Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Furthermore

For handspring, the market share is more important. So they decide to design a mainstream model rather than a cutting-edge one. They need to sell a large amount to survive in the phone market.

I bet they have better model ready now, including hi-res screen and built-in BT. But these models won't hit the market until the carriers sell out their first order. Whether or not the cutting-edge model will hit the market, depends on how many main-stream one sells. If they sell a lot, treo will split into a product line. If not, nothing will take place.

Originally posted by purpleX

Well mister technology.

there is such thing as incorporating cutting edge technology as oppose to just "do the best".

All big players are going gaga trying to put the best screen, size, resolution, latest tech screen, they bent backward trying to fit things like VGA, OLED, screen etc..

and this supposedly "advance" smartphone" is using a 160x160 STN screen? .......... come onnn...... isn't it a bit retro?

do you actually believe that is the best they can do?

-------------
    Ok, here is a phone with QVGA screen on a wireless phone. (and space time continuum doesn't rapture like Handspring claim.)
    http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/artic...top/14517.html
    Further and further and more and more,

The PDA/Phone manufacturers needn't to understand display technologies. They just evaluate the possible displays from different LCD manufacturers. Balance the performance and cost in their design. Neither palm/handspring, nor Microsoft/HP/DELL need to understand or do research on LCD technologies. SONY/Toshiba/NEC/Sharp has their LCD sections.

Well mister technology.

there is such thing as incorporating cutting edge technology as oppose to just "do the best".

All big players are going gaga trying to put the best screen, size, resolution, latest tech screen, they bent backward trying to fit things like VGA, OLED, screen etc..

and this supposedly "advance" smartphone" is using a 160x160 STN screen? .......... come onnn...... isn't it a bit retro?

do you actually believe that is the best they can do?

-------------
    Ok, here is a phone with QVGA screen on a wireless phone. (and space time continuum doesn't rapture like Handspring claim.)
    http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/cda/artic...top/14517.html
  3. purpleX
    Originally posted by UGlee
    If multimedia apps is more important for you, go Samsung i500/700. But more Treo guys is not interested with such apps. They prefer a longer surf time.

a simple comparison:

samsung sgh i500:
    samsung sgh i700:1100mAH
    Treo 600:1800mAH
    what are you trying to say? 160x160 is the ideal screen for surfing the web compared to i700 despite screen size and battery options?

How about reading maps, looking at spreadsheet, map, reading ebooks, or any other basic doc/text functions?

Treo price is currently rumored at $500, that is full featured high end phone, so naturally people will compare it Nokia or Microsoft offerings in the same price range. It's not cheap.

Further and further and more and more,

The PDA/Phone manufacturers needn't to understand display technologies. They just evaluate the possible displays from different LCD manufacturers. Balance the performance and cost in their design. Neither palm/handspring, nor Microsoft/HP/DELL need to understand or do research on LCD technologies. SONY/Toshiba/NEC/Sharp has their LCD sections.
    Customer doesn't want to know technology either. They want to know why is this supposedly expensive advance smartphone has a display that looks like disposable organizer.

photo
    http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2...18/pda1904.jpg
    For surfing, 160x160 is not good, just enough. And we pda geeks should know that only pda-optimized website is acceptable on a PDA screen, say pdaportal.us. I occasionally surf web on my Visor. It's not good experience, but its enough for information retrieval.

spreadsheet is not everybody's need. Only a few workhorse need this feature. For map apps, treo sucks. For ebook, 160x160 has the same display page with a hi-res one. The only difference is the font quality. But considering the dot pitch is .266 (same as 13.3 LCD @ 1024x768), it seems to be acceptable.

We geeks may expects a lot for a gadget. But for common phone users, the most revolutionary improvement for Treo 600 is neither fast CPU or tons of PDA software. It's form factor and single-hand operation. And IM is a major plus. PIM is a minor plus. Web is a minor minor plus. And other pda apps should be considered neglectable for most phone users.

what are you trying to say? 160x160 is the ideal screen for surfing the web compared to i700 despite screen size and battery options?

How about reading maps, looking at spreadsheet, map, reading ebooks, or any other basic doc/text functions?

Treo price is currently rumored at $500, that is full featured high end phone, so naturally people will compare it Nokia or Microsoft offerings in the same price range. It's not cheap.

Customer doesn't want to know technology either. They want to know why is this supposedly expensive advance smartphone has a display that looks like disposable organizer.

photo
    http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2...18/pda1904.jpg
  5. purpleX
    Originally posted by UGlee
    For surfing, 160x160 is not good, just enough. And we pda geeks should know that only pda-optimized website is acceptable on a PDA screen, say pdaportal.us. I occasionally surf web on my Visor. It's not good experience, but its enough for information retrieval.

spreadsheet is not everybody's need. Only a few workhorse need this feature. For map apps, treo sucks. For ebook, 160x160 has the same display page with a hi-res one. The only difference is the font quality. But considering the dot pitch is .266 (same as 13.3 LCD @ 1024x768), it seems to be acceptable.

We geeks may expects a lot for a gadget. But for common phone users, the most revolutionary improvement for Treo 600 is neither fast CPU or tons of PDA software. It's form factor and single-hand operation. And IM is a major plus. PIM is a minor plus. Web is a minor minor plus. And other pda apps should be considered neglectable for most phone users.
    dot pitch .266 maybe good enough for LCD, but nobody reads their LCD 12-15 inch from their eyes. That's why even the .24 QVGA screen in PPC gets a bad rap.

also notice how you start posting "not good but its enough", "spreadsheet is not everybody's need", etc... That is a very troubling review for a device that supposedly able to replace PDA.

now from 'regular joe' persepective, it's even worst. They don't want to know what's the technolgical trade off, All they want to know is why is this $500+ gadget makes their photo looks like crap, and it can't even play half decent movie. That is a big issues, considering game and multimedia comes very high in wish list after PIM, email, web connection.

It's simple really: which ever PDA you can sell with a simple pitch and the user just get it and marvel over the device wins.

And that means eye candy....which is what good screen is about.

Good luck explaining 160by160 is perfect solution for datebk 5.0 to a buyer, when the competitor doesn't have to say anything except showing automatic Flash presentation with Spiderman leaping back and forth on the screen.

It's consumer electronic. The guy with the right price, loaded spec, snazzy presentation and raw capability wins.

That's why Sony chews up Handspring in 3 quarters, and that is why Orange chews up treo in one quarter.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    DONT FEED THE TROLL!
  7. PHO
    I can't believe you guys are wasting this time on each other.

Here's my contribution to this debate -

Mine is Bigger than yours! So there!
    Hmm, Possible Treo Convert?
    And here's my contribution to this thread.

Well done, purple-whomever - you've managed to get some of the more overt fauning (sp?) TREO fanatics to actualll start critiquing the next TREO in an honest manner.

THAT's what makes a good message board.
    UGlee: I agree with everything you say!!! I actually enjoyed reading all of your responses to RacerX, I mean PurpleX, or was that Baghdad Bob?

I noticed that many people in the forum have complained about feeding the PurpleX troll. If you think about it as SeldomVisitor profoundly pointed out that she/he/it has actually fed us.

A wise man once observed: "He that wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skills. Our antagonist is our helper."

I actually feel bad for the troll because it has not said one single kind thing to anybody. Obviously the troll is projecting its terrible autobiography onto everybody it the forum, and actually telling people to "shut up"????? I asked the troll if there was one thing I said that it agreed with? It refused to respond. I asked it if it ever owned any Palm or PPC PDA. It refused to answer? Curious?

Anyway, the Treo 600 represents a dawning of a new era in the digital future. I keep thinking back to my first days with PCs where I would always say, "What can it do?" and then being disappointed. Then a few years ago with the internet and large LCDs computers got cool. Also Laptops promised to give us more freedom because you could take your computer with you...but at a high price...having to lug around an eight pound brick. Then PDAs but they really did not do that much cool stuff.

As I just mentioned a new era is soon upon us…an era where we can have our cake and eat it…an era where we can do all these valuable and fun things with something that fits easily into our pocketbooks, pockets and hands.

Cheers!!!
    Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123