Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sux. About 60 minutes of talk time today with exactly 0 data usage has drained the battery to about 2/5 of its capacity remaining.

There may be a battery sled/brick in my future.

Bob Duckworth
    Originally posted by rduckwor
    Sux.
    This "support after the sale" is all being factored into my next decision. As much I like the next treo 600, not sure if they're capable of putting out something that doesn't have a major flaw like the 270's initial run of dead screens, 300's flimsy lid, and now 300's update battery killer.

The so called 3g web isn't very fast on the 300. I hardly use it anymore. At least with avantgo on my palm IIIe I knew I was going to get something to read fast so I'm leaning in several directions. Get a treo 600 on Sprint or Verizon i700 or go back to two devices and get a Tungsten C for pda'ing.
    David
    [i]
    The so called 3g web isn't very fast on the 300. I hardly use it anymore. [/B]

Wow, that's unfortunate to hear. My Treo 300 web browsing is incredible. I must say, I have compared my Treo to my husband's Kyocera 7135 (which, admittedly, has the slower connection) and it leaves his in the dust. Even he is astonished by the speed that web pages load for such a small device. I guess I am spoiled ... I now expect this and even better from Sprint. They truly have a tough act to follow.

But as far as I am concerned, I simply cannot live without my Treo and the unlimited Vision has spoiled me forever.
    Perhaps my expectations are too high. Connecting to Vision and loading the list of threads for this conference (mobile version) takes 1 min 5 seconds (and the page is only about 12k). Using the treo as a wireless modem for a laptop I agree is fast, so it is hoped that an 144mhz arm based OS5 device should show content faster than a 33mhz dragonball OS3.5 can. Switching away from blazer to contacts takes sometimes 10 seconds. Cycling through the screens of contacts is not as fast as it could be. I wonder if CompUSA would mind if I beamed handyshopper and main database over to the demo 400mhz Tungsten C to see if re-sorting is instant instead of the 5 seconds I get on the treo. 5 seconds isn't much unless one is frequently switching between stores, between all/need where sorts are done every time because I have seperate sorting techniques for each.
    David
    I have not seen decreased battery performance since the update.

However you are right the CPU on the Treo is hurtfully slow. I have a jfile database with 10000 records. With the Treo it takes 3 mins to search 75% of the database. Some people in my office have the Tungsten C with the same database and it takes less than a second. It's amazing!

I think the issue is when a person is just checking a few numbers or your calendar the old speed of the palm wasn't a big deal. Now we are doing tons of things with the palm and it's just not got enough power.
    Originally posted by richlee91
    I have not seen decreased battery performance since the update.

However you are right the CPU on the Treo is hurtfully slow. I have a jfile database with 10000 records. With the Treo it takes 3 mins to search 75% of the database. Some people in my office have the Tungsten C with the same database and it takes less than a second. It's amazing!

I think the issue is when a person is just checking a few numbers or your calendar the old speed of the palm wasn't a big deal. Now we are doing tons of things with the palm and it's just not got enough power.
    Based upon slowness of the CPU, I added the QuickBits and FastCPU applications to my Treo and have found a significant increase in throughput.
    Just did a little timed test. Phone at full charge...
    No data use
    Phone calls for 32 minutes
    battery at 62%

My wife noticed some serious battery usage yesterday (she got her Treo at the same time as me) both were updated. She is using PRL x18 and I have x19.

I don't recall it ever being that bad before the update. Either way as a relatively new Treo user I'm really dismayed at this battery life. I could use the Kyo 6035 for a long weekend and not have to worry about a recharge. It appears I can't depend on getting through a day with the Treo. I really wish I hadn't believed their 2.5 hour talk time advertising as it appears 1.5 hours might be the max. Unfortunately, I didn't really have a chance to measure this before the update so I can't say if that was the cause....I'll leave that up to you longtimers.

...ken
    Originally posted by drw
    This "support after the sale" is all being factored into my next decision. As much I like the next treo 600, not sure if they're capable of putting out something that doesn't have a major flaw like the 270's initial run of dead screens, 300's flimsy lid, and now 300's update battery killer.

You know, I agree with this wholeheartedly. After all this time and cases opened to Sprint, we still wind up with updated firmware that is flawed. And of course, only a fews months before the product is discontinued. I notice too that Sprint makes no mention of this update on their site. If you're not a subscriber to this newsgroup or you don't know to go stand in line at your neighborhood Sprint store, how would you find out about the update?

I would appreciate it if Handspring's new owners would quit referring Treo support issues to Sprint. They're going to have to support these devices themselves. And despite their insistance to the contrary, that's where the TreoUpdater wound up... on their site. Go figure.
    Originally posted by kschoenberg
    No data use
    battery at 62%

...ken
    Also remember that battery usage is not linear. All the 62% means is that the voltage has dropped to the 62% level. I go a whole weekend without a charge and doing light phone/data use. (I do have treohelper turn the phone off for about 6-7 hours at night. I don't want to get calls when I'm asleep anyway) I don't even have a charger at home and it's been about 5 months since I've gone to zero charge.
    Richlee...

Point taken about the battery gauge, but I think we would both agree the 3 Hour Talk time on the Sprint site (I just checked) is way overstated...or the update really screwed something up.

I use Treo Helper to discontinue net connections, etc. to prevent the turbo drain. I have fairly aggressive times for auto shutdown as well..and the phone sits on a cradle at night...I'm just concerned that the current battery life isn't going to be sufficient to make it through a full day (let alone a weekend) away from a charger.

Couple all this with the crack now forming on the hinge...and I'm not a real thrilled Treo user right now.

...ken
    Originally posted by kschoenberg
    No data use
    battery at 62%
    Maybe there is something to this updated firmware. I can't say for sure because my Treo 300's have always drained like crazy. I'm charging this thing 3 times a day and I hardly use it. It's embarrassing, and who knows what'll happen if I actually need to use it to make a phone call. Every time I go to use it, it is below 70% charge. Ridiculous!

We've got so many people here willing to help out with aggressively getting this thing fixed. It's really soured me on CDMA technology in general, and sad to say, I don't think I'll be buying a Sprint branded Treo 600. I've had good customer service with Sprint and I like my features and prices, but I keep reading so many accounts of stellar Treo 270 performance versus the Treo 300.

My coverage is poor at the house, though it is mostly a Treo phenomenon. The Sanyo 4900 sees excellent coverage in areas where the Treo 300 has no bars but just the antenna icon showing. I can make calls in all areas of the house with the Sanyo, but the Treo must be in certain orientations and in certain rooms. It's pathetic.

I also have a t-mobile sidekick with similar coverage issues. But you know what.. I have never had a problem with battery life on that thing, despite it continuously searching for a network and being in and out of coverage. The battery hardly seems to care that I'm using the wireless -- I've never even run it down in a day, always had plenty left when I charged it at night.

I've owned the Treo 300 since November, but I'm running into these issues now because I want to replace my landline with a cellular. I just don't see how I can do it with these coverage/battery performance problems. Why would the Treo 600 CDMA be any better?
    Update:

7/3/03: Full Charge...phone turned off (Palm as well). Turned it on...used it for 3 phone calls total usage rougly 1:10 and the phone was very hot and at 6%.
    Let it cool...battery came back to 8%.

It's too the point where I gotta get something else...this type of battery life is what I had with analog cell service back in 1993.
    I don't know if it's the updater that caused it to get worse or just really poor design...but Treo/Palm should be ashamed.

Since the hinge also broke I'll hopefully be getting a new Treo as soon as I get the chance to go to a Sprint store...if I don't get a new one...I guess you can read my next report on the Samsung board

...ken
    Something is wrong with that phone. I have the updated firmware and at first - I too thought the battery was gonna be an issue as the charge was going very fast. After I turned down the brightness - I get the usage I was getting prior to the update. In fact, I use the phone 10 times as much as when I got it in August. Truly amazing communicator. Sorry about the problems you are having with yours. I would take it to sprint and have them put it on the bench so you can get a replacement. Good luck.
    I just did a little test with mine. Full charge at 8AM, and I carried it around for most of the day without using it at all. At 6PM it was 56% charge. The phone was on but never made a voice call, or data connection, and at most 2 minutes of screen on time just during the times that I checked the level. It did receive approx 4 SMS but that's about it.

I'm charging it up again, and I'm going to leave it in a known coverage area for a few hours. I expect it will hold up pretty well without usage in that condition, as it likely had coverage issues while I carried it around.
    Potato:

have you upgraded yet?
    Potato:

have you upgraded yet?
    Yes, I did it the first day. The battery usage I reported is actually an overall improvement. With the older firmware there's no way it would have even survived a half-hour without RBOD or whatnot. Whereas now at least it is still available for usage, though network search apparently is effective in draining at a significant rate.

Keeping it on a shelf with coverage is yielding about the same drain as the old firmware. After 3 hours it has only gone from 4.12V to 4.08V. I expect it will remain >= 4V after 12 hours without usage, but not if I were to carry it around in the real world.

So if I were to buy a Sprint-branded Treo 600, what are the chances that it will have this faulty design? I won't take that chance. Someone is going to have to run some real world tests before I'll believe any Handspring/Sprint battery or talk-time claims.
    Yeah that's what I suspected. I think there was one user that said the battery life was reduced. Then there was the pyschological effect with other people jumping on. I was very suspectious of this when the information about battery life was coming out less than 24 hours from the release of the firmware.

I saw Sprint requested people having the RBOD to contact them. Did you sign up for that? I would think that they would be interested in what you've done to reduce the number of occurances with Treo Helper

Thanks for your work.
    I updated my Treo last night and everything went very well. I have had it off the charger since 9pm last night. I have made 2 phone calls totalling 10 mins and used a couple minu tes of data just to test it and my battery is still at 95%.

I'm not sure if this is it, but I noticed that it said to make sure the batter was fully charged prior to updating. Could this have been the problem with some of the battery drains? Just a thought.
    I saw Sprint requested people having the RBOD to contact them. Did you sign up for that? I would think that they would be interested in what you've done to reduce the number of occurances with Treo Helper
    Yes I signed up for it. I haven't heard from Sprint as of yet.

After 14 hours of sitting on my shelf with coverage, the battery was still 4.00V. That's the same as from when I measured before (old firmware, old device), or at least close enough that I don't care.

I know it's old news, but I just find it amazing that they would design a device which would run its battery down so quickly when there is low coverage. I can have it on one shelf and it lasts 14 hours @ 100%. On another shelf and its 56% after 6 hours.
    Yeah that's the MO for cell phones. With tri mode phones it's even worse because one of the modes is analog. When I was on AT&T and my cell would switch to analog mode I would get 12 hours of standby time (about 2 hours of talk time)

Cell phones have variable power options so when there is good coverage it utilizes less power. Now the new firmware may have increased the max output power of the transmitter. Which would result in better connections but in certain situations it would have lessened the battery life.

Rich
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast