Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by nrosser

You should probably know that the Palm OS doesn't use the concept of 'open' and 'close' programs per se - you can basically switch around from program to program at will, without having to open and/or close anything
    Didn't I read somewhere that Palm OS 6 will have "multi-threading" Isn't that the ability to keep more than one program open at a time? Sounds like that would be just the ticket. Guess we'll have to wait and see if the T600 has flashable ROM and is upgradeable to OS6
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    JakeE,

Your either completely tapped or thr 600 is all that and a bag of chips...

I happen to think the latter is true... (and the previous being a close second). It is nice to see that I am not alone in this communicator world. I always fought the seperate PDA, Phone model. I'll replace the 180 with this. Handspring had me with a 180/270 form factor and an SD slot. I believe they exceeded my expectations. Any word on the upgrade details? When? $?

I remember when HS offered a $300 Treo 270 upgrade for the VisorPhone owners and I boc'ed at it. Big mistake. But I believe the 600 is what I have been waiting for.

:shortcut:
  3.    #63  
    Mgauss

Actually in college I majored in chasing beautiful girls.

For whatever it is worth I am just an extremely passionate man. It does not matter if it is a Treo 600 or my woman. Either way I give it 100%. Excellence is the only thing worth pursuing in this world. Didn’t they teach you that at MIT?

j$hort

Interesting use of metaphor.

I have no idea about upgrade info, price or timeframe. Sorry.

I realize my review and following comments were extensive but there are two reasons for this:

1. In case you didn't notice, I am completely blown away with the Treo 600. Spending time with it in person was a mind-bending experience. Whether most people realize it or not, IT IS what we have ALL been waiting for. I believe in many ways it represents the shape of things to come. I believe handheld computers are going to be more important than desktop and laptop computers in the future. The reason being that you carry your handheld PDA everywhere you go. My Treo is by my side 24/7/365. With the advent of the Treo 600 the usefulness will increase exponentially.

2. Most reviews I read are half-baked at best. They always seem to leave me with even more questions. I wanted to do a thorough job and leave no stone unturned. The Treo 600 is going to change all the rules of the game because it represents a major strategic inflection point in digital history.

The first time I used a computer when I was 12 years old I thought to myself, “what is the big deal with computers? What can I do with a computer?” After I used the first one I wondered if that was all there was? As computers evolved, I would always say to myself, what can this one do that the last one could not? My desktop is great and can do a lot, but with the Treo 600 it can do so many things so easily.

For everybody reading this: Once you hold a Treo 600 in your hand and use it, you will see why I am so passionate. It really is that great!
    Last edited by JakeE; 06/30/2003 at 10:38 PM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
  4. purpleX
    Passion could be fickle, and better devices are just around the corner.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I'm with you Jake.

I meant the "tapped" in a good way and share your elation (unfortunately vicariously).

I make a bunch of deals with myself based on the culture and technology of the day. O can honestly say I am the 1st one around my work to actually carry on a phone conversation with my PDA (Thank you VisorPhone). I'd get some funny looks for a while, but the merge of the 2 devices made sense to me. I hope the 600 will be as good as you report. For example, I plan to, by year's end, remove myself from this very desktop to perform my job anywhere. I require web access, phone, access to our network, etc. I don't mean telecommuting, I mean roaming about my home, work, anywhere to do my job (scratch that..life). To do "life". I can do that now with a laptop, cellphone, PDA. What has been difficult is finding the device to effectively do that. I think the Treo 600 is the closest thing I have seen yet to help me out.

No sweat on the upgrade deal, I didn't expect it just yet, but thought I would ask anyway.

I agree your approach to the review of this was superior to those I have read. Te others just went thru the motions, probably from a spec sheet and not so involved author. Your review was a breath of fresh air..ya know what I mean?
  6.    #66  
    j$hort

I know EXACTLY what you mean!

Thank you for your kind words!

Based on your personal criterea I think the Treo 600 will be perfect for you.

This is pure conjecture, but I would imagine Handspring or Palm would offer a $50-$100 discout on upgrading to the new treo and I would further imagine based on their past practices they would not require you to send in your old Treo...just the serial number. I have not heard this anywhere, I am just guessing.

I think the one thing that is really going to change everything is the ability to do everything with one hand...actually your thumb. The way they designed the 600 you can do EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING with just your thumb. You are really going to trip when see how the new OS and UI work!!!

Cheers!
    Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 06/30/2003 at 07:24 PM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

JakeE, in one of your previous posts you mentioned that you printed out a picture that you took with the Treo 600. Do you still have that image file? If so, could you post it or send it to me via email? I'm very curious as to how good the picture quality of their camera will be. Thanks,

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Curious why someone would want to use MMS with the Treo 600 when they can save it, fire up treomail, and send it via email? Presuming Sprint and Verizon still have unlimited data plans, this is what I'll do on the presumably rare instances I want to send a pic in real time.
    SMS and MMS represent a technology and application that is intended for different user and device types, and for a different purpose than e-mail. Not every person (in fact, very few, in the grand scheme of things) has an e-mail client on their mobile device. SMS is used to text message, since e-mail wasn't possible. MMS is used in much the same fashion - since the masses don't have mail clients to send media (pictures) with, let's develop a thin technology that will still allow the rapid and simple sharing of pics and such.

We geekos with our Treos are unique in the big picture (along with our fellow geek brethren, the Danger Hiptop-ers and similar devices), so while we will have an option with the 600 to take a picture and send it via a client app like TreoMail/SnapperMail/whatever Mail, 95% of the world won't. Thus the proliferation of SMS now, and shortly MMS.

As to why you'd choose to use MMS vs a mail client to send pics - well, hmm...maybe sending a pic to a cell phone requires MMS? I'm just guessing (having never used MMS), but that's probably one reason. There are more, I'm sure...
  10.    #70  
    Scott R:

I knew this question was coming. I would love to post the pics but I need to check first to make sure it is o.k.

I will look in to it and as soon as I find out I will let you know.

-----------------------

rwilson290:

I am not that familiar with MMS. I think they set it up so that it is quick and easy? Unlike a regular digital camera the Treo prompts you after you have taken a picture by asking you if you want to save, send or delete it. I assume that it defaults to MMS if you choose send? Maybe it gives you both options?

Actually now that I think about it, it makes more sense to send it via MMS becuase if you send it as an attatchment in a normal email you have to rememeber what you named the image, and you would probably have to take the additional step of navigating to it, which as you know for the average bear can be confusing and time consuming.

I imagine they are trying to make it as simple as possible.

Do you think that Sprint will charge extra for sending images via MMS if you have the unlimited plan?
    Last edited by JakeE; 06/30/2003 at 10:20 PM.

Jake, passion is contagious. I love passionate people. It reinforces conviction. It allows one to speak and write with authority. It invites investigation, draws people to examine information presented.

I believe in passion. Life without it would be drudgery.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    As to why you'd choose to use MMS vs a mail client to send pics - well, hmm...maybe sending a pic to a cell phone requires MMS? I'm just guessing (having never used MMS), but that's probably one reason. There are more, I'm sure...
    here in Germany network providers are working hard on ways to make MMS more acceptable for the phone users. For example, they introduced a service where an MMS picture can be send as a post card to any address. And during CeBIT in Hannover I was able to send pictures made by a Nokia 3650 to an email account through some MMS gateway of T-Mobile. That means MMS is connecting a lot of different delivery methods if your operator puts some thought into it and offers those services.

And why would they do that? Because MMS is really expensive compared to the rest. By offering those different MMS services network operators can generate more cash which in turn could mean that they offer the mobile device itself for a higher dicounted price if it has a camera...

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    JakeE:
    I'm hoping the Serial # is all that is needed for the deal and I agree with your assessment. $100 or so and a serial #, keep the Treo 180 (which I bought off ebay for $100). I don't mind paying $400 or $500 for a device that can do it all. Honestly the only thing that has me guessing is the 160x160 screen resolution issue. I taking your word that it is good enough. I'd like to see some battery longevity test results between the hi-res and lo-res.
    The removable battery is not a big deal to me. Geeez, I can't think of anything else I would need. SD covers alot of ground, MP3, Speakerphone, Form Factor..Damn, I'm gonna need some help...

PurpleX:

I'm gonna have to call you on the "better devices are just around the corner" remark. This could be said about anything at anytime. We are not around the corner, we are here. That being said, I have a question. This is for all readers to chime in on. Maybe JakeE can assist and confirm/deny any capabilities being the one who has actually used the device.

Question: What would you have changed (if you had absolute power to do so) about the 600 to make it a better device?
    I think that the phone is still too fat. Looking at all the pictures, there is barely a difference in the wideness of the Treo 600 in of the 300. When I first used my Treo 300 at my church, my friends were like, "Dang that phone is fat" as in, man, get a slimmer phone, that thing is ugly! I feel this is still the feeling people will feel when they see you use the 600. It is still to fat. But I think Jeff Hawkins is heading in the right direction with the form factor with making it more cell phone-like. However, it still needs to be shaved down more, to, it possible, 2.1 inches wide...this would mean sacrificing the width of the lcd screen, but oh well, perhaps figure out a way to make it longer. Because right now, the 600 was made taller, yet the screen is shorter! Mistake #2. The top earpiece portion uses up too much vertical space. They could have figured out a way to keep the same vertical height of the screen as in the 300.

Other most important changes in the next future Treos are a 320x320 resolution screen, so I can actually read the streets on mapquest when I look up directions, an even faster processor and connection (this will always be ever-improving) since now with the added Java, the web will be just as slow as the 300, dont think it will be faster. That and the form factor issues, and it will be close to perfect.
    I think that the phone is still too fat. Looking at all the pictures, there is barely a difference in the wideness of the Treo 600 in of the 300. When I first used my Treo 300 at my church, my friends were like, "Dang that phone is fat" as in, man, get a slimmer phone, that thing is ugly! I feel this is still the feeling people will feel when they see you use the 600. It is still to fat. But I think Jeff Hawkins is heading in the right direction with the form factor with making it more cell phone-like. However, it still needs to be shaved down more, to, it possible, 2.1 inches wide...this would mean sacrificing the width of the lcd screen, but oh well, perhaps figure out a way to make it longer. Because right now, the 600 was made taller, yet the screen is shorter! Mistake #2. The top earpiece portion uses up too much vertical space. They could have figured out a way to keep the same vertical height of the screen as in the 300.

Other most important changes in the next future Treos are a 320x320 resolution screen, so I can actually read the streets on mapquest when I look up directions, an even faster processor and connection (this will always be ever-improving) since now with the added Java, the web will be just as slow as the 300, dont think it will be faster. That and the form factor issues, and it will be close to perfect.
    Originally posted by josephtse
    I think that the phone is still too fat....Since now with the added Java, the web will be just as slow as the 300, dont think it will be faster. That and the form factor issues, and it will be close to perfect.
    A phone with a comfortable PDA component will never have the width of a "normal" phone. If you want a compact phone, get one. If your friends don't approve of your phone, either ignore them, get a new phone or get new friends.
    As for the Java, you are mistaken. First, the new Blazer will not support java. It will support javascript. Completely different. Second, the mere existence of java support (if it were there) wouldn't slow down browsing at all because the java code is only invoked when needed. The same goes for a PC. Back in the day when JVMs were clunky and slow relative to overall PC performance, a java applet would noticeably slow down a page's rendering. If there was no java applet, nothing would be affected. So I think you are definitely going to see a huge rendering benefit with the new processor.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Replying to the Pictures on cell phones thing, I originally thought it was really dumb too. I figured, who the heck is going to use that shotty camera to take pictures?

Now that I have a P800 with a camera, I think its awesome. I used it first to take pictures of my friends and family so I'd have a picture phonebook. The second cool thing is using it to take impromptu pictures of dumb stuff. I had a great time with it one night during heavy drinking.

Joe
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Gotta side with KRamsauer on this one. I'll bet the same friends would say hey that's an awfully small PDA your using to add your appointments in if they saw you doing that with something smaller than the 600. Fact is, this device is a communicator. I believe that Handsprnig could easily follow the crowd and make a phone with an ultra small screen and many functions if not more than current smartphones, but there is such a thing as a screen that is too small. I am a little skeptical about a screen that is smaller than a treo 180/270 screen. Anyone got the specs on the physical size of the 600 screen?
    JAKE -- THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTFUL REVIEW OF THE 600

I USE A HEADSET WITH MY TREO --(THE SKULLCANDY W/DUAL PLUGS) -- AND MY BIGGEST GRIPE IS NOT RECEIVING ANY AUDIO NOTIFICATION OR WARNING IN THE HEADSET WHEN I GET A CALL -- (THE RING IS NOT LOUD ENOUGH FOR ME TO KNOW I'VE A CALL MANY TIMES)

DO YOU KNOW IF THE 600 CORRECTS THIS MAJOR FLAW -- DOES IT BEEP IN THE HEADSET WHEN A CALL COMES IN ???

THANKS MUCH JAKE !
  20.    #80  
    J$short

You asked : “Question: What would you have changed (if you had absolute power to do so) about the 600 to make it a better device?”

Since I am a passionate designer I think about things like this a lot.

Thomas Edison, the greatest designer-inventor in the history of the world, brought us many incredible products that changed our world for the better: He invented the light bulb, the phonograph, the moving picture, the battery, the stock tickertape and wired New York as the first city on earth with electricity. One of the companies he founded was General Electric which remains to this day one of the most successful companies in History. Thomas Edison had a philosophy he lived by. He said, “There is a way to do it better—find it."

J$short, I absolutely believe based on what the Handspring team had to work with they did an incredible job and they found a much better way to do it! I think they made the perfect tradeoffs and I would not have changed a thing.

The thing that excites me so much is what they will be able to do in the future. I think it will be amazing.

If you are asking what I would like to see in the next version:
    -A 320x320 Screen.
    -A 2 Mega pixel or higher camera with full motion video. I would also like to see the camera be able to be rotated 360 degrees. (I discussed this in greater detail earlier in this thread)
    -512MB of internal storage.
    -GPS Navigation built in.
    -Blue tooth and WiFi built in
    -MP3 voice memo and telephone conversation recording built in.
    -Voice Navigation and simple but accurate speech recognition
    -A built in TV, and FM tuner
    -Complete Mpeg 4 video playback ability. (if it does not already have it)
    -Ability to play music through the High-end car kit.
    -Slightly slimmer unit and lighter weight.
    -Pen built into stylus standard.
    --------------------------------------
    josephtse

I disagree and agree with you. The treo 600 is NOT too fat. It could be a little skinnier, but it is VERY close to ideal.

Before I saw the Treo 600 in person I thought maybe the top earpiece portion used up to much vertical space. After using the 600 I realize I was wrong. You need something to rest your ear against so it does not hit the screen by mistake.

--------------------------

KRamsauer

I agree with everything you say and I can only add that by eliminating the proxy server I think it makes the surfing the web faster and better looking. Plus being able to use the 5 way navigation button to hit the hypertext links without your finger or a stylus is trick.

-------------------------------
    quake97

I agree with you. The camera on board is absolutely invaluable.

---------------------------
    j$hort

I don’t know the exact size of the 600 screen but I never once thought it was too small. You know it is that thing where a smaller TV looks more detailed than a large one just because the pixels are smaller and closer together.

-----------------------------------
    BARYE

You are very welcome! Thank you for your kind words. I wish I could answer you question but I do not know. I think your idea for the headset to beep makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by JakeE; 07/01/2003 at 11:39 PM.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast