1.    #1  
    I was all excited to get my new Holux GPS unit for my Treo 300, but when I got it, I realized that it was *only* for use in my car! Dopey me, but it was not clear that was the case from the advert. Anyway, I'd like to see if I could put something together to get it out of my car. Anybody got any clever ideas? I was thinking about trying to just hard wire a 9 volt battery to where the cig lighter connection is. Will that cause a small nuclear explosion, or perhaps actually work?

Thanks to anyone who has any thoughts on this.

Originally posted by Alex Mykat
    I was thinking about trying to just hard wire a 9 volt battery to where the cig lighter connection is. Will that cause a small nuclear explosion, or perhaps actually work?

Thanks to anyone who has any thoughts on this.

I'm afraid I don't understand? Doesn't the cable from the Holux GPS attach to the serial connector on the Treo? How would you then connect both power supply and the GPS unit?

BTW...there are various 9 volt emergency chargers for the treo like this one from Seidio or this from xpcgear.com
    Last edited by Gaurav; 07/07/2003 at 02:55 AM.
    Could you give us a review of the unit/combo? Specifically, is screen refresh/readability on the treo useable? I recently setup a garmin gps 72 for a friend and was dismayed that while points of interest show the nearest mac donalds, there are no streets. Also couldn't figure out how to delete waypoints.

Anyway, I'd like a good gps, a talkie even. Am debating between a handheld like the PalmOS5 Garmin iQue3600 or Street Pilot III
    David