1.    #1  
    So, does anyone know whether the Treo will utilize the 2.0 USB standard?

It would sure speed up transferring all those large files that will be stored on the SD card! :-)
  2. PHO
    Originally posted by tcc

It would sure speed up transferring all those large files that will be stored on the SD card! :-)
    if not, and probably recomended anyway to get a 2.0 card reader
    Hmm, Possible Treo Convert?
    Originally posted by tcc

Probably not, but if Handspring made an attempt to have the bus-speed actually meet it's potential, I don't think anyone would be complaining *too* much about transfer speeds. Now, granted, USB on it's own is not terribly quick, but it'd be a lot better than the half-assed transfer speeds we get with most current-day handhelds. I hope they've looked into this one, myself!
    Having used a Clie NX70 for a while I can report that hotsyncing with OS5 is significantly faster than anything previous. Maybe not USB 2.0 speeds, but I was impressed the first time I transfered some large jpegs to a memory stick. It's probably the first thing you notice when you jump to OS5. I first thought it didn't happen correctly it was so fast.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    See this article:

Slashdot | USB 1.1 Renumbered to USB 2?

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...thread&tid=137

Essentially, "USB 2 Full-Speed" is what used to be known as USB 1.1, and "USB 2 Hi-Speed" is the former USB 2.0

Just trying to toss a bit of confusion into the mix.
    -Rusty
    Blackjack, Tilt; Treo 90, 270-680; Palm Vx, i705, T|T3, iQue 3200; Nokia N800, E71
    Originally posted by tcc

As far as I remember, No.

The USB is controlled by the ARM CPU. If you check the specs of the ARM CPU, it says it handles USB1.1. I'm too lazy to go search for the CPU specs again, but you can easily verify this.
    Would this be processor dependant? There are a number of peripherals with chips far less advanced than the ARM, like my CD writer. In fact, I'm not sure my CD writer doesn't have a CPU (at least in the usual sense of a CPU being the brains of a computer) at all in it.
    Here's a quote from the OMAP310 data sheet (which is linked to in the front page treocentral article).

USB1.1 host interface with up to 3 ports
    USB1.1 function interface
    One integrated USB transceiver for either host or function
    Thus, it will not suport USB 2.0. However, I am extremely interested if some develper will eventually make use of the USB host feature! For example, connecting the treo600 directly to usb printer woudl be very cool!
    In such new products, one would expect to see the new Mobile USB abilities as defined by USB org., so it could serve as both Client as well as Server.

Remark added 08/07/03 16:00 -
    I was refering to the new standard called USB-On-The-Go which is available since 2001.
    Last edited by halperin; 07/08/2003 at 07:57 AM.
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    Would this be processor dependant? There are a number of peripherals with chips far less advanced than the ARM, like my CD writer. In fact, I'm not sure my CD writer doesn't have a CPU (at least in the usual sense of a CPU being the brains of a computer) at all in it.
    No, this is not really "processor dependant". You could use any processor and add an extra chip just to handle USB 2.0. But given that people like to cut cost in designs (as evident in the LOW RES SCREEN!) I would say it's highly unlikely that they would do that. Actually, your CD writer has a simple CPU. Almost all devices have a small processor to "control itself".