1.    #1  
    Has anyone heard if there will be a Treo 600 without a camera? I would love this phone, but if it has a camera, I can't bring it into work...all camera phones have been restricted.
    Thanks
    Chris
    No camera-free model has been announced. However, I hope they do come out with such models.

If they are truly catering to the corporate environment, I'm sure this concern has been made very clear to them. Let's hope they will come out with camera-free models.
    A hammer or drill should do the job.
    Wouldn't it be nice if the camera lense could just be unscrewed, or somehow popped out?
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I don't think it would work. You could be carrying the lens in your briefcase, and re-assemble it after you get past the guard.

There is the darndest dichotomy here. Combine a video camera with a phone and you have a mobile video conferencing capability, which would seem to be valuable to business. On the other hand, industrial espionage is a real problem, and a small camera hidden in a phone will be seen as a threat by many businesses.

If Handspring/Palm want many corporate buyers of the Treo 600, they will have to offer a model without a camera.
    Originally posted by Iceman6
    I don't think it would work. You could be carrying the lens in your briefcase, and re-assemble it after you get past the guard.

There is the darndest dichotomy here. Combine a video camera with a phone and you have a mobile video conferencing capability, which would seem to be valuable to business. On the other hand, industrial espionage is a real problem, and a small camera hidden in a phone will be seen as a threat by many businesses.

If Handspring/Palm want many corporate buyers of the Treo 600, they will have to offer a model without a camera.
    Yes, but that's true for attachable cameras too. If the camera lense could cleanly come out and say a rubber thing would cover it, I think it might be a viable solution. Otherwise, all phone models with available camera attachments should be banned.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Originally posted by silverado

Yes, but that's true for attachable cameras too. If the camera lense could cleanly come out and say a rubber thing would cover it, I think it might be a viable solution. Otherwise, all phone models with available camera attachments should be banned.
    The camera attachment is a lot more obvious. Assuming airport-style security gates, I think the guards at the front desk could be trained to detect camera attachments. If they didn't find it, and you tried to take a picture with one, it would be pretty obvious what you were doing.
    Originally posted by Iceman6

The camera attachment is a lot more obvious. Assuming airport-style security gates, I think the guards at the front desk could be trained to detect camera attachments. If they didn't find it, and you tried to take a picture with one, it would be pretty obvious what you were doing.
    I agree that guards should be trained to find camera attachments, but I seriously doubt that the average building security guard would be competent enough to find one. I also think with the lense hole appropriately covered (e.g., with something like the rubber cover below the antenna), your phone would either be seen as a non-camera phone or, if the guards know that it can have a camera, you would have a very strong case to ask them to prove that you are carrying the attachment.

Of course having a logically good case doesn't mean that it will fly.
    Last edited by silverado; 07/01/2003 at 08:27 AM.
    I can't help but think that anyone intent on photographing something could do so even without using a camera phone.
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    I can't help but think that anyone intent on photographing something could do so even without using a camera phone.
    This is true, but new technology take time to be accepted. I work for a Navy contractor and camera phones are prohibited, and if found on you will be taken and destroyed. Radios where illegal until about 5-7 years ago cell phones 4-5. Voice recording devices are still illegal, even though most PCs, PDAs and cell phones have this feature. The funny thing is we have a camera for ship checks that uses floppies, so taking photos at work would be easy. Also we have copying machines, CD burners, etc..., so if you to take information out it would be easy.

Jeff
    The problem with most installations and restrictions on recording devices is NOT "spying" but with inadvertant recording or transmitting of information that is not to be recorded or transmitted.

Spying on PURPOSE, such as recording something on a floppy and taking it off-premises, is covered quite well by other means - like throwin' yer can in jail!

====

There used to be a VERY popular toy - Furbee(? or something) - that had a microprocessor in it and some minimal programming. The toy could move it's eyes and mouth but, more importantly, it would "learn" to respond to what was said to it - it did so by doing some sort of rough recording of the voice, pattern match next time(s) around, then "talk" something similar.

The toy, VERY popular with office workers, was banned at the No Such Agency.
    In response to Handspring's latest e-newsletter touting the camera in the Treo, I sent an e-mail about the banning of camera phones by different companies. I received the following response:

We are aware of the security trend that some companies are implementing. As it stands the current design of the Treo 600 that has been release are what we intend to release. We appreciate the feedback and will keep it in mind for future models of the Treo 600.
    Oh well.

Geoffrey
    2 words - Duct Tape
    "Camera, what camera?"

-David
    Originally posted by davegk
    2 words - Duct Tape
    "Camera, what camera?"

-David
    Ice Pick
    "Oh, believe me, it don't work no more."