Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    While I'll upgrade from the Treo 300 to the Treo 600, I wanted to know if there will be a GPS for the Treo 600 with voice commands...

Or should I get the Garmin with the built in GPS as well as the Treo
    While it may be technically possible to what you want with triangulation and software, I doubt you'll see that anytime soon with the Treo. More than likely you'll need to purchase some other hardware.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    but is it doable...will it work...will it compare to a dedicated Garmin devoted unit...
    Originally posted by mgauss
    but is it doable...will it work...will it compare to a dedicated Garmin devoted unit...
    Absolutely, absolutely and yes. You probably won't see anything for another 9-12 months though.
    Doable is usually the case, but in this one you'd need Sprint to turn on/create some GPS naviation, which we don't know if they are doing. Then they'd have to publish the APIs and such for it to get the software maps to read it. Finally the software would have to be advanced enough to use the speakers.

It's a pretty tall order as it seems like it requires lots of components to talk together.
    We had a little discussion about this in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...5&pagenumber=2

Basically, others here are right considering the feasibility of this technology. However, its uncertian when if ever Sprint will launch their location based services...perhaps l2004 or later, but who knows...
    It's more likely that someone would come out with an SDIO GPS receiver, and write a little software package to go along with it.
    That 'somebody' is Socket Communications. These guys are amazing. In development, a SDIO bluetooth card and a bluetooth GPS module about 2"square to go on the dash. Saw it on a TechTV interview.

http://www.socketcom.com/about/press/read.asp?ID=82
    It says those devices are for pocket pc. I wonder if it will make a difference though, since the card itself is bluetooth. That would make one think that the company could write two different softwares for the same device, so that it could operate on Pocket PC and Palm OS.

In any case, nothing is actually out yet, so until then, its all speculation as usual.