1.    #1  
    Yesterday I bought a new Treo. As I mentioned in the other thread that I started about the Rebate amounts (where I obsessed about not getting screwed by Sprint's rebate sytem), I bought a Treo last October, and got so frustrated that I cancelled my Sprint account and bought an AT&T phone.

Now my daughter needs a cell phone, so I've given her my current phone, and I want to try a PDA phone. I read through this site, and the current batch of problems aren't quite as bad as the problems many of us were having last fall just trying to get the data connection to work.

So here's the issue I'm faced with ...

I wrote an email to Sprint yesterday to get validation that they'd process my rebate. No reponse to the email. So tonight I called the main support number, and no one could answer my question. I looked at the rebate form, and there was an 800 number to call for questions, so I called them. However, in navigating through the automated call system, it reached a point that I was supposed to punch in the department number of the rebate, and every time I did that a bug in their phone system hung up on me. After a few times, I tried a different route through the system, and ultimately talked to a human being, who told me that I would receive the rebate. So, with that good news, I went to the Sprintpcs web site to activate my phone, except the activation website is very buggy, and midway through asks me for a pcs phone number and password that I don't have, so I can't complete the activation. Argh! So I guess I'm faced with calling some Sprint call center, waiting on hold, and then talking to some moron to get my phone turned on.

Here's my delimma. I'm spoiled by AT&T Wireless. It really works. I never have calls dropped, they're very clear, customer service is flawless. I'm scared to death of Sprint. They're systems never seem to work right, calls drop frequently, and they lack any sense of respectible customer service.

So, the question I'd ask is how bad is Sprint? Last fall I couldn't get email to work on the Treo, and their data rates sucked (about the same as a 9600K modem). Are things any better now, or am I headed for frustration? So far, they're not impressing me much...

Thanks for your honest feedback.
    I think you will be pleased with Sprint's service this time around.
    Compared to AT&T they are great. But seriously, the service is good, not perfect.
    "If it's new, I've got to have it."
    I have had the exact opposite experience. When the Treo came out I was worried about Sprint's coverage. I was an AT&T user for 5 years I had their tri band phone that would have service basically everywhere. (Now could you carry on a conversation with that service is a different story) I travel a lot to many little po-dunk towns. So many times I was using AT&T's analog service. In my experience where Sprint has coverage it's almost always better than AT&T's. Now there have been two times in the last 8 months that I had no coverage in an area. (These places were in the middle of no where Iowa and Oklahoma)

So, I bought the Treo, got it hooked up. I have had no problem with support. In fact I never call support. (I called it to get the phone activated and once for a PRL update). I've spent no more than 1/2 hour on the phone with sprint.

Is Sprint's support better or worse than AT&T's? I don't know. I never call AT&T's support either. However people's expectation is greater than Sprint. AT&T doesn't really have a smartphone to support. (Their GSM service is only in a few markets and there are no TDMA smartphones) I think Sprint is figuring out that they do not have any palm experience and Handspring would provide better support.

As for Sprint vs AT&T's service. AT&T sucks hard in the Washington DC area. My wife still has it she constantly has dropped calls and no service.

Now she had a client about 3 hours north of Sacramento. She called me after leaving the airport and we talked 2 hours straight without dropping the call or even speech drops. In Washington you can't drive down 66 (a MAJOR route in DC) without 3 spots with call drops.

Also the call quality on Sprint is far better than AT&T in fact when I called my father in law he couldn't believe I was on a cell phone. He's used to talking to his daughter with crummy cell service. So, we are now waiting for a Verizon phone that supports bluetooth for her. I believe the Verizon's coverage is the best of the three. (In fact consumer reports backs this up). If the Treo 600 can be used with Verizon I would be very tempted to move over there.

As for data rates. It depends where you are: in Oakland, Ca I was getting really great throughput. I was in Ocean City, NJ this week and I was getting half the throughput that I was in Oakland. In the Dallas area I couldn't even connect. (I was only there a couple of hours) (This was using PDAnet) (I don't trust the internet bandwidth meters. So I just look at these things subjectivly)

As for other problems. e.g. Battery life reducing, etc. I have not noticed any decrease in battery life after the update. The only thing I've noticed is the volume is a little louder after the update.
    In Oct or Nov I had the Fatal Error issues. However I have had none since. I have had three blinks of death in the 8-10 months I've had the phone

As for email I use basejet. If you use Lotus Notes I would recommend that solution. I hear good things about snappermail for anything else.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by richlee91; 07/01/2003 at 09:56 AM.
    Dear mtemp,

I am a "long-time" SpintPCS user, 4-5 years. Most recently I have had a Kyocera 6035 Smartphone which I just upgraded to a Treo 300. The Treo 300 is awesome - I should have ugraded sooner!!!

I have had no "real" issue with SprintPCS. I live in Rochester NY, and for a few spots in the malls (where most cell phones don't work) and my employer (where no cell phones work well) I get very good service and clear phone calls.

The alternative is to get a Treo 270 on the AT&T network. Go to Handspring.com and take a look at the front page.

Best of luck,
    Dave Lindberg
    Originally posted by mtemp
    Yesterday I bought a new Treo. As I mentioned in the other thread that I started about the Rebate amounts (where I obsessed about not getting screwed by Sprint's rebate sytem), I bought a Treo last October, and got so frustrated that I cancelled my Sprint account and bought an AT&T phone.

Now my daughter needs a cell phone, so I've given her my current phone, and I want to try a PDA phone. I read through this site, and the current batch of problems aren't quite as bad as the problems many of us were having last fall just trying to get the data connection to work.

So here's the issue I'm faced with ...

I wrote an email to Sprint yesterday to get validation that they'd process my rebate. No reponse to the email. So tonight I called the main support number, and no one could answer my question. I looked at the rebate form, and there was an 800 number to call for questions, so I called them. However, in navigating through the automated call system, it reached a point that I was supposed to punch in the department number of the rebate, and every time I did that a bug in their phone system hung up on me. After a few times, I tried a different route through the system, and ultimately talked to a human being, who told me that I would receive the rebate. So, with that good news, I went to the Sprintpcs web site to activate my phone, except the activation website is very buggy, and midway through asks me for a pcs phone number and password that I don't have, so I can't complete the activation. Argh! So I guess I'm faced with calling some Sprint call center, waiting on hold, and then talking to some moron to get my phone turned on.

Here's my delimma. I'm spoiled by AT&T Wireless. It really works. I never have calls dropped, they're very clear, customer service is flawless. I'm scared to death of Sprint. They're systems never seem to work right, calls drop frequently, and they lack any sense of respectible customer service.

So, the question I'd ask is how bad is Sprint? Last fall I couldn't get email to work on the Treo, and their data rates sucked (about the same as a 9600K modem). Are things any better now, or am I headed for frustration? So far, they're not impressing me much...

_lr_ at yahoo.com
    Originally posted by mtemp

I've had sprint since it was sprint Spectrum and I am a cell phone junkie, I have current accounts with sprint, verizon (1xRTT data) and ATT GSM. The ATT GSM hard-handoff annoys me to no end and they have poor coverage in my office, so I will probably cancel. The reason I got ATT was that sprint had no coverage in my new house and I needed pda/phone. However, sprint recently improved their coverage around my house and I am back with them. There is no comparison with call quality _consistency_ on sprint. The GSM voice either sounds like a landline or warbles so badly you can't make anything out. Sprint works all the time at the same (slightly poorer than best gsm voice), but is consistent.

The data plans are no comparison either. UL vision on my treo 300 for $15 vs $99/ul GPRS w/ att.

As regarding customer service, I've had about equal luck with both (I almost always know more than the CS folks), but things like ESN swaps, changing plans etc have been flawless on sprint and the changing plans have also been flawless with ATT.

In short, the CDMA air interface for sprint wins me back to the fold, and I will be cancelling my ATT GSM account and paying the ETF penalty.

/v
    I have had AT&T and Cingular before I bought my Treo. Dropped calls galore and tons of dead zones in S. FL. And their cust service was terrible. Each time you had a problem ... the answer was buy a new phone and extend your contract.

It's amazing that my Treo w/Sprint never drops calls in the same areas that my fones w/the others. When I tried to get a Treo (before that a RIM) I was told by my carrier that they were unproven tech & wouldn't be available.

As to Sprint's service -- I have never had a problem. Got my T300 from HS, jumped on my cmptr and went to the SPCS web site. Entered my info (even got to pick my own fone #). Five mins later I was up and running.

My batt. wouldn't charge, so went to Sprint Store and they sent me a new phone -- got it the next am -- and they gave me airtime credits.

Then, dropped it and ran over it with a golf cart -- screen broke -- sort of cool colors, though. Funny thing ... the thing still worked ... could make & receive calls and get my alarms ... just couldn't see anything. So, back to the Sprint Store ... no problems, they said, covered under the warranty. Guess what ... next day had a new fone and an rma to send the old one back.

So for me -- great coverage and great service. The only advice I will give you is to check their (SPCS) site and check their plans ... sometimes they will put in some great offers ... I got 2000 anytime mins & unlimited access to Vision for $85 per month. Had to sign new 1 year contract, but was only 2 mos into the first one ... so, I didn't really care ...

Good luck & enjoy your Treo ... Tom
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    NMProfessional:
    I am a "long-time" SpintPCS user, 4-5 years. Most recently I have had a Kyocera 6035 Smartphone which I just upgraded to a Treo 300. The Treo 300 is awesome - I should have ugraded sooner!!!

That is so good to hear! I have been using the Kyo 6035 for about 2 years. Just ordered the 300 (actually got tired of waiting for the Samsung i500). I've been longing for a color phone.
    As far as Sprint's service, no problems.
    Can't wait to try the phone out!
    Steve M
    Steve M
    Catman51
    Happy with my T300
    Waiting for my T600