1.    #1  
    After doing some testing in a location with no cellular signal coverage (basement of a secure building), here's what I've found out about the RBOD symptom after the Treo 300 firmware update.

The RBOD still happens, if you stay out of range long enough. For me that was over 30 minutes or so. The difference is that you can now restore service by toggling the Wireless Mode off and then back on. So at least you don't have to perform a soft reset.

The bad news is that after all the calls to Sprint by some of us, the problem still exists!
    Use Treo Helper. You can configure it to drop the connection after X minutes of no radio service. Perhaps that's why I haven't gotten a RBOD in months.
  3.    #3  
    Use Treo Helper. You can configure it to drop the connection after X minutes of no radio service. Perhaps that's why I haven't gotten a RBOD in months.

----------------------------------------

Been there, done that. TreoHelper conflicts with TreoAlertMgr. The real issue needs to be fixed by Sprint rather than patched by a piece of shareware.
    Originally posted by stuartr
    Been there, done that. TreoHelper conflicts with TreoAlertMgr. The real issue needs to be fixed by Sprint rather than patched by a piece of shareware.
    Remind me again about the conflict between TreoHelper and TreoAlertMgr. I re-read the long thread and I think it was about an SMS conflict, if you opt to use TreoHelper SMS tones then you can't use TreoAlertMgr because it relies on the SMS system-wide tone being enabled. Is that the conflict, or is there another?

----------------------------------------

I guess it's a trade-off then. You can either have your battery die on your unexpectedly or not have reoccuring SMS alerts (which ain't good for the battery as well). Of course it should be fixed, but in the mean time, simply resolve the bigger issue.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by potatoho

Remind me again about the conflict between TreoHelper and TreoAlertMgr. I re-read the long thread and I think it was about an SMS conflict, if you opt to use TreoHelper SMS tones then you can't use TreoAlertMgr because it relies on the SMS system-wide tone being enabled. Is that the conflict, or is there another?
    I'm just guessing that it's related to your SMS alerting feature in TreoHelper (which I didn't use BTW). All I know is that when TreoHelper is installed, TreoAlertMgr doesn't repeatedly alert (which is what it's for!). Otherwise, TreoHelper works good and I'd have kept it on except for the conflict.

As soon as I removed TreoHelper, TreoAlertMgr started working again so I can get pager-like repeating alerts for SMS-emails.
    I'm just guessing that it's related to your SMS alerting feature in TreoHelper (which I didn't use BTW). All I know is that when TreoHelper is installed, TreoAlertMgr doesn't repeatedly alert (which is what it's for!). Otherwise, TreoHelper works good and I'd have kept it on except for the conflict.

As soon as I removed TreoHelper, TreoAlertMgr started working again so I can get pager-like repeating alerts for SMS-emails.
    Oh ok. I guess I didn't catch that. Lemme see if I can find a trial version to test with. I've probably already said that before ugh, things can get soooo complicated.
  8.    #8  

Oh ok. I guess I didn't catch that. Lemme see if I can find a trial version to test with. I've probably already said that before ugh, things can get soooo complicated.
    Here 'ya go...

http://www.pdaapps.com/TreoAlertMgr/default.html
    Here 'ya go...

Yeah I already had it laying around here. Kinda deja vu because I think I was going to test it months ago.

On a brighter note, I'm having a type of RBOD right now. Yay! Well, it's the first one since my upgrade. Though it's sortof a weird one, a kind I've never had before. I went to turn off the phone (via holding the button) and it just gives me the Goodbye screen forever. No tone or anything either. I can then flip to other apps via the hard buttons. It's just kinda stuck where I can't turn off or on the phone.

Pin reset.. Agh! I didn't mean to do that. I was supposed to soft reset. Now I blew it. That was my test for RBOD, whether it would work after a soft reset. Oh well, until next time.
    Here 'ya go...

I couldn't find any problems. I tried it with the system-wide message tone on and off, and also with TreoHelper SMS Def tone on and off. The original tone was affected by those various settings, but subsequent tones came out with whatever tone I picked in TreoAlertMgr.

It was a little weird though, but I think its the way the app is designed. Seems to only do the subsequent tone when the device is powered off, and the tones don't turn the screen on. That's probably the way it is designed.

Other than that, I don't know about the problem you were seeing. Perhaps it inadvertently got fixed with 0.38, or it is a TreoHelper setting I'm not using, something in the Fun category perhaps.

I'm trying to do some device-specific changes for the next release, sorta separating the various work-arounds which split the code between the CDMA and GSM devices. Most of it has to do with procalarm versus displayalarm requirements, which had to be made to have universal compatibility, but which I am now letting the CDMA have the better working versions rather than crippling them both due to GSM problems
  11.    #11  

I couldn't find any problems. I tried it with the system-wide message tone on and off, and also with TreoHelper SMS Def tone on and off. The original tone was affected by those various settings, but subsequent tones came out with whatever tone I picked in TreoAlertMgr.

It was a little weird though, but I think its the way the app is designed. Seems to only do the subsequent tone when the device is powered off, and the tones don't turn the screen on. That's probably the way it is designed.

Other than that, I don't know about the problem you were seeing. Perhaps it inadvertently got fixed with 0.38, or it is a TreoHelper setting I'm not using, something in the Fun category perhaps.

I'm trying to do some device-specific changes for the next release, sorta separating the various work-arounds which split the code between the CDMA and GSM devices. Most of it has to do with procalarm versus displayalarm requirements, which had to be made to have universal compatibility, but which I am now letting the CDMA have the better working versions rather than crippling them both due to GSM problems
    Thanks for checking this out. I'll download your latest on Monday and give it another go and report back.
  12.    #12  

Thanks for checking this out. I'll download your latest on Monday and give it another go and report back.
    I loaded your latest version of TreoHelper and you're right... all seems to work ok. Thanks!
    I have both TreoHelper and TreoAlertMgr. running and have no problems with either one...