1.    #1  
    Hey, so I have a new (to me) Treo 300 (firmware rev 1.02) and I'm really loving it. But as it turns out, I have lots of questions! Most of them seem to me to be software related and I hope some of you will be willing to help me understand more about my 300.

My first questions deal with setting up custom ringtones. Is there any way to bypass the necessity for a ringtone application to use custom ringtones on the 300? Are polyphonic ringtones basically midi files with a different file extension? If they are NOT technically midi files, is there some way to convert midi files to ringtones?

Secondly; I recently downloaded a game that says it requires Palm OS 5.02. How does one check one's version of Palm OS? Is it possible to upgrade or update the OS version currently on my 300?

Thirdly; as it is new I'm still currently using the Blazer browser. I don't use the 300 for surfing the 'net that much, and I haven't run into any problems. But I'm concerned that it the browser doesn't have any sort of "disconnect" or "log-off" feature. It's my understanding that charges only apply if I'm actually downloading information from the internet. Is this correct? If it is would it still be a good idea to find some way to log-off?

Thanks in advance for your time and help. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!
    "Let's perform the drop test first."
    Originally posted by DethEngine
    Hey, so I have a new (to me) Treo 300 (firmware rev 1.02) and I'm really loving it. But as it turns out, I have lots of questions! Most of them seem to me to be software related and I hope some of you will be willing to help me understand more about my 300.

My first questions deal with setting up custom ringtones. Is there any way to bypass the necessity for a ringtone application to use custom ringtones on the 300? Are polyphonic ringtones basically midi files with a different file extension? If they are NOT technically midi files, is there some way to convert midi files to ringtones?

Secondly; I recently downloaded a game that says it requires Palm OS 5.02. How does one check one's version of Palm OS? Is it possible to upgrade or update the OS version currently on my 300?

Thirdly; as it is new I'm still currently using the Blazer browser. I don't use the 300 for surfing the 'net that much, and I haven't run into any problems. But I'm concerned that it the browser doesn't have any sort of "disconnect" or "log-off" feature. It's my understanding that charges only apply if I'm actually downloading information from the internet. Is this correct? If it is would it still be a good idea to find some way to log-off?

Thanks in advance for your time and help. I'm sure I'll have more questions soon!
    For your first question, you need a ringtone manager to use custom ringtones on the Treo 300. Without one you can't assign ringers that aren't preloaded. The Treo 300 does use midi files for ringtones. They are packaged as Palm Database files and given a .pdb extension. To import custom ringtones from your computer, you would need a program or script to package the midis for you to transfer them so the Treo can read them. Once you do that, you can sync up, then use a ringtone manager to assign the new ringers to a group or an individual.

Second, the Treo 300 comes with Palm OS 3.5.2. You can see this by going to the launcher, clicking the option botton or at the top of the screen, then info under app. You can't upgrade. Even if you could get a new version on there somehow, the CPU the Treo 300 has isn't powerful enough to run it properly. You're stuck with 3.5.2 until the Treo 600 comes out which will have 5.0 I believe.

Finally, when you want to log off of Vision from Blazer, simply press the option button or click at the top of the screen, then D or click on disconnect in the drop down menu. That will close your connection so you won't download any more data. Doing this will completely log you off of all Vision services, not just using Blazer.

Hope that helps.
    treocentral has a little javascript you can use to convert midi's to ringtones up to 10 in each PDB file. here is the link

http://www.treocentral.com/ringtones...0fun/index.php

keep in mind that midi's need to be 9 k or less, and under about 15-20 seconds otherwise there is a good chance you will have lockup or crashing problems when you try to use them, especially with ringo. tcringer will simply not use any file that is too large.

anvil studio is a shareware midi editor you can use to edit midi files. it has limitations in the shareware version but works fine as freeware for the size files you need for this. remember to save as midi type 0 for ringtones.

or you could just by aaron's ringtones at handango...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I have used this javascript to creat the PDB file. However, when I hotsync my treo...I can never find the song file. I have TCRinger, but the file never shows up there or anywhere ese... Can you help me to find the files?

Thanks
    Larinda
    when you open the 'manage' dialogue in tcringer, the individual tones should show up in the list. if they don't, might try re-installing tcringer and/or the tones.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by ctballroom
    I have used this javascript to creat the PDB file. However, when I hotsync my treo...I can never find the song file. I have TCRinger, but the file never shows up there or anywhere ese... Can you help me to find the files?

Thanks
    Larinda
    In TC Ringer, go into Manage mode. Have one side of the screen show Radio, and the other side MIDI Ring Tones. Highlight the midi you want to convert to a ringtone and press copy or move to send it to the radio. Once you do this, the Individuals section of TC Ringer as well as the Treo's built in ringer preferences should see the new ringtones and be able to use them.
    thanks for the direction...but it simply isnt there, in the midi section. I have been successfully using tcringer befoe, but never with a file like this one, only with bundles of ringers specifically for the treo. I guess mine isn't going to work with homemade ringers.
    thanks anyway