1.    #1  
    I'm amazed at the depths that people will stoop to in this world. Now I would have never thought to do this with my Treo 600 (when I get one). I guess I don't have a criminal mind-set.

It's unfortunate that others do.

See: Japan grapples with digital shoplifting using mobiles

Does anyone think that these kinds of incidents are an obstacle to forward-thinking technology becoming more mainstream?

I do. I think some people don't realize the harm they do when they misuse technology.

I can just imagine what the technology pundits and naysayers will say about this. The next thing you know big business will be advocating the banning of camera cell phones in bookstores.

Truly sad.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget
    Does anyone think that these kinds of incidents are an obstacle to forward-thinking technology becoming more mainstream?
    I think they will be an obstacle. The human race always seems to find ALL uses for something, good and bad. Someone posted a site where people rate pictures of women's rear ends taken by camera phones.

I think with each such innovation that reaches popular use there will be the regular cycle that ends with legislation attempting to solve the problem. We have lucked out with legislation on the Internet so far, but I don't think this luck will always be there with each of the technologies. I can only hope that in cases like this the laws that come about be ones that penalize the offenders rather than disallowing or severely restricting the use of the technology in question.

This is pretty sad.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by silverado

... I can only hope that in cases like this the laws that come about be ones that penalize the offenders rather than disallowing or severely restricting the use of the technology in question.

This is pretty sad.
    Yes, that's my fear and is exactly what I was thinking. The legislators are often not very technically savvy, so rather than coming up with a solution that targets the guilty, they create a blanket policy that punishes everyone and stiffles progress.

Let's hope this doesn't happen.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.