLETE GARBAGE. THE REASON HANDSPRING CHOSE NOT TO MAKE THE BATTERY REMOVABLE IS BECAUSE IT WOULD REQUIRE AND ADDITIONAL PEICE OF PLASTIC WHICH WOULD HAVE RESULTED IN MAKING THE 600 THICKER...NOT ACCEPTABLE TRADEOFF.

The real reason Handspring chose not to use replaceable battery is because it's VERY expensive to make in small quantity. They require customizable chasis and extra safety circuitry. It has NOTHING to do with size, since there exist thinner device with rechargable battery.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT 5-6 HOURS OF TALKTIME? I THINK IF YOU JUST USE IT AS A PDA WITH THE PHONE OFF IT MUST LAST A MONTH BETWEEN CHARGES. IF YOU ARE A HEAVY WRAPPER I THINK THEY WILL HAVE EXTERNAL SLED BATTERIES. OH YEAH, YOU CAN RECHARGE IT WHILE YOU SLEEP?

excuse, excuse. Tungsten|T which uses the exact same CPU with 900mAh lasted 4 hrs continuously. So a rough back envelope calculation will tell treo PDA capability will last about 8hrs without the phone capability. 5-6hrs continuous operational time as smartphone is total BS.

treo 600 battery performance is a valid concern.

----------------------

DO YOU KNOW THIS TO BE A FACT? AND WHEN YOU SAY NOT UPGRADABLE I HAVE TO ASK, TO WHAT? DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE 600 IS RUNNING ON TOP OF THE 5.0 KERNAL IT IS STILL A SHELL. I THINK TO A LARGE EXTENT UPRADING THE 600 IN THE FUTURE WOULD BE LIKE TAKING YOUR CAR INTO THE SHOP AND SAYING, "I WANT THIS BAY BOY TO BE FASTER AND HANDLE BETTER. CAN YOU DROP A NEW ENGINE, TRANSMISSION AND SUSPENSION."

ENJOY THE 600 UNTIL SOMETHING BETTER COMES OUT WHICH WILL HOPEFULLY BE SOONER THAN LATER. AT THAT POINT SELL THE 600 ON EBAY AND RECOUP THE MAJORITY OF YOUR INITIAL INVESTMENT. THE REASON WHY WE ARE IN THIS FORUM HAVING THIS DISCUSSION IS BECAUSE WE ARE ALL ON THE CUTTING EDGE, NOT THE DULL EDGE.

OS 6.0 is rumored to be released early next year, or about 6 months after the release of Treo 600. This is a very valid question. Why would anybody want to buy an expensive phone and commit for long term contract knwing the OS will not be the latest in very short time. But then again treo 600 is already obsolete before it's getting released, so who care if it's a little obsolete or very obsolete.

------------------------

I UNDERSTAND BUT RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE. THE ONBOARD CAMERA IS NOT ABOUT TRYING TO BE THE NEXT ANSEL ADAMS. IT IS A SPYCAM OR PARTYCAM. FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE IT IS GREAT!

..oh.. a designer that claims good picture is not the issue. it's just a novelty item. Hey could it be that the entire device is just that? It might not be the serious next generation smartphone HS claims but just a party smartphone.

better not charging buyer serious money for a party toy, specially when the other guy offers the same toy with more fun and half the price.

-------------------
    3. No bluetooth (yet).

BLUETOOTH IS A POWER HOG THAT IS VERY COMPLEX FOR THE AVERAGE BEAR TO USE TODAY. I THINK WE WILL SEE IT IN FUTURE VERSIONS.

h2210, a full featured PDA with 900mAh battery can operate 5 hrs with BT on.

Asus AGP 600 come with BT, and already being released in Taiwan. Almost all of top selling high end european cell phone has BT.

They seems to operate no problem and last LONGER than the advertised operating time of treo 600.

You are not spinning some marketing BS for HS to cover treo 600 shortcoming are you?

mmm...

How about running the product through the pace and publish benchmarks instead of telling us warm and fuzzy stories with halcyon on Sunday afternoon.
    Purple, how did this topic go from the "negatives of the 600" to the "negatives of JakeE"?
  18. PHO
    battery -

I use 5000 minutes a month on the phone, not including internet adn PDA time. I easily go through both of the i330 batteries a day.

The internet HOGS battery to no end (at least it does in teh samsung models.

So, yes, for some its an issue, an no i am not near an outlet or a car charger to fix it. I'm on the go moving from office to office in the capitol lobbying.

Anybody hear me on the 128 bit mp3s? is there some reason we think it cna't handle more?
    Hmm, Possible Treo Convert?
    Originally posted by purpleX

everything IS no more than a bridge to the future. No gadget lasts forever. The question to ask is if we are talking about a comfy engineered marathon sneaker, or an overpriced faddish running sneaker that can't even be used for running without giving you blister.

The real reason Handspring chose not to use replaceable battery is because it's VERY expensive to make in small quantity. They require customizable chasis and extra safety circuitry. It has NOTHING to do with size, since there exist thinner device with rechargable battery.

--------
    Real reason? What's your basis for this? Do the thinner phones offer the functionality as well as 6 hour talk time? If they don't then it not even comprable. If they are more expensive as you say, that's a fair trade off, because if the phone costs $800 to buy they won't sell enough to make it worth their while.
    -------

excuse, excuse. Tungsten|T which uses the exact same CPU with 900mAh lasted 4 hrs continuously. So a rough back envelope calculation will tell treo PDA capability will last about 8hrs without the phone capability. 5-6hrs continuous operational time as smartphone is total BS.

treo 600 battery performance is a valid concern.

------------
    I can't imagine they vary too far from the 6 hours they claim. I know the Treo 300 is pretty much what they claimed, and every independant review (cnet.com, etc) claimed that it made due on it's promises with battery power. So basically we have a reason to believe Handspring. It also makes sense in comparison with the battery in the Treo 300.

------------

----------------------

OS 6.0 is rumored to be released early next year, or about 6 months after the release of Treo 600. This is a very valid question. Why would anybody want to buy an expensive phone and commit for long term contract knwing the OS will not be the latest in very short time. But then again treo 600 is already obsolete before it's getting released, so who care if it's a little obsolete or very obsolete.

------------------------
    Then I guess I can't buy any Palm device now. At some point you have to make a stand and pick up something. Most of the people getting a smart phone based on the palm OS don't have a choice of 6.0 and don't currently have 5+, so this is an upgrade of nearly all around. It will be at least before you see a smart phone will OS 6 (I don't think any are even announced), so OS 5 is not obsolete.
    ------------------------

------------------------

..oh.. a designer that claims good picture is not the issue. it's just a novelty item. Hey could it be that the entire device is just that? It might not be the serious next generation smartphone HS claims but just a party smartphone.

better not charging buyer serious money for a party toy, specially when the other guy offers the same toy with more fun and half the price.

--------------------------
    I don't know of a phone with a better camera, let alone one with a flash. For me, the camera is an extra feature, a bonus. If someone gives you $5, do you complain that it's not $10 -- that's how I look at it. The whole device being a party novelty is wrong -- if it were it would have a top screeen and multimedia capabilities.
    --------------------------

-------------------
    3. No bluetooth (yet).

h2210, a full featured PDA with 900mAh battery can operate 5 hrs with BT on.

Asus AGP 600 come with BT, and already being released in Taiwan. Almost all of top selling high end european cell phone has BT.

They seems to operate no problem and last LONGER than the advertised operating time of treo 600.

These are smartphones that run on the Palm OS? If they don't run on Palm then the software available for them is suspect. Even more importantly, I don't know anyone with a BT device, so what would I do with Bluetooth? I mean, seriously, what does BT do for me? I'll give you the wireless headsets are kind of cool, but way overpriced for what they are. If Bluetooth becomes important to me, I am at least assured that's possible and probable that I can add it (remember that it's a "strong possibility" that BT comes on some versions of the Treo 600).

You are not spinning some marketing BS for HS to cover treo 600 shortcoming are you?

mmm...

How about running the product through the pace and publish benchmarks instead of telling us warm and fuzzy stories with halcyon on Sunday afternoon.
    My only beef is that antenna... it's huge! Someone already posted about the fact that other phone manufacturers get by with an internal antenna.

Maybe it's so the 600 doesn't get mistaken for a Palm organiser... who knows but it smells... something's up.
    www.gsmworld.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast