Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
  1.    #161  
    Hi RayUSA!

You said :"Jake, I'm still trying to look for a picture of the 600 with the top loading slot for the SIM card. You know of any? Thanks buddy! Why is the GSM version gonna take longer?? DOH!!"

I have not seen a photo of a Treo 600 with the SIM card slot on top, but the Treo 600 I saw definitely had it. It was so cool looking.

I don't know for a fact that the GSM will take longer. For that matter I think the only people who really know what is going on is the folks at Handspring.

I think there is a lot of information floating around out there but there is also much conjecture. We shall see what we shall see.

RayUSA you also said in the beginning of your post "I totally agree that more options on faceplate colors would definitely be a cool thing! I'm leaning towards the "secret agent" black color as well, but it would be nice to have some choices. I just know how much fun I'm gonna have customizing the images on the Treo 600 home screen. At least that will help satisfy some of the need to add that personal flair." I could not agree with you more!!!

Best,
    Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Originally posted by Snowracer
    My Sharp Zaurus (now I havent mentioned that PDA for awhile) had a great function called links. All you had to do was "link" an appointment or to-do to its customer file by clicking on a link icon, and it could forever be accessed via that file by clicking on the link in the customer file. This ability might allow me to stop having to cut and paste appointments and to-dos so I have a record in the notes field in a customer file. Any thoughts? Does HS read these threads?
    Jeff,

There is a 3rd party app from Best Sofware Inc. called ACT for Palm OS that has these link features built in. Check it out at www.ACT.com

-Tim
    Think First, ask questions later!
    The article Stickman posted has photos of the top front and top back of the 600. I couldn't see the SIMM slot though.

Clicky

Fester
    Originally posted by FesterTreo
    The article Stickman posted has photos of the top front and top back of the 600. I couldn't see the SIMM slot though.

Clicky

Fester
    I think it's behind the door in this shot: http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/c...o_600_Back.JPG
  5.    #165  
    FesterTreo & KRamsauer:

The Treo 600 I saw WAS different than what is in the phonescoop photo. Many people speculated like KRamsauer that it is behind the door. IT IS NOT.

It is parallel to the SD lot and about 3/8 of an inch away from the it. I was really suprised by it because I saw the same photos evertbody else did and I thought what everybody else did.

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

Originally posted by FesterTreo

Clicky

Fester
    Those photos are probably of the Sprint (CDMA) version, which doesn't have a SIM card, thus it wouldn't have a slot for one.

When someone takes some comprehensive photos of the GSM version, then we'll probably be able to see the slot for the SIM card.

Until then, we'll just have to take Jake's word for it.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    The SIM slot is visible and labeled "slot per schde SIM" at the top of page two in the Italian Brochure:

http://www.handspring.it/pdf/treo/brochure_treo600.pdf

It is in the position that JakeE described.
  8. purpleX
    this thing is going to show up in the US with $699 price tag.
    vflopez,

Thanks for the great tip on the photo of the SIM slot! Wow, it IS awesome... just like Jake described! I think I'm gonna go for the GSM version when it comes out. I wonder if it will be available in black after all?

About the CDMA version, "Handspring announced that it has chosen the Airprime EM3420 as the CDMA module, which makes possible SMS functionality, assisted GPS for E911 compliance, and bi-directional data rates up to 153.6kbps."

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5634

Has anyone checked out the new Sony Clie PEG-UX50 due out this September? It is sooo cool! Another great product design from the people at Sony... It's supposed to command a hefty $700 price tag though, a little pricey and it doesn't even do everything the Treo 600 can. I hope Handspring will keep the Treo 600 in the $400-500 range like they said.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,59679,00.html

The more I learn about the Treo 600, the more I hate my phone.

RayUSA
    Last edited by RayUSA; 07/21/2003 at 04:08 PM.
    RayUSA

the 'on/off' switch in your picture is, of course, the 'sound on/off' switch. You might want to add that otherwise itÄll give newcomers a false impression

PurpleX

with the current exchange rate I'd rather pay $699 than ¤899 (that was a Euro symbol in front of the higher number. Just in case your computer doesn't show it )

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Here is a jpg of that SIM slot pic

RayUSA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    i am really excited about the 600; I currently love my 180 (mostly, 'cept for the dead speaker syndrome, but HS is being really cool about honoring the warranty).

I wonder, does anyone have price info, or knowledge of a rumoured deal for current Treo users?

I mostly have disliked trying to use it at night, since the keys are not lit, so i am happy to hear there is change on this!!! please have a braille like dot on a key, like the raised bump on my PC keyboards J key, that lets you have a point of reference for keying without looking.

I had this idea, inspired by my trying to dial on my 180 at night.

bevel the buttons that are the numberpad with a slight angle inward toward the center key (5), creating a small divet you can feel with the thumb. it would be easy to learn by touch which key is which, by the slight variation of angle/position.

I think it would be a nice feature, even with a lit keypad, sometimes it is nice to not have to look!
    Originally posted by duramatters
    please have a braille like dot on a key, like the raised bump on my PC keyboards J key, that lets you have a point of reference for keying without looking.
    The number 5 will have a small raised dot on it so you know by feeling it where the numbers are on the keypad.
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Originally posted by treopolis

The number 5 will have a small raised dot on it so you know by feeling it where the numbers are on the keypad.
    It's pictured here: Treo 600 keyboard closeup

Look just to the left of the 5 and just above the F.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    cool, thanks for pointing that out.

cool they moved the * and # to a more "normal" position. And the shift to the left of the keypad seems ergonomically more functional. I am a massage therapist by trade, so I am very concious of how something fits, and the anatomical logic of its use... I like a nice interface with my CNS!

Our nervous systems learn to proprioceptively hit certain keys, and it would be nice to not have to rewire our brains with every new device. That is one of the attractions of a qwerty board, right? We all ready know it. I notice several shift characters are changed from my current 180, so I am willing to relearn again, but they ought to lock that down and stick with it for a few decades... or switch the whole thing to dvorak! Give us something even more efficient for single thumb keying!

One more suggestion for future models: how about have a small LCD digital clock on the upper edge, or next to the earpiece speaker, or on back... so that you can tell the time without having to do a full power on!!!
    Duramatters,

the keys are backlit and u can turn the lights on and off.
    my question is, aside from color, what network will give us the best treo 600? CDMA or GSM? any opinion??
    Ben
    jakeE
    theres a defeaning silence on this thread for a while, especially after some sightings of the treo which werent as enthusiastic as your initial feedback. was wondering if you have anything new to report of late? whether you got a unit to play with to refine/update your review?
  19.    #179  
    Originally posted by athreya
    jakeE
    theres a defeaning silence on this thread for a while, especially after some sightings of the treo which werent as enthusiastic as your initial feedback. was wondering if you have anything new to report of late? whether you got a unit to play with to refine/update your review?
    I was thinking about obtaining a Treo 600 to do a more detailed review but I would only have it for the weekend and I just figured I would wait and see along with everyone else. I don't know, perhaps I will do it???

I did view the screen in direct sunlight and it looked good.

All my new stuff can be seen at:

http://discussion.visorcentral.com/v...434#post236434

thanks
    Do u think u can point me to specific stuff u have written abt or your thoughts abt:
    1)the email system: Is it IDENTICAL to BB? push system? or does it dial in like in the 300?
    2)Battery life with say one hour cell usage per day?
    3) MOST IMPORTANTLY..is the keyboard as good as BB?

The new review posted on this site also mentions reservations about the keyboard

btw your site appears to be down-cant open it!

thanks a lot
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast