1.    #1  
    I have a question for the more experienced users of this forum.

For those of you familiar with the different classes of GPRS phones and cell network protocol in general, what do you think the data rates will be for the Treo 600 on GSM vs. CDMA?

The reason I ask is that my main reason for being with sprint right now is that using the Treo as my isp with palmnet, I get terrific connections to the internet, and download speeds about 3 times faster than dialup. This service has essentially eliminated the need for me to continue my old DSL service.

When the 600 comes out, I will more than likely upgrade (might hold out for the Bluetooth version, though, but I am not at all inclined to stay with Sprint. At the time, unlimited data for 10/mo. was a great deal, but if T-mobile can beat them and data access rates are essentially the same, I'll jump ship in a heart beat!
    Handspring is learning to be more modular with their smartphones.

We already "know" (sort of) that the TREO 600 probably will come out in both GSM and CDMA form.

Handspring issued a 10Q or 10 K (that I've mentioned WAY too many times on both TreoCentral and elsewhere!) that had as an addendum an editted contract with Airprime - Handspring's radio module supplier.

That contract did not describe the radio modules Handspring was buying (for development) and that were scheduled to be delivered earlier this year, but it DID name them.

To THIS radio-almost-naive reader the name of at least a couple of the modules could (strongly) imply high-speed data.

Verizon has already tested high-speed data in Washington DC and I think San DIego, at least, and Cingular has just put out a PRPRPR-$fluff$ $mentioning$ $they$, $too$, $are$ $going$ $to$ $implement$ $a$ $high$-$speed$ $data$ $network$ $that$ $is$ $downward$-$compatible$ $with$ $GSM$.

====

I think that's enough tidbits to get some good speculation going!
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Are you using the Treo as your ISP for just the phone, or for your laptop as well? Because if you're using it with your laptop, Sprint will come after you.

My impression is, Sprint has a pretty big lead on other carriers, both in coverage and in speed. You will be able to get data service from any carrier, now or in the near future, in some locations. My impression is, GPRS service is slower than Sprint's data service, no matter which GSM carrier you're talking about.
    Originally posted by ardint
    I have a question for the more experienced users of this forum.

For those of you familiar with the different classes of GPRS phones and cell network protocol in general, what do you think the data rates will be for the Treo 600 on GSM vs. CDMA?

The reason I ask is that my main reason for being with sprint right now is that using the Treo as my isp with palmnet, I get terrific connections to the internet, and download speeds about 3 times faster than dialup. This service has essentially eliminated the need for me to continue my old DSL service.

When the 600 comes out, I will more than likely upgrade (might hold out for the Bluetooth version, though, but I am not at all inclined to stay with Sprint. At the time, unlimited data for 10/mo. was a great deal, but if T-mobile can beat them and data access rates are essentially the same, I'll jump ship in a heart beat!
    For the immediate future, CDMA/1xRTT networks will be faster than their GSM/GPRS counterparts. As you described, Sprint's Vision network is quite speedy. GPRS from ATT/TMOBILE/Cingular will only give you speeds of something around 56k, likely slower. So to answer your question, Sprint's CDMA/1xRTT network is the fastest around right now and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Verizon is rolling out an EV-DO network sometime this summer but it will only be in a few select areas and the Treo 600 will not be compatible with it.

I would be careful about using your Treo 300 as a wireless modem for your primary ISP needs. That is a violation of Sprint's rules and Sprint does have the capability to track your data useage. There have been reports here of people getting very large, unwelcomed charges on their bills for extensively using their Treo 300 in the same manner you are so just watch out. Occasional useage is fine but using it as your primary ISP could cause trouble not too far down the road.
    I think Sprint's data network is excellent, and has only improved from the initial launch last year. It is one of the biggest reason I continue to use Sprint and really don't want to even consider another carrier. It certainly is not their "customer care". But that is another thread.

Sprint has been tracking usage. I often check my email on my i300 using a POP3 client (Eudora). I also have a Vision data card for my laptop. Every month when the bill arrives, I notice I am charge on my i300 number, an additional charge for wireless web minutes, even though I have the $5 option for wireless web. (remember the i300 is not a vision phone). When I call (every month) to get a credit, they always tell me I am using my phone as a wireless modem for a laptop, and that is why I am charged extra for the minutes. When I explain that I HAVE a vision card for my laptop, they always issue a credit, but, they ARE watching. Check those bills carefully.
    Carl
    I also would not presume that T-Mob will carry the 600 right away. It seems that here in the US, Sprint is the only carrier that has been heavily touted as planning to carry the 600. I could b wrong, but I've heard no mention about T-Mobile's plans. It would certainly make sense that they'd carry the GSM version, but you never know - I would imagine that you'd see Orange or someone similar release the GSM 600 before any US carriers do...
    Originally posted by nrosser
    I also would not presume that T-Mob will carry the 600 right away. It seems that here in the US, Sprint is the only carrier that has been heavily touted as planning to carry the 600. I could b wrong, but I've heard no mention about T-Mobile's plans. It would certainly make sense that they'd carry the GSM version, but you never know - I would imagine that you'd see Orange or someone similar release the GSM 600 before any US carriers do...
    If I'm not mistaken, T-Mobile just stated last week that they have no plans to carry the Treo 600 at this time, despite the promo models going around that are running on their network. So I do agree with your assesment that Orange will probably be the first to market with the GSM version, while Sprint should probably be first here in the 'States!