Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    I remembered reading this, so I had to go find it.

"Unlike with the audio, Handspring has not committed to sharing any API's to the camera for third party developers to use. If they did, video conferencing very well might be possible."

I hope this policy will change. There are a lot of possible Apps for the camera out there, and I am sure Hand dosn't intend to write them all. Maybe Palm will take a different view.

Quoted from ...
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/P...ries/236-1.htm

On the up side the same story contains this quote ...
    "For the first time ever, Handspring has integrated the microphone into the Palm unit itself. (Visor models microphone linked directly to the springboard, earlier Treo's linked directly to the radio) Handspring will not bundle recording software with the device, however they will soon make the API's available for developers to write that software. Developers can also access the phone stream to record the conversation, and with the 144 MHz processor perhaps encode it as an MP3 and store it on an SD card."

Thats if for now.
    Would you be willing to consult with handspring in designing the next Treo!?! I'm serious. You have a remarkably keen understanding of the user experience and have a passion for design excellence. Thanks for all you've offered us!!!
  3.    #123  
    rolltide6

My pleasure!!! Thank you for your very kind words!!!

I would love to work with Handspring on designing the next Treo, and I am certain if I did it would be significantly better. I think it was the great baseball player, Dizzy Dean who said, “It ain’t braggin if you can do it.”

Actually there are two reasons I would love to work with HS on the design of the next Treo:

I think Jeff Hawkins is one of the best designers in history. I would put him right up there with the Wright Brothers and Edison. I think it would be a privilege and pleasure to work with him.

Secondly, I would like to work with Handspring because I would personally benefit from having a superb device when all was said and done.

Who knows, maybe I will pitch Handspring on the idea, but if I did it would be with the caveat that I would want to create much better feedback loops with Treo end-users. There is an incredible wealth of ideas in this forum. I hope Handspring does not overlook this. The best source of consensus and innovation comes from customers who invest their hard earned money in your product.

I think that when a designer uses and depends on his or her own product there is a real and valuable feedback loop. Feedback loops are essential in great design. This is why in the final analysis I believe Palm will beat-out Microsoft in the handheld arena…because Jeff Hawkins depends highly on his Treo and I do not believe Bill Gates does. I think in a weird way Jeff is probably designing the Treo’s for himself.

I don’t know if Handspring monitors this or any other Treo forums. At a minimum I would be happy to act as a liaison from the Treo community to share user insight on how to significantly improve the end-user experience.

Anybody have any ideas on how to execute such a system?
    Last edited by JakeE; 07/07/2003 at 03:15 PM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Sprint's voice command works better than any built in voice recog and is there now.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    JakeE,

I have a suggestion that just may optimize all the great ideas found here in 9+ pages of discussion, insure that Handspring (soon to be Palm) sees it and more importantly exercises the design passion you and others here have for the device.

Here it is:

A full spec sheet of the device or proposed device with full color dimensional shots, a list of all capabilities, software, etc. The more detail the better. Kind of like something you would go and see on a page at Handspring's site, except it would be a conceptual design. The ideas and submissions could come from a forum like this, but only 1 working copy of the, lets call it spec sheet, would be used. Perhaps on a web page which the forum could link to. Maybe one item can be handled at a time. Suggestions could be introduced, discussed, voted on (do we have polling capability here?), selected or dropped. The inclusion of any given item would be based on factual information from a bunch of different people from different careers, countries and walks of life. I see many things from the past pages of this discussion which would fit the bill right now. The finsihed comcept could then be submitted to Handspring/Palm (or others) to let them know that we like what we see and share their passion for where this is all headed.

Just a thought:shortcut:
  6.    #126  
    j$hort

Your idea is great!

I intend on taking real action to create such a feedback loop. I am not certain how far I will get with it, but I think it is a superb idea and I promise I will give it my best shot.

As soon as I hear some news I will update everybody in this thread on my success.

JakeE
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

Originally posted by j$hort
    A full spec sheet of the device or proposed device with full color dimensional shots, a list of all capabilities, software, etc. The more detail the better. Kind of like something you would go and see on a page at Handspring's site, except it would be a conceptual design. The ideas and submissions could come from a forum like this, but only 1 working copy of the, lets call it spec sheet, would be used. Perhaps on a web page which the forum could link to. Maybe one item can be handled at a time. Suggestions could be introduced, discussed, voted on (do we have polling capability here?), selected or dropped. The inclusion of any given item would be based on factual information from a bunch of different people from different careers, countries and walks of life. I see many things from the past pages of this discussion which would fit the bill right now. The finsihed comcept could then be submitted to Handspring/Palm (or others) to let them know that we like what we see and share their passion for where this is all headed.
    As an FYI, I had planned to do something very similar to what you suggest on my site. I can't guarantee any time frame as to when I'll get it going, but hopefully soon.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    After seeing my friends' Nokia 3650 and Sony P800, they give the Treo 600 a run for the money, and good competition.

My friend's Nokia 3650 is a very competent device, under the T-Mobile service, not to mention free after rebates. He was video recording a birthday party at a friends' house we were at, it was awesome, he said he can fit like 6 hours of video on there, and we got video of all of us playing drinking games on video. Can the Treo do that, with or without software? Cause if it can't, its a pathetic device.

Also my friend made me send an email from my Treo to his 3650, and I did, and he received it MMS, so it doens't go thru his online email account, it went straight to his phone and he was notified of it immediately, no need to connect online to check your yahoo mail, it goes straight to his phone, we did this in the movie theater. Also pretty neat. The Treo 600 better be able to do this.

Basically the only advantage the Treo has over other devices is the Querty keyboard. I don't like the Palms' organizer, the calendar needs to show 2 months on screen at a time, and the way it is set up is not that convenient, the whole 5 different views..each one is kinda useless in a way.

And the Treo is the ugliest phone of the three. The 3650 is pretty big, but looks cool, and is definitely a cool device. All my friends already have a picture directory in them, very colorful and good pictures, good smooth motion in video. I hope the treo will have picture dial, where whoever is calling and you have a picture saved with that phone number, that it works. The treo 600 needs a makeover. It still looks very geeky, how its all square and all. They could have rounded the edges, made the phone look cooler, and not so businessy...then i think they would attract the younger crowd, as well as the older and business crowd, because the 3650 and p800 are right up there with the Treo, and to the younger crowd, the 3650 appeals more, and I'm definitely impressed with it, especially and that it's free.
    josephtse, check out my post in this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...547#post227547

I just made some of the same comments about the Nokia 3650. Most people discount the 3650 as being a competitor but really the only thing lacking is a thumbboard. It would cost Nokia next to nothing to implement a thumbboard, and would bring it up to the same level as the Treo 600, even surpassing it in many respects (e.g. - video capture, multitasking OS). I've been very tempted to get a Nokia 3650 but I fear T-Mobile's coverage in my area and because of the lack of a thumbboard or touchscreen, it would be a drag trying to enter data into it. I've been trying to keep tabs on those IR foldable QWERTY keyboards. Supposedly one of them (TARGUS?) is testing it on the Nokia 7650. If it works on that phone, it should work on the 3650, since they both use the Series 60/Symbian OS.

Handspring is at a disadvantage in that they can't produce the phones as cheaply as Nokia can, not to mention Nokia's dominance in the phone market in general. As such, Handspring is hoping the extensive Palm OS application library will justify what looks like will be a hefty price tag for the Treo 600.

Scott
    Originally posted by josephtse
    Cause if it can't, its a pathetic device... The Treo 600 better be able to do this... The whole 5 different views..each one is kinda useless in a way... And the Treo is the ugliest phone of the three... The treo 600 needs a makeover. It still looks very geeky, how its all square and all.
    Hehehe, you seem very negative. You also seem to not like the Treo and never intend to purchase it. On account of the latter, why are you posting here?
    Originally posted by josephtse
    Basically the only advantage the Treo has over other devices is the Querty keyboard. I don't like the Palms' organizer, the calendar needs to show 2 months on screen at a time, and the way it is set up is not that convenient, the whole 5 different views..each one is kinda useless in a way.

And the Treo is the ugliest phone of the three. The 3650 is pretty big, but looks cool, and is definitely a cool device. All my friends already have a picture directory in them, very colorful and good pictures, good smooth motion in video. I hope the treo will have picture dial, where whoever is calling and you have a picture saved with that phone number, that it works. The treo 600 needs a makeover. It still looks very geeky, how its all square and all. They could have rounded the edges, made the phone look cooler, and not so businessy...then i think they would attract the younger crowd, as well as the older and business crowd, because the 3650 and p800 are right up there with the Treo, and to the younger crowd, the 3650 appeals more, and I'm definitely impressed with it, especially and that it's free.
    Josephtse,

It sounds that you should not be getting the Treo 600, whether or not it does some of the things you are asking about. If you don't like Palm OS and think the phone is ugly, these things are not going to change.

I'm sure you're aware that the Treo 600 is not aiming for the younger crowd. Those of us who are excited about the Treo 600 (and even existing Treo communicators) are generally people who need a solid PDA, with a vast library of available software, plus a capable phone. If the device happens to take pictures and video, that would be a nice bonus for some, and a liability for others. But it's not a key deciding factor for the majority of the target users.

While it's possible that the new Palm company will try to expand beyond those types of users, I think it is unlikely.
  12.    #132  
    Plus the Nokia only has Mono sound? And probably will never have its screen updated to a higher res screen.

Don't get me wrong. Nokia is a major innovator but the model you mention really seems to be a phone more than a PDA.

Will the treo's OS (unlike my plam 5's OS) have the ability to process more than one application at a time? My specific concern is its ability to play mp3's while another application is open because if I have to stop my music to read email or check my todo list or whatever that would really dampen a lot of the enthusiasm i have for this product.
  14.    #134  
    aderose

That is a great question! I don't know. I would imagine you could do both at once.

Does anybody know?

Jake

Originally posted by aderose
    Will the treo's OS (unlike my plam 5's OS) have the ability to process more than one application at a time? My specific concern is its ability to play mp3's while another application is open because if I have to stop my music to read email or check my todo list or whatever that would really dampen a lot of the enthusiasm i have for this product.
    I wouldn't worry about that. You could play MP3s in the background of the OS4 Sony devices. However, with the advent of wireless devices, true multitasking is now needed. Back when PDAs were disconnected, I didn't think that multitasking was a big deal, and the PPC didn't (and still doesn't) do a great job in that regard, as it slows down significantly once you get a few apps running. However, with wireless, there is a real need here. I want to have my device check for email in the background while I'm using my PDA for other purposes. Likewise for monitoring for instant messaging. And the idea of downloading a decent sized application (which at 2.5G speeds, it doesn't take a particularly big application for you to have to wait a while for it to download) while doing something other than watch it download is a big deal.

True multitasking is rumored to come with OS6, though I heard some rumor somewhere that Handspring might be using a multitasking-friendly version of OS5 for its Treo 600. I'd take that rumor with a grain of salt, though.

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R
    I wouldn't worry about that. You could play MP3s in the background of the OS4 Sony devices. However, with the advent of wireless devices, true multitasking is now needed. Back when PDAs were disconnected, I didn't think that multitasking was a big deal, and the PPC didn't (and still doesn't) do a great job in that regard, as it slows down significantly once you get a few apps running. However, with wireless, there is a real need here. I want to have my device check for email in the background while I'm using my PDA for other purposes. Likewise for monitoring for instant messaging. And the idea of downloading a decent sized application (which at 2.5G speeds, it doesn't take a particularly big application for you to have to wait a while for it to download) while doing something other than watch it download is a big deal.

True multitasking is rumored to come with OS6, though I heard some rumor somewhere that Handspring might be using a multitasking-friendly version of OS5 for its Treo 600. I'd take that rumor with a grain of salt, though.

Scott
    Scott, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason older OS 4.1 clies could suport backround mp3 playback was b/c of the secondary DSP chips? Also, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $OS$ $5$.$x$ $still$ $does$ $not$ $support$ $true$ $multi$-$tasking$ $per$ $se$; $however$, $there$ $are$ $certain$ $developer$ $specific$ $multi$-$thread$ $tasks$ $that$ $can$ $be$ $written$ $into$ $apps$. $Perhaps$ $someone$ $with$ $more$ $knowledge$ $here$ $can$ $explain$ $it$ $beter$? $Having$ $said$ $that$, $I$ $believe$ $realone$ $supports$ $backround$ $mp3$ $playback$ $on$ $OS$ $5$.$x$ $devices$ $as$ $well$ $as$ $pockettunes$ $etc$...
  17.    #137  
    Scott R

I am glad you chimed in here. Thanks for the answer.

Also, I like your idea about setting up a section on your site as you mentioned for developing consensus we can share with Palm on the direction that we as the end users would like to see the Treo evolve into.

There is no question in my mind that the Treo 600 is going to be a watershed device. We are already past the number of posts in the Treocentral.com forum for the Treo 180 model and half way to the Treo 270 Model. Wow!!!

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 07/10/2003 at 12:23 AM.

Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    Scott, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only reason older OS 4.1 clies could suport backround mp3 playback was b/c of the secondary DSP chips?
    Yes, I believe you are correct. I didn't want to get into all the reasons why MP3 background playback had been possible since OS4 (mainly because I'm tired and should be sleeping now), but I should have pointed it out since it could leave people with the wrong impression that the Palm OS was capable of supporting background MP3 playback since OS4 natively. As you said, this was more of a "trick" thanks to Sony "gluing" on an MP3 player to a Palm OS PDA (which, supposedly, still produces better results than all of the more single-chip solutions). The bottom line, though, is that MP3 background playback has always been available for the Palm OS handhelds that featured MP3 playback, so I would expect no less from the Treo 600 (but perhaps they'll prove me wrong).

Regarding other types of multitasking...I believe there was a thread on treocentral somewhere where some folks (potatoho?) mentioned that you could even hack the OS3.5 Treo do allow for checking for email in the background (for example), but it could be unstable. I'd rather not see developers hack at these things and create an unstable device. I'd much rather see PalmSource provide official hooks into their OS to support it. Hopefully soon.

Scott
    JakeE-
    this is outstanding insight at a time when not much is written on this device.
    regarding bluetooth though i , see alot of value and flexibility in pairing with a headset. ergonomically, i am on phone alot out of car. also though many cars will have bluetooth intergrated into there onboard systems going forward. so my question and or thought is will the bluetooth via card slot be viable option? ontially there was much trouble with bluetooth via card slots with the tungstens, very flakey!
    any thoguhts? feedback?
    thanks again for a great article.
    Ben
  20.    #140  
    ben klieger

Thank you for your kind words.

You said: "JakeE-this is outstanding insight at a time when not much is written on this device."

I agree. You know Ben; it is really strange how many people in the forum have been giving me a hard time about my article and my enthusiasm for the Treo 600. The main reason I wrote it was because before I saw the Treo 600 in person I had a bazillion questions. If I had not had the opportunity to have a presentation on the Treo, I would be climbing the walls with curiosity at this moment.

The only reason I wrote the extremely detailed article was because I wanted to share this "outstanding insight" with all the other Treo fans. I know if I had not seen the Treo 600 and someone else had written this article I would be totally stoked!

Sorry for the rant.

I have to admit that I have never used a Bluetooth device in my life, but I understand what Bluetooth can do. I was curious because, like you, I wanted to get a Bluetooth headset, and I thought it would be really cool to be able to sync wirelessly.

One of the first questions I asked was why the Treo 600 did not have Bluetooth built in. I received a fascinating answer. They said, Bluetooth can be very complex to set up and that if you had a Bluetooth headset it always has to be charged separately. But what it really boiled down to is the fact that Jeff Hawkins refuses to incorporate anything into the Treo that has not been proven. Jeff Hawkins school of thought is to optimize proven technology.

It is fascinating when you think about it because Jeff Hawkins has always taken the exact opposite approach as Bill Gates. Microsoft has always taken a bottom down approach to software design, where Jeff Hawkins has taken a bottom up approach. These are my words, but the premise with a bottom up approach is that, if the foundation is weak the structure will suffer accordingly.

In my experience with Microsoft, they just push product out the door and figure they will fix it later; same thing with Dell. Just churn em and burn em. Well I for one am not a guinea pig. As an early adopter of innovative technology I am willing to take risks, but I am not willing to pay a premium to be a guinea pig.

In the final analysis the Treo is a work of design and engineering work of art. Stunning! But at an obvious cost. The cost being that they had to make some tradeoffs. I for one believe very strongly they made all the right moves with regard to necessary tradeoffs.

As I have said so many times in this forum and in my article, the Treo 600 is a harbinger or prelude for what is to come. The fact that Jeff Hawkins will be back in the creative drivers’ seat at Palm is amazing. It means that in a few short years we will be seeing product that we probably can't imagine today. The future looks brighter and more interesting than ever...

Cheers!
    Jake

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast