Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but JakeE's thoughts in this thread have been posted on Geek.com !! Good job!! It seems like you made quite an impression with your passion for the treo 600!!
  2.    #102  
    gfunkmagic

I used to check out geek.com all the time but ever since I got the Treo I just kind of lost interest.

What can I say? I wish I could take credit, but the reality is the Treo 600 made quite an impression on me! I am just passing along the details.

The Treo 600 is the evolution of the revolution. When you first encounter one in person you will see and feel exactly what I have. It is MAGICAL!!!

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  3.    #103  
    kazinvan

I went through my MP3 collection and was viewing albums recorded at 256Kbps and the average size was 80MB. In retrospect I think it boils down to how you measure music? By the song? by the album? by the genre?

I agree with you based on a per hour basis. With my collection at 256Kbps is would be 3 albums on a 256MB SD card. 6 Albums on a 512MB, and 12 Albums on a 1GB.

My car has a 6CD player and it works pretty well for me. I think having 6 albums worth 256Kbps MP3s seems good for me.

I guess there is also the possibility of dropping my MP3s down to 128Kbps which if I had a 256MB SD card would give me six albums. I think I will experiment and see once I get a Treo 600 if I can tell the difference in sound quality?

What I am impressed with and I did not realize it was possible is the ability to transfer files back and forth to your computer over a broadband connection. Man this stuff is coool!!!

Josephtse

It is hard to say. I understand where you are coming from about the width of a phone. All I can say is the Treo 600 looked and felt soooo right in my hand. I would be shocked if when the Treo 600 comes out if you had one for a day and you said, “This phone is just too wide.”

If anyone can figure out how to make the Treo smaller and narrower it will be Jeff Hawkins. I think if you asked Jeff, he would tell you that in the final analysis that it is about making tradeoffs. Perhaps one mans dream tradeoff is another mans nightmare?

From what I understand he began working on designing the Treo 600 twelve months ago. That means the day I got my 270 he was well underway with the design of the 600. I imagine that means he is now underway on the design of the next generation. Man am I curious about what that will look like?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Imagine if he was able to come up with the Treo 600 on his own what he can do with Palm’s resources? It is going to be wild! The Evolution of the Revolution. In the mean time I am excited as can be to obtain a 600.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

ok, i know most of you guys out there are madly in love with the new 600. But I do have some reservations. When i first heard about the Treo 180, i thought to myself that this is exactly what I've been looking for!!!! I went out & bought it. After using it for a while, all its infamous problems surfaced. After having 3 units replaced, I think i'll wait a while and monitor the discussions on the 600 for a few months after it's released. I just hope that Handspring will thoroughly test this 600 so that the 180/270 fiasco will not happen again. Jake, maybe from your experience with the 600, can you tell us anything about its reliability or possible hiccups? I know, u've mentioned the echo issues, and about how solid the build is, do you foresee anything that could cause reliability concerns.

Worried,
    Woon Hong
  5.    #105  
    woonhong

Superb question! Actually a $64,000 question. I believe that Handspring learned a great deal from the 180-270-300 Series of Treo's and have proactively incorporated that knowledge, learning and wisdom into the 600.

All I can say is that I was really surprised at the level of self-awareness that Handspring exhibited when it came to reliability and possible hiccups. They really seem to be on top of it.

I have always been an early adopter of technology and as such there is always that price you pay. It is either Play Know, and Pay Later or Pay Know and Play Later.

Because of the profound implications of Treo 600 I would much rather play know and if I end up paying later so be it. I actually want to buy the Treo 600 and have it be obsolete in six months, because if that happens, it will mean the replacement is that much better.

Jake

Thanks for the great review Jake! Truly inspired! I can't wait for the new Treo 600!

Two questions:

1) Mac OS support
    My friend has a Treo 300 and I noticed that the software doesn't seem very Mac friendly. Do you know if Handspring is going to offer more support for Mac users with the Treo 600? (by the way, the new PowerMac G5 is sooo incredible!)

2) SIM Cards
    I frequently travel to Europe and Asia and have to carry two phones, since my Sprint CDMA phone doesn't use SIM cards. Will the Treo 600 GSM version allow me to change out SIM cards on the fly when I'm on the road?

It seems that phones in Europe and Asia are so much more advanced than those offered in the U.S. FINALLY, I think the Treo 600 is going to change all that!

By the way, I love using the SIM cards, and here are my top reasons:

1) Instead of paying expensive roaming fees when you travel in another country, you can just pick up a local SIM card at any store. All you have to do is buy a recharge card to add more minutes after you use up all your calling time.

Of course, you can still just roam if you want to, but at least you have the OPTION to have a cheaper local number.

2) If your phone battery runs out, you can just temporarily swap your SIM card into your friend's phone so you can access all the numbers on your SIM card and make that one, all important phone call. Sooo damn convenient!

3) You can have as many different phone numbers as you want. All you have to do is carry one phone, and your SIM cards wherever you go.

Being able to use SIM cards, alone, is enough to make me switch from Sprint just so that I can get the GSM version. I don't understand why it has to be such a pain in the *** in the States??

Thanks again Jake! You da MAN!
  7.    #107  
    RayUSA

My pleasure!!! Thank you for your kind words.

1.) I don’t know about Mac support, but I would imagine they would!?!?

2.) I am not certain but I believe so. The SIM door was so well designed and sooo cool looking. I have yet to see a picture on the web of a Treo 600 with the SIM door, but the one I saw definitely had it. It was parallel to the SDIO slot and almost invisible.

Ray, you made a brilliant and profound observation when you said:

"It seems that phones in Europe and Asia are so much more advanced than those offered in the U.S. FINALLY, I think the Treo 600 is going to change all that!"

I guess in the final analysis there is something to be said for Yankee ingenuity.

Cheers!
    Jake

Originally posted by RayUSA
    ...snip...It seems that phones in Europe and Asia are so much more advanced than those offered in the U.S. FINALLY, I think the Treo 600 is going to change all that!...snip...
    You are soooo right about this. As a technology leader the U.S. marketplace should be embarrassed. We have the technology, but too many people are fighting over how they can make the most money exploiting the technology.

The same free enterprise market that makes the U.S. great, is also a handicap, in a sense.

When I look at countries like Finland where the cell phone is as commonly used as an ATM card, I'm inspired by what is possible...but I'm also underwhelmed by the lack of application in the U.S.

In Europe, people use cell phones to buy items from vending machines. They don't even bother with coins. That's the kind of innovation and pervasiveness that cell/smart phones have come to...just not here.

Some day...I suppose.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Nice article, Jake. I'm sure Handspring is jumping for joy after reading your article. Afterall, the hot buzz and positive comments of upcoming products leads to sales!

I hope there will be enough units to go around. Backorders would kill the momentum. Wouldn't it be great (and a surprise too) if the product actually came out a month early?

I like my Treo 270....I'm looking forward to the Treo 600!
    Million Dollar Bills, anyone?

<a href="http://www.millionbill.com">www.MillionBill.com</a>
    I know this is a very minor detail, but the term "sheik" should be "chic".

"It is so indescribably beautiful…So Simple…So Elegant...So utterly Sheik...So Cary Grant."

The article/review/rave was very entertaining and well-written. I CANNOT WAIT until I get my hands on my own Treo 600!!!

Originally posted by RayUSA
    Being able to use SIM cards, alone, is enough to make me switch from Sprint just so that I can get the GSM version. I don't understand why it has to be such a pain in the *** in the States??
    Why haven't you used a GSM provider in the States like T-Mobile or AT&T and Cingular in some markets? You don't need the the 600 for that; just a world GSM phone, prefereably tri-band. I use my Treo 270 when I travel overseas with local SIM cards.
  12.    #112  
    jimbear

Actually you are right it is chic. But I meant it to be sheik in the sense that the Treo 600 is romantically alluring in an alpha-male leadership masculine way. Kinda like Cary Grant.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary here are the two meanings. What do you think?

sheik also sheikh (sh¶k, sh³k) n. 1. Islam. a. A religious official. b. A leader of an Arab family or village. c. Used as a form of address for such an official or leader. 2. sheik. Slang. A romantically alluring man. [Arabic šayh, old man, chief, from š³ha, to be old.]

chic (sh¶k) adj. chic·er, chic·est. 1. Conforming to the current fashion; stylish: chic clothes; a chic boutique. 2. Adopting or setting current fashions and styles; sophisticated: chic, well-dressed young executives. See Synonyms at fashionable. --chic n. 1. The quality or state of being stylish; fashionableness. 2. Sophistication in dress and manner; elegance. [French, probably from German Schick, skill, fitness, elegance, from Middle High German (sich) schicken, to outfit (oneself); fit in.] --chic“ly adv. --chic“ness n.

Being or in accordance with the current fashion:
    a. smart
    b. fashionable
    c. modish
    d. stylish

¤ IBM unveils ViaVoice II for Windows, a revolutionary new line of voice recognition software that, the company boasts, makes talking to your computer easier, faster, and "more a curate than ever beef *****."
    Last edited by RayUSA; 07/04/2003 at 03:13 AM.
    Originally posted by silverado

Why haven't you used a GSM provider in the States like T-Mobile or AT&T and Cingular in some markets? You don't need the the 600 for that; just a world GSM phone, prefereably tri-band. I use my Treo 270 when I travel overseas with local SIM cards.
    Good point Silverado! I was actually with Cingular for awhile, but wasn't satisfied with their coverage. Don't know what made me pick Sprint... I guess I've been ready for the switch back to GSM for awhile now though... (hopefully with AT&T now that they are Treo friendly) and what better way to switch than with a Treo 600 GSM! Giddyup!

Happy 4th of July everybody!
    Last edited by RayUSA; 07/04/2003 at 03:28 PM.
    My wishlist and some thoughts on these future models...

It was said B4, I think initial camera should have been 1.5M or above, for Print ability quality (after all, in PDA you have other options then just MMS).
    I hope the camera saving method is quick, I would suggest several keys, each enabling a diffrent save mode (High-Res save, MMS, directly attach to E-Mail ...) - after all getting a menu while wishing to capture quickly is not the best option.

Should we expect PDA OCR applications now? - Think about that !!!

Voice Dialing is a key feature in my point of view, just after that Car-Hands-Free-Set.
    Speaking of that, I would settale with a cheply priced adaptor to common cell companies Car-Hands-Free-Sets (for instance Nokia), as the power in numbers makes those much cheaper + why replace the one you currently have installed.
    *As Jake stated, it should have additional headset jack to connect to Car sound system.
    * An option for Radio/Tape/MP3 volume decrease on incoming call will be great.

I wonder about the T600 Vibrating quality - Have you checked that JakeE ? (Power vs. Noise)
    And was wondering if this time the Vibration tempo can be controled - I am really sick of jumping evry time my T180 pops a silent reminder, thinking I have got an incoming call - there should be a way to set them differently !

I am very pleased with described product quality, and hope this time HS will also take same measures ensuring all additional products are of the same quality (for instance - High quality Earpiece with Mute / Skip and LCD disply option like any walkkman these days)

Improved SIM manipulation is a must - I actually though I would be able to copy SIM content using my T180, and was very disapointed to see, that when I move my SIM to another unit, my last calls are not updated, not to mention it is very hard to copy contacts to it, or copy it's whole content to a temp SIM used while I am abroad.(+Integrate Search etc., as in any normal cell)

SMS by groups should be trivial.

Allow extra text display in phone numbers, so I can diff. between 3 diffrent work ext. without going into edit mode.

Allow Extra digits auto dialing without intervention (by option)

Configurable area extention, and emergency numbers.

Replaceable plastic cover would be nice (to change on diff mood, and allow print of foreign fonts)

Allow periodic purge of Call history, SMS etc. + allow backup and view on PC.

Finally, I hope HS will have closer relations with cell providers outside the US, so we too can enjoy lower prices.
    Last edited by halperin; 07/06/2003 at 05:53 AM.
    Originally posted by halperin
    (after all, in PDA you have other options then just MMS)
    but mms is what the network operators are most interested in because it generates extra cash for me.

Still, a high rez camera would be nice. Actually, any kind of camera would be cool, now that I think about it...

Should we expect PDA OCR applications now? - Think about that !!!
    if you own a Nokia Series 60 phone (7650, 3650) OCR is already here. At least there is an API from GaviTec that let's you do OCR and barcode recognition on a Series 60 phone. If Handspring is making the APIs for their camera available to the public it might as well happen on the treo as well. I think the barcode recognition would be even more usefull that OCR. Can you imagine going through your shop and ordering new stuff online by just scanning the barcode with your treo600?

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
  17.    #117  
    halperin

Thank you for your kind compliment.

You said, "I hope the camera saving method is quick, I would suggest several keys, each enabling a diffrent save mode (High-Res save, MMS, directly attach to E-Mail ...) - after all getting a menu while wishing to capture quickly is not the best option."

Brillant idea!

"Should we expect PDA OCR applications now? - Think about that !!!"

Another brilliant idea!

Voice dialing would also be cool.

I would like to see a hands-free solution for MP3 music where you simply click the treo in the cradle, and do not have to plug in a headset jack. I would just be in heaven with such a feature.

I did not check out the vibrating aspect of the ringer, but I can tell you I would love to see the Treo 600 be able to use MP3 for ringtones. That way when I am in a bookstore, I can have Austin Powers scream, "Yeah baby. Groovy Baby, Smashing Baby. Yeah. Oh Behave. Shagadelic Baby." Just kidding, but not really

Man the web is so cool. Think about it? One guy chimes in from Isreal, and then a guy from Germany, and Here I am in San Francisco. And we have UGlee in China. Talk about a global village. What a neat time to be alive!!!

Jake

Hey Jake

Yes, it sure is great, and the T600 will take it one step further...

Originally posted by JakeE

I would like to see a hands-free solution for MP3 music where you simply click the treo in the cradle, and do not have to plug in a headset jack. I would just be in heaven with such a feature.
    I agree with that - the cradle should have a jack which you can wire as you wish, either to the input Coax cables of the tape, or to a Voice Tape adapter (the kind that you slip instead of the tape for connecting your walkman voice), this way it can be always connected, and all you need to do is insert your Treo into cradle.

This brings Me to another thing I assume HS has missed -
    In normal cell phones, you can assign diffrent usage profiles according to your current add-on.
    For instance, backlight => ON, while in Car Cradle.
    or Silent while using hands-free set ......

The thing is, and it's not that I am not an HS fan, but they seem to be forgetting those "cell trivial" issues - That's why I have once prayed Sony would buy them - I mean Sony just swims in this proper finish field (though they are probably too big now, to recall that one section in Sony is doing cell phones and the other is doing greatest PDA, and if they would only meet.....)

I just hope HS will take the time going over several of the common cell phones (Nokia, Ericsson, Hyunday, Motorola), check each of their options, and notice these trivial issues - I mean, in some cases there is no need to reinvent the wheel.
    I was just doing some thinking about OCR, and all I can say is fantastic idea !!!

I can just imagine a palm app that allows you to take a snapshot of a business card, and then automaticly fills out all the contact info in your address book. I took a snapshot of my own business card at 640 X 480, and there is plenty of resolution to do the recognition.

I'm not a programmer, but I hope someone who is also thinks this is a cool idea.
  20.    #120  
    halperin:

I agree, the profile idea makes a lot of sense.

ComicMasta:

That would be soo coool! If I was designing such an app I would set it up so that after it OCRs the data it keeps the photo of the business card in a special file, so that if the OCR was not 100% accurate you could go back and look at it later.

It is amazing how many great ideas people in this forum have. I hope Handspring is listening!?!?!

Jake