1.    #1  
    Newbie question...

The Handspring website indicates that all I have to do to switch my current ATT GSM service from my T68i to a Treo 270 is to swap the SIM card.

Is it really this easy?
    If the 270 you get is unlocked, it shold be that easy.

One of the benefits of gsm.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  

I thought it might have to do with getting an unlocked phone. How do I know if it will arrive unlocked? There's no mention of this on the Handspring web site and ATT is notorious for not shipping unlocked phones.
    Last edited by MikePA; 07/03/2003 at 09:44 AM.
    Originally posted by MikePA

I thought it might have to do with getting an unlocked phone. How do I know if it will arrive unlocked? There's no mention of this on the Handspring web site and ATT is notorious for not shipping unlocked phones.
    You just stick the card in and if you dont get an error, you should be fine.

If you get it directly from Att or Handspring, you should be fine.

I have read a couple of cases where Handspring sent the wrong carrier phone to a person, b ut they just replaced the phone.
    Felipe
  5.    #5  
    Well, I wont be replacing my T68i.

After finally getting through to Handspring, I've discovered that while I can just move the SIM card and use my existing ATT GSM/GPRS plan, I have to pay full price for the 270, i.e., $699. That ain't gonna happen.

How do people who switch phones every 8 months do this? Pay full price each time?
    Last edited by MikePA; 07/10/2003 at 05:46 AM.
    Originally posted by MikePA
    Well, I wont be replacing my T68i.

After finally getting through to Handspring, I've discovered that while I can just move the SIM card and use my existing ATT GSM/GPRS plan, I have to pay full price for the 270, i.e., $699. That ain't gonna happen.

How do people who switch phones every 8 months do this? Pay full price each time?
    get unlocked phones from ebay.
    Felipe
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by Felipe

get unlocked phones from ebay.
    I looked. So far, the only ones I found are tied to a carrier.
    I just came across this thread and I'm in the EXACT same boat. I've been trying to switch over to a Treo 270 from a T68i on AT&T Wireless GSM/GPRS network.

I've checked into Treos on eBay and they are all for T-Mobile branded phones and would have to be unlocked. Further, what wasn't mentioned, is that HS and some other providers want to charge a $36 activation fee on top of everything else.

I can't believe that both HS and AT&T are doing such a GREAT JOB of alienating customers.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by HandinHand
    I've checked into Treos on eBay and they are all for T-Mobile branded phones and would have to be unlocked. Further, what wasn't mentioned, is that HS and some other providers want to charge a $36 activation fee on top of everything else.
    I've been watching ebay, and unlocked Treo 270s do appear every few days. Most go for between $250 - $350 USD.
    That's still too much for a phone that will be replaced in about 2-3 months and will sell for maybe $100 if that on ebay at that time. I remember paying full price for a visor phone and 6 months later they were giving them away free!

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by Nautilus Man
    That's still too much for a phone that will be replaced in about 2-3 months and will sell for maybe $100 if that on ebay at that time.
    I agree. That's why I'm not buying one. I'll wait for the Treo 600.