Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I hope this helps others

http://www.1tigerdirect.com/treo/
    Had mine unlocked by TM about a month ago. Just checked WEB link for unlock code and it works fine. Now to get the formula for the unlock codes.
  3. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Very cool... now I need to rush home and try my Cingular SIM...
  4. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    That worked! Now my $50 Treo is unlocked. Now if only the T-Mobile rebate check would come in the mail....

Anyway, thanks for posting the tip!
    How do I find out what companies offer SIM cards besides TM in my area? I get the feeling that when I call Cingular (for example) they are going to say "SIM"???? "What's a SIM?" Or is it an industry standard issue?

TM coverage is really poor in my area.
  6. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    What's your area?

Go to the various carriers' websites (AT&T, Cingular) and check their coverage map.

Any GSM carrier's CS rep should know the term SIM. But AT&T and Cingular both still have non-GSM regions, and reps there may not be trained.
    hey ocs--

how did you get a $50 Treo? is it a 180 or a 270? thanks
  8. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by srwdc1
    hey ocs--

how did you get a $50 Treo? is it a 180 or a 270? thanks
    I got a Treo 180 for $50 from TigerDirect. That's after the $150 T-Mobile rebate (that I am still waiting for, BTW). They now sell it for $150, with the same rebate, i.e., the Treo is essentially free.

Amazon is selling the Treo 270 for $70 after T-Mobile rebates. Haven't looked at how the requirements compare, but it sounds like a good deal, too.
    Just bought one of these phones from Ebay hoping that it would come unlocked as advertised. However, when i received it, it was still locked! Went to the tigerdirect site, got my unlock code, punched in the numbers but no dice. Tried this a couple times with no success! The next day, I found a friend who has T-Mobile and borrowed his SIM card. Plugged it in, punched in the unlock code and viola, it WORKED!

Now I can use my Cingular SIM card as well prepaid cards internationally!
    Is it only for T-Mobile phones, or only for Treo 180s? (seems Tigerdirect does not sell 270's).

I want to get a 270 from ebay, but want to be able to unlock it.

(at this point, I'm about ready to drop my ATT contract, and just go with a new TMobile contract, to get the $50 price on amazon)
    In order to use the site you have to enter in your IMEI number which is located on outside box or the inside cover of your SIM compartment. If it processes successfully, then it will return a unlock code and instructions on how to enter it in your phone.

Not sure if this site will work for non-TREO 180 phones. You might want to ask sombody with a TREO 270 to give it a try.
    stevel0923,

mean to say that you need T-Mobile sim to unlock the treo 180? I just bought one from computergeeks and forgot to ask them to unlock it.

i tried using the unlock code from tiger direct and got a message that it was "not" unlocked (i did not insert any sim cards). fortunately did not damage the phone like many others have experienced (maybe the phone gets damaged if you insert other carrier's sim card while unlocking?)

Thanks in advance!
  13. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    It's been a couple of weeks since I unlocked my TD Treo 180, but I *think* these are the steps I used (and it worked):

1. Tried my Cingular SIM -- of course, didn't work, phone is locked

2. Took SIM out, tried unlock code. Didn't work.

3. Plugged Cingular SIM back in, then tried unlock code. This time it worked. Phone was unlocked.

4. Plugged T-Mobile SIM back in, still worked.
    The Tigerdirect site appears to work only for Treos purchased thru Tiger. I tried entering my code in the site, and it didn't work.

Has anyone been able to unlock their treo using another method? Thanks
    I think the tigerdirect site unlocks treos that are locked to the T-mobile network. I bought mine on ebay (locked to TM network)and unlocked it using the tigerdirect site. Now, I'm using the phone on the Rogers AT&T network in Toronto, Canada. I don't know other methods to unlock the treo though....good luck in your search!
    Anyone have an unlock code for Cingular? I want to sell my Treo 180 as I'm getting a 270, but I'd like to unlock it before listing it on ebay.

I called Cingular, and was told they don’t give out unlock codes anymore because Cingular service is now “worldwide.” I said I’m getting a new phone, and am still going to use Cingular service with the new phone (mostly because I don’t want to change my number), and I just want to get a couple of bucks for the old phone, and was basically told “tough luck” by the company I’ve been paying $70/month for the past couple of years.

Are the codes unique to each phone, or is it more of a universal code? Does anyone know of an unlock code that works with Cingular?

If anyone can help, and doesn’t want to post here, please email me at frool@yahoo.com.

I’m not trying to rip anyone off or anything, just trying to make *my* phone more marketable!
    The link posted by stick1:
    http://www.1tigerdirect.com/treo/

worked for me: I did do a little multiple choice- w/cingular sim, w/o cingular sim, (my dos teacher suggested that I not select bomb disarming as a profession due to my process of elimination habits) but the code DID finally work on my Treo 180 locked for T-mobile. I had called my carrier, Cingular, but they said they didn't have the code and to call T-mobile. The net was quicker, thanks to stick1.

I believe that the final process order was, 1)place the cingular sim card in, 2)turn on the phone to seek signal, 3)get the 'this sim card does not work with this phone' message, 4) input the SPECIFIC code from the site above, 5) this dials the code 6) get the message (this lock on this sim has been removed) YEAH!!!

*SPECIFIC CODE above refers to the place in the link where you have to input/submit your phone's IMEI # and then hopefully you will get an exact unlock code.

good luck. Got my brand new, never been used 180 on ebay for $90 plus $10 shipping.
    For the people who have had success- was the unlock code 7 or 8 digits long? The site gives me a 7 digit code and it has not worked for me.
    Purchased a 180 on ebay. The code from Tiger direct site will not unlock it. Sim locked to T-mobile. Called T mobile several times but they will not provide an unlock code for it unless I am currently a T-mobile customer with an account. I am in Toronto Canada and cannot get a T-Mobile account. Looking for a current T-mobile account holder to help me get the unlock code for my phone. It is a simple process of calling them and telling them you are travelling out of US and would like to use a local sim card with a prepaid account during your stay there. I will provide you with my IMEI number, which you can give them and they will provide you with an unlock code. Please email me if you are willing to help me. I am willing to compensate you for the trouble. Thanks.
    pm me and I can mail you a spare (not in service T-mobile SIM) to try. I believe you only need to SIM to unlock.

David Kung.

p.s. Please mail it back after you have succeeded/tried in unlocking your Treo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast