Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    hawkins approach is prudent to deliver a product to market. what happens after becomes the further field test. it will be interesting to see the feedback when others get there hands on this gem and explore some of the less conventional configurations like bluetooth. again thanks for an outstanding article, count me in, the minute this is available. any insight to a more specific date. as i have no allegiance to a provider i need to determine, gsm or cdma versions? any thoughts?
    Ben
    whew, tring to read all of this is quite mind boggling for a newbee like me.

JakeE- just wondering if since AT&T will support the T600? If AT&T will support the T270, will the T600 follow suit? Also didn't Palm just work out a deal in the recent past w/ Balckberry so that real push technology should be assumed as well? Anybody ask how this unit will be carried other than in a pocket? I would imagine in and out of a holster could possibly damage either the screen or the camera lens or both. Will the OS5 be able to open documents in excel or word? If any or all of these questions are already discussed forgive me.
  3.    #143  
    Cque:

Congratulations! If you read this far you are a trooper!

You think reading all of this was mind boggling? Imagine writing it and responding as well. Actually it has been a lot of fun!

I do not know if AT&T will support it but I imagine they will. I think ATT uses a GSM network so at a minimum you could use a GSM Treo 600.

I do recall reading about how Palm cut a deal with RIM (Blackberry) but I don’t know how it fits into the Treo 600.

I would imagine there will be many aftermarket vendors that make protective cases for the Treo 600 that can be hung on a holster outside your pants. From what I was told Handspring did very extensive testing to make certain that the Treo 600 will be very, very sturdy.

Think about it this way: First ask yourself is it possible to make a phone like the Treo 600 that is extremely sturdy and relatively scratch proof? ABSOLUTELY! The next question you have to ask is if Handspring went to the design extremes to make the keyboard as innovative as it is, don’t you think they would come up with a way to make it relatively the screen and camera lens scratchproof? I would assume so! If not it would be a mistake and from everything I have seen they very much seem to have left no stone unturned.

I don’t know if OS5 will be able to open word or excel docs. If not you can always obtain a program to do so.

Actually Cque, all of the questions you asked were already addressed in the forum, but that is o.k. I am EXTREMELY impressed with the membership of the Treocentral.com forum. There are many brilliant members that know way more than I do which is one of the reasons I enjoy participating and reading so much. I realize it can be time consuming but there is already a great deal of valuable insight in the forum.

This is particularly fascinating when you realize that are already more posts in the Treo 600 forum than in the entire history of the Treo 180. I imagine the Treo 600 forum will also pass up the Treo 270 forum before the Treo 600 is released. The reason I bring this up is because I believe the Treo 600 is going to completely change the playing field.

I hope I don’t sound like a broken record, but I can’t emphasize enough how exiting the future looks for Palm. With Jeff Hawkins and all the folks from Handspring going back to Palm along with all the Be developers it is going to be amazing. Despite the fact I intend to purchase a Treo 600 the first second it becomes available, I will be extremely curious to see what kind of innovative new products Palm will be coming up with in the course of the next year.

In my personal opinion the advent of the Treo 600 will go down in history as a major technological achivement on the road the digital future.

Cheers!
    Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    makes sense. although I'm not really an early adopter, I've been resraching this for sometime. To think, I got excited when I found out about the T/W! I noticed how almost no one is discussing that product any more in palmvenue or bright hand. this T600 forum has gotten to me and I like you can't wait 'till it is out. (even made myself one of the paper mock ups which sits on my desk, even that sparks up conversation!) I have to admit though skimmed though some of the forum so I probably missed the answers to my??s so thanks for the info.
  5.    #145  
    cque

My Pleasure!!!

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

6. purpleX
    Originally posted by JakeE

In my personal opinion the advent of the Treo 600 will go down in history as a major technological achivement on the road the digital future.
    Originally posted by purpleX

Though I (obviously) don't agree with much of what you say, that was completely called for.
  8.    #148  
    Mr. Positive and Mr. Super Positive:

Time will tell.

Jake

I don't think the lack of a flip cover is going to be a big deal at all. I'm sure there will be lots of third-party products like cases and removable screen protectors available. Never had any problem with my Palm and Sony Clie...

Just curious, do you think the GSM or CDMA version of the Treo 600 will be more popular?

Any of you have arguments for or against one or the other? (like clarity, range, features, etc.)
  10.    #150  
    Hi Ray!

On the GSM v. CDMA version I wonder about the same issues you brought up. While I think having a phone with me at all times is invaluable, I do not like talking on cell phones very much, so I am not that concerned with the phone aspect. Of course I want great reception and so forth.

Actually, the only thing I am concerned with on this issue is whether or not I will be able to get a black Treo 600 because I have a GSM phone. I have not seen the silver Treo 600 in person, but in the pictures it looks cool, but I really want the darker one.

I like the very dark grey—almost black—Treo 600 because I think it looks smaller, more professional, more serious and I think having the black frame will increase the dynamic range of the screen colors and make the screen pop more. I believe the same to be true for the bezels on flat screen Plasma TVs. I prefer a black bezel over a silver one because it does not reflect as much light, which in turn make the image stand out that much more.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the silver phone looks really cool! I would just prefer the darker one. I think it would be cool if you could choose which color you want. I don’t know how hard that would be from a logistical perspective. When I had a Nokia 8290 I was kind of into the changeable faceplate feature.

You know; my ever changing moods.

Jake

According to this phone scoop story...

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/c.../index.php?p=2
    Th

The Sprint version will be the dark one and the GSM vesrion will be the light one.

It also says the CDMA version will preceed the GSM one by a month or so.

Sorry Jake...you may have to switch to Sprint
    Last edited by Stickman; 07/16/2003 at 04:57 PM.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Jake,

I agree as do many of the home theater and video professionals I have worked with that the absolute best border to maximize an image either projected or viewed on a panel is black. Most comments on this involve LCD panels as small as 10", but I would be willing to bet that this would be the preference. I know that the colored faces and cases have been all the rage, but I am a form follows function type. The only justification I can thing of other than novelty of having a different colored device is if, lets say, two or more individuals in the same place left their devices to charge or store and because they are the same color, they could get mixed up as to which one is owned by someone. We have a similar problem here with laptops at work. we actuallt recommend taht employees customize them. I can see if my wife and I both owned the same color device and charged on the same desk, a mistake could be made when rushing out of the house.

So for our concept "spec sheet", black would be the color, or some other mechanism to identify your 600 from all your work mates or others), No?:shortcut:
    So the quad band gsm will be released in europe, and the generic gsm will be released in the US.

What is the real difference between the quad band and generic gsm?

is it worth it to buy from orange to get the quad band gsm? ie will the quad band phone have better reception in the US?

also will the generic gsm have better battery life as it will probably only be tri-band?

sorry if the answers are obvious but i don't know much about wireless signals
    One program essential to me on my TREO 300 is pdanet so that I can use the phone as a wireless modem. Is anyone aware whether that or a similar program will work on the Treo 600?

Thanks

LP
    Originally posted by sentinal10
    So the quad band gsm will be released in europe, and the generic gsm will be released in the US.

What is the real difference between the quad band and generic gsm?

is it worth it to buy from orange to get the quad band gsm? ie will the quad band phone have better reception in the US?

also will the generic gsm have better battery life as it will probably only be tri-band?

sorry if the answers are obvious but i don't know much about wireless signals
    Hardware-wise, there will be one type of GSM Treo 600: quad-band.

A generic GSM Treo 600 referes to the software that comes installed on it. It would not have anything customized for any of the carriers. Yet it would, of course, have the ability to use most services if you know the parameters to cusomize things like GPRS, etc. Thus, you don't lose anything buying a generic phone except this customization of software. It would be a true world phone that you can use on any carrier.

A carrier-supported GSM phone would ship with software that the carrier wants on it so that it can access things like its data features, special support numbers, etc, nicely out of the box and that it would be more inline with the rest of that carrier's offerings. It would probably be locked too.
  16.    #156  
    j$hort

Color is important in many ways. Americans are typically afraid of color. Europeans, especially Italians are really into color. I don’t mean to sound like a weirdo, but color can have a therapeutic effect on people.

When I had a Nokia 8290 it came with a really cool cobalt blue faceplate and a cool deep red one. When Henry Ford started the Ford motor company he said you can buy a Ford in any color as long as it is black. I think a cobalt blue faceplate for the Treo 600 would be cool. If I had to pick one color for the Treo 600 I would definitely pick black. I think black would give it an IBM ThinkPad kind of vibe which is serious, professional and it makes the device look smaller the same way that wearing black pants make you look trimmer than wearing tan pants.

I could also see how girls would like having more color choices with changeable faceplates. I know if Austin Powers had a Treo 600 it would be psychedelic colors with daisies on it. Grooooovy Baby! Yeah!!!

Jake

Thanks JakeE for all your thoughts and comments.

I just found the thread today, and read every last word with complete fascination.

I have a just a "few" thoughts/comments/questions:

It only took 2 weeks and my 300's case and lid screen were scratched, very sad, no way to repair without replacing, so I have carried my Star Trek communicator with me looking as though I had scratched it in a fit of passion ever since. Any improvement in that area would be great.

I use the 300 24/7, for everything written. I purchased 2 cradles, one for the PC at home and one for the laptop on the road, I dread the expense of 2 new cradles (as well as the T600, all this smoke spells BIG BUCKS I fear).

I noticed someone mentioned somewhere in this thread to increase the amount of data allowed in the notes field. In my opinion character amounts should be unlimited, it drives me nuts when the notes field reaches its max and I have to create a 2nd, 3rd and now even a 4th customer account just so I can keep running track of previous appointments, contacts and relative data. GIVE ME MORE ROOM FOR DATA HS.

The 300 is now in its cradle or connected to the lighter via car cord 60% of the time, (from 5PM till 8 am and while traveling between appointments, so the battery issue hasnt popped up very often, but when it does, the data is GONE, everything from the last hot sync until the crash is lost. Why not create a hibernate mode that keeps the data but does not allow the phone to be used?

My samsung sph I300 used a program called active sync, a far better program than hot sync, as you only needed to place the device in its cradle to have it sync, it took quite a while to get used to having to manually sync. My .02 cents

I too find that a redial button would be quite valuable. Having to use the call history and select each time is a pain. As I hope to have the first T600 in my neighborhood (I may even pay off the sprint store manager to get it....) I wont go thru the upgrades for the 300 now, but will hope the T600 does it better.

The ONLY way I know the phone is ringing now is to use the loudest setting and vibrate. Why is it some phones on the market can be heard across a crowded loud restaurant and I can't hear the 300 on my belt? This needs improving. Crossing my fingers with the T600.

And my biggest complaint/concern for last:

I have corporate email afforded me from AOL, I need to access AOL from the T600. Using blazer and browse web were of no value as most of you are probably aware because of the javascript compatability issues. AOL is testing a new access site with Sprint (http://www.sprintvision.aol.com), but as I had my wireless web function disabled and use only data minutes to access AOL via a downloaded version of aol for pda's (available on the hs website for a fee, AOL 2.0......) I am unsure if it works. It took forever for me to get my aol email on the 300, will this be easier to do with the T600?

I will look forward to seeing the time on the desktop, as this is my only watch as well.

Oh and one other thing, it would be nice to be able to dial from any use of a printed phone number (in the notes section of an email for instance), just a thought. Clipping and pasting to setup a complete account just to dial is occasionally a pain.

And maybe one more thing:

My Sharp Zaurus (now I havent mentioned that PDA for awhile) had a great function called links. All you had to do was "link" an appointment or to-do to its customer file by clicking on a link icon, and it could forever be accessed via that file by clicking on the link in the customer file. This ability might allow me to stop having to cut and paste appointments and to-dos so I have a record in the notes field in a customer file. Any thoughts? Does HS read these threads?

OK, one last issue, my 300 crashes quite often, usually I attribute the crash to the transfer of the phone from one cell to another while turned on (the problem does not seem to rear its ugly head when the phone is turned off on the plane and on in a new zone, only when I drive from one to the other). Any thoughts regarding this problem with the T600? As well, will the T600 be able to use analog systems, or do I still have to deal with the loss of use while snowmobiling in the upper peninsula of Michigan during the winter? It just isnt right that the phone works fine all of the rest of the year, and when I need to rely on it the most emergency wise, no coverage.

Give me a swivel holster and a T600, 2 cradles and a car kit and I will be happy for oh, say, at least another 6 months.

Thanks again JakeE and everyone else.

Snowraser
    Jeff
    One comment... Your Samsung uses Hot Sync.

Pocket PC's use Active Sync.

As a former Treo 300 user, I can claim that most of your comments are correct.

There are two main approaches to battery failure.

The first is to keep the Treo charged and to freqently sync the system.

Backup Buddy will help here.

The second is to use a backup flash memory card. Now the Treo 300 and my 270 do not have a memory slot. The Kyocera 7135 does as do may Palms. You use Backup Buddy or a similar program to backup all of your data to the memory card.

The good news is that the Treo 600 will havd a memory slot and will solve this problem.

Originally posted by Snowracer
    Thanks JakeE for all your thoughts and comments.

I just found the thread today, and read every last word with complete fascination.

I have a just a "few" thoughts/comments/questions:

It only took 2 weeks and my 300's case and lid screen were scratched, very sad, no way to repair without replacing, so I have carried my Star Trek communicator with me looking as though I had scratched it in a fit of passion ever since. Any improvement in that area would be great.

I use the 300 24/7, for everything written. I purchased 2 cradles, one for the PC at home and one for the laptop on the road, I dread the expense of 2 new cradles (as well as the T600, all this smoke spells BIG BUCKS I fear).

I noticed someone mentioned somewhere in this thread to increase the amount of data allowed in the notes field. In my opinion character amounts should be unlimited, it drives me nuts when the notes field reaches its max and I have to create a 2nd, 3rd and now even a 4th customer account just so I can keep running track of previous appointments, contacts and relative data. GIVE ME MORE ROOM FOR DATA HS.

The 300 is now in its cradle or connected to the lighter via car cord 60% of the time, (from 5PM till 8 am and while traveling between appointments, so the battery issue hasnt popped up very often, but when it does, the data is GONE, everything from the last hot sync until the crash is lost. Why not create a hibernate mode that keeps the data but does not allow the phone to be used?

My samsung sph I300 used a program called active sync, a far better program than hot sync, as you only needed to place the device in its cradle to have it sync, it took quite a while to get used to having to manually sync. My .02 cents

I too find that a redial button would be quite valuable. Having to use the call history and select each time is a pain. As I hope to have the first T600 in my neighborhood (I may even pay off the sprint store manager to get it....) I wont go thru the upgrades for the 300 now, but will hope the T600 does it better.

The ONLY way I know the phone is ringing now is to use the loudest setting and vibrate. Why is it some phones on the market can be heard across a crowded loud restaurant and I can't hear the 300 on my belt? This needs improving. Crossing my fingers with the T600.

And my biggest complaint/concern for last:

I have corporate email afforded me from AOL, I need to access AOL from the T600. Using blazer and browse web were of no value as most of you are probably aware because of the javascript compatability issues. AOL is testing a new access site with Sprint (http://www.sprintvision.aol.com), but as I had my wireless web function disabled and use only data minutes to access AOL via a downloaded version of aol for pda's (available on the hs website for a fee, AOL 2.0......) I am unsure if it works. It took forever for me to get my aol email on the 300, will this be easier to do with the T600?

I will look forward to seeing the time on the desktop, as this is my only watch as well.

Oh and one other thing, it would be nice to be able to dial from any use of a printed phone number (in the notes section of an email for instance), just a thought. Clipping and pasting to setup a complete account just to dial is occasionally a pain.

And maybe one more thing:

My Sharp Zaurus (now I havent mentioned that PDA for awhile) had a great function called links. All you had to do was "link" an appointment or to-do to its customer file by clicking on a link icon, and it could forever be accessed via that file by clicking on the link in the customer file. This ability might allow me to stop having to cut and paste appointments and to-dos so I have a record in the notes field in a customer file. Any thoughts? Does HS read these threads?

OK, one last issue, my 300 crashes quite often, usually I attribute the crash to the transfer of the phone from one cell to another while turned on (the problem does not seem to rear its ugly head when the phone is turned off on the plane and on in a new zone, only when I drive from one to the other). Any thoughts regarding this problem with the T600? As well, will the T600 be able to use analog systems, or do I still have to deal with the loss of use while snowmobiling in the upper peninsula of Michigan during the winter? It just isnt right that the phone works fine all of the rest of the year, and when I need to rely on it the most emergency wise, no coverage.

Give me a swivel holster and a T600, 2 cradles and a car kit and I will be happy for oh, say, at least another 6 months.

Thanks again JakeE and everyone else.

Snowraser
    CUSTOM SHOP
    I totally agree that more options on faceplate colors would definitely be a cool thing! I'm leaning towards the "secret agent" black color as well, but it would be nice to have some choices. I just know how much fun I'm gonna have customizing the images on the Treo 600 home screen. At least that will help satisfy some of the need to add that personal flair.

Anyone know what program you need to compose your own polyphonic ringtones?

EMERGENCY JUICE
    Another thing that would be cool is if there was a built-in adapter to power the phone from a AA battery on the road in an emergency. Maybe that would make the phone more bulky, but if there was a graceful way to design this... (like two tiny hinged flaps that open to temporarily hold a AA battery on the outside of the phone)

PHONE ID TRACKING
    One thing I'm concerned about is losing a phone like this... Is there any technology that will help locate a stolen or lost phone by tracking a unique ID signal that is transmitted when it is being used? Maybe not... but I wish there was. In the meantime, you can bet I'm gonna guard this phone like it was my newborn child.

Jake, I'm still trying to look for a picture of the 600 with the top loading slot for the SIM card. You know of any? Thanks buddy!

Why is the GSM version gonna take longer?? DOH!!!
    Last edited by RayUSA; 07/17/2003 at 07:31 PM.
  20.    #160  
    Snowracer:

Welcome to the forum!

There is a redial button on the Treo 300: simply hold down the physical phone button for two seconds and it will redial the last number you called.

As I mentioned in my review Handspring did heavy duty R&D and testing to ensure the increased durability of the Treo 600 so I would not worry too much about scratching it. The Treo 600 I got to check out felt solid as a rock.

On the issue of the cost of upgrading your cradles and so forth I would not worry too much about it. Sell everything on Ebay the second you get your Treo 600. I don’t know this to be a fact buy I think I read Handspring was going to be offering a trade up discount for current users where you don’t have to send in your current Treo. If they give you a $50 or $100 discount that would be great!

Snowracer, think about the value proposition of the Treo 600? You are going to get a machine that is five times faster, has a camera and MP3 playback ability…and that is just the beginning! I think the Treo 600 will take you to the next level. Plus Handspring will be offering a high-end car kit that will charge the unit and allow you to talk hands free in your car.

On the synchronization issue I agree with you completely. The reason Palm and Handspring never converted to an active sync format was because many people bog down their Palms with programs that are always pulling info from the web and that way you could not just grab your palm and go. The school of thought is that if you get to choose when to sync you can pickup your palm and just go when you want without having to wait for it to finish syncing. In my opinion it is time for Palm to TAKE THE TRAINING WHEELS OFF THE PALM BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING IN THE WAY.

Perhaps they should have a Palm Desktop basic for beginners and a mode you can switch into if you are a power user.

Another example you mentioned is allowing unlimited notes in the notes field. This is a feature that will be incorporated into Palm OS 6.0. Another feature I think they should add is a time and date stamp for all note fields.

I agree with you about being able to select any phone number and be able to cut and past them into the phone. I have been thinking the same thing for a long time.

I also like your link icon idea.

If any other people who read this have any other ideas for how to improve the Treo 600 and help take it to the next level I would encourage you to please share them here. I can’t begin to tell you all how valuable I believe you ideas are. Like I said before, they wont know how we feel if we don’t tell them.
    Last edited by JakeE; 07/17/2003 at 11:56 PM.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast