Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    andreas

I stand corrected. When I received the presentation I was so overwhelmed my head was spinning. I do remember MMS but I believe since I had no frame of reference I forgot.

andreas,

What do you think about the Treo 600. Have you got any feedback from Treo fans in Germany?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Originally posted by JakeE
    andreas,

What do you think about the Treo 600. Have you got any feedback from Treo fans in Germany?
    I think the treo 600 is very promising. ..

Actually, that's an understatement but if I use words that express how I really feel about the new treo it'll be even harder for me to wait until it comes out

Regarding the treo fans, I don't really know what they think. I haven't read alot of German comments about it, yet. But I expect the new treo to generate a whole lot of interest when it finally hits the market. Hopefully, this time Handspring will get a network provider to carry it...

andreas
    ps: edited (some) typos...
    Last edited by treopolis; 06/29/2003 at 09:31 AM.
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    Jake,

Why use a hack? To get the time all I have to do is press and hold the third button for a sec or two and the time pop ups. Release the button and the time goes away and you are back to what ever you were doing. Don't have to switch to the phone app screen and then back. It really does work well.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I use the ClockPop hack too and it's pretty convenient.

The only other hack I use is McPhling and only for a single user-defined key combination: Option-Period to flip to the previous application. I find it to be a really nice way to flip back and forth between 2 apps. Kinda like Alt-Tab in windows but only between 2 apps.
    Clock Pop and Co Launcher used on the same button make for a powerful combination. I don't like Switcheroo because it requires two presses to activate. Co Launcher requires one and it rocks.
    the only other hack i have is switcheroo . I don't mind the two presses.

Do we know what hacks will work with the os 5 and which ones wont?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    JakeE -

Did you notice a speaker phone function ? This is something that drew quite a bit of criticism in the beginning.

Does it have this function ? If so, have they rectified the volume problems ?
    Originally posted by KKenna
    JakeE -

Did you notice a speaker phone function ? This is something that drew quite a bit of criticism in the beginning.

It does have a speakerphone, utilizing a second speaker on the back of the unit.
  9.    #49  
    KKenna

As KRamsauer said, it does have a speakerphone. I did not use the speakerphone on the Treo 600 myself, but I tried being on the other end with someone talking on a Treo 600 with the speakerphone turned on—and I was shocked at how good it sounded. Not only was there no "echo" but I could not even tell they were on a speakerphone?!?! It really sounded great.

I did ask about the echo problem that the previous Treo’s had. I asked if the issue had been resolved so it would not be a challenge in the 600. I asked if the echo was the result of a hardware challenge or a carrier challenge. The answer I received was that they did not know, but that there was an update for the 300 and that should take care of it.

This is kind of strange because I have a 270 and I did not ask about it. I just did not dig any deeper because I was much more interested in checking out the 600. I was talking and checking out the 600 at the same time.

This is conjecture on my behalf, but I believe that they probably went out of their way to make certain the speakerphone on the 600 is bulletproof—especially with the addition of the rear speaker.

In other words, the old Treo’s used the ear speaker for the speakerphone—it simply turned up the volume. The Treo 600 uses a second speaker located on the back of the phone. It kind of makes sense that if the original Treo’s had a reverberation challenge it was because the microphone was so close to the speaker?

I also had my very high quality Plantronics headset with me when I checked out the 600. I have an adapter for it so that I can switch it from my office phone to a portable. No matter what I tried to do I could never get it to work with my Treo 270. I tried purchasing a Nokia adapter but it would not work, so I hired a phone adapter engineer to custom make an adapter for me. After many hours of evaluation he said it was not possible because of the way it was engineered.

The Treo 600 has a standard headphone three ring jack instead of that goofy Nokia four ring. I called my assistant using my Plantronics headset, but she did not answer. The headset definitely sounded good when it was ringing and I listened to the voicemail message which was clear.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

I am in love too, without even having held the fascinating new Treo 600.

As an academic emergency physician and small-time real estate developer, I cannot imagine my world with my 270. Now, with the thought of the new and improved 600, I am churning with anticipation. I have to agree with many of the previous threads on the utility of the Treos. I see students and residents that I supervise in the Emergency Department that spend so much time "playing" with their PDAs. I like to make the distinction that all those big, pretty devices are more like expensive toys. Lots of cool things to show off, but little that makes you more productive. Treo owners clearly posses true - TOOLS! It still blows me away that many PDA owners still scribble notes onto scrap paper! I guess we should feel lucky we choose (naturally) to enter the info directly into our Treos. We do so for many reasons but most notably b/c it is easier than finding a piece of scrap paper, and we know the info can be retrieved with 100% certainly!

I love the current HS belt clip too. I can with one hand reach down (right at the bedside if necessary), unload the 270 from the clip, flip the lid with one hand (of course), and access a patient database, check the side effects of a new med a patient is on, quickly review a rare condition, or take a note. With the new HS Treo emphasis on navigation and data manipulation using a solitary thumb, smaller more physiologic form, new powerful battery, and expandability -- I mean -- FORGET ABOUT IT!!!! I find myself feeling naked if I don't have the Treo with me 24/7. It has become my peripheral brain, Star Trek communicator and tri-corder all rolled into one.

And can you imagine accessing the web with high(er) speed and a java script capable browser ANYWHERE there is a wifi network (my home, Denver Intl Airport, many hospitals, etc etc). The world will be at your fingertips!!

Bill Gates thinks the next big thing is handwriting recognition and tablet computing. I believe the Treo 600 gives the user all that AND a phone - right in your pocket!! As pointed out by others, it is one of the most significant technological TOOLS in recent times -- I think the most significant tool, since the non-desktop computer. Hands-down.

The idea of a nice car kit is intriguing. Has anyone heard anything about a belt clip (or other accessories) for the 600?
    >Macastat<

www.MacaSTAT.com
    From the Treo 90 to the Pre Plus
    Originally posted by KKenna
    JakeE -

Several of my friends have noted the speakerphone the best feature of the Treo 300. They said that its by far more clear than any other speaker phones they've used and put it on par with those star-trek conference room speaker phones. I'm in shock that there would be any critism on this feature. Maybe it's because I didn't get my Treo 300 the first day it came out.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Long (too long) emotional post.

Sounds like they've addressed many of the hardware issues (hope the new screen can be seen in daylight in the car....with polaroid sunglasses on (thank you).....

........but its the software that makes practical everyday stuff that makes the thing easy to use and my Treo 300 has a lot of annoying software issues that need fixing......

PLEASE, PLEASE, I hope the software will return me to the contact I just dialed (when I don't get them on the first number) so I can dial another of their numbers .....WITHOUT RETURNING ME TO THE DIAL SCRREN FIRST AND FORCING ME TO LOOK UP THE CONTACT ALL OVER AGAIN FROM SCRATCH.

HOPE I CAN CLOSE ONE PROGRAM AND BE IN THE PROGRAM I LAST OPENED BEFORE IT.

HOPE THE ANNOYING KEY COMBINATIONS FOR CAPITALS AND NUMBERS IS EASIER TO USE.

Warren C.
    Warren C.
    Obviously you're not that familiar with your Treo as yet. Check out the threads. Those software issues that you mentioned are either covered in your manual or specifically addressed by 3rd party software.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Been using my 300 for about six months.....but not aware of software fixes for the contact re-dialing issues. No fix given in the manual.

Are you sure you understand the issue I'm griping about???....

I've read a few discussions about this issue with answers that were plain wrong or had missed the point.

Please enlighten me....where's the frix for the annoying dialing issues. I'll like my 300 a lot better if I can fix it.

Warren C
    Warren C.
    Originally posted by Wchapman
    Been using my 300 for about six
    Are you sure you understand the issue I'm griping about???....

Please enlighten me....where's the frix for the annoying dialing issues. I'll like my 300 a lot better if I can fix it.

Warren C
    Hi Warren,

Probably not. Have you tried Finger Dial? Check them out at www.fingerclick.com

I used this to a problem similar to yours - i.e. gets me back to the last "contact file" searched and allows me to dial other numbers in that file. It also facilitates Company name searches instead of being limited to surnames only.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Originally posted by JakeE
    GearGoddes.

I believe the folks at handspring are moving as quickly as they can to get the product out the door. Hopefully we will see it before October.

Jake
    Jake - your review makes it sound so close to "shipping ready" so why wait until October for this beauty?
    I'm not sure if this have been discussed or not but with the 300 we were stuck with OS 3.5 without being able to update to any new versions. Will we be able to do so with the 600? I know it's going to ship with the newest version of Palm OS 5 but I'm just curious about being able to download and install any updates and fixes especially with OS 6 just around the corner.
  18.    #58  
    dstrauss

I can only speculate, but I think it has to do with the relative complexity of the device. So far as I could tell the Treo is both Evolutionary and Revolutionary. Everything has been tweaked and optimized.

I think that unlike some other companies, Handspring has a great deal of integrity and they want to make certain their new device is bulletproof before they let it out the door.

Once again, this is just my conjecture, but I believe Handspring realizes that the Treo 600 is their chance to really "steal the thunder" from the competition.

I further speculate that they recently revealed the Treo 600 to the world because their prototype form factor is complete. I think they are probably fine tuning small details at this stage as they prepare for production. I am not in high-tech, but I am in manufacturing and I would imagine that ramping up for production of a completely new device with ALL new parts is a major, major undertaking.

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record, but I have NEVER SEEN anything like the Treo 600. The fit and finish is amazing and otherworldly. It feels so solid and looks sooo cooool. I know this might sound weird, but it kind of sparkles when you look at it. Not in a bling bling kind of way, but more like a diamond. I think the sparkle vibe has to do with how bright the screen is and the blue backlighting on the top row of buttons.

For the last six months or so I have been dying of curiosity to see what the new Treo would look like. Right after the current Treo’s were announced, I saw a webcast where Jeff Hawkins said that he thought future generations would be smaller. I kept thinking, how can they make it smaller? Obviously they did it and it was worth the wait.

In a recent news article from CNETs News.com on June 17 a handspring employee was quoted: "It's been a real learning experience switching from the channel to carrier model," said Greg Shirai, director of handheld products at Handspring. "We're all looking for a secret sauce...Operationally we're a lot more savvy now, and we're finally at a point where we're able to customize a device more easily."
    http://news.com.com/2100-1041-1018376.html

I think it really was a race for the “secret sauce.” In my opinion the secret sauce was part form factor and part customizability. The customizability aspect speaks for itself. In my mind as a designer I think they absolutely nailed the form factor. It would be the equivalent of watching Tiger Woods hit a hole in one on a par 5 at 320 yards. It is that sweet!

Predator-1

As far as an upgrade path to 6.0 I have no idea. Since 6.0 may be around the corner it would make sense but I have no idea? Personally I am REALLY CURIOUS about what the next generation of Palms is going to look like.

Think about it. Jeff Hawkins and everybody from Handspring is moving to Palm and Jeff is going to be the head of designing the future products. I think Handspring was always as a disadvantage because they did not have the kind of economic resources Palm has. Once they role Handspring up into Palm they probably will have two main categories of product. A less expensive line catering toward people with minimum requirements and they will probably have a premium line called the Treo which will be geared toward professionals.

I think with the exponential nature of technological advance that future Treo’s are probably going to be insanely cool. Don’t forget that Jeff Hawkins background is in Artificial Intellegence.
    Last edited by JakeE; 06/30/2003 at 02:09 AM.

Regarding your wish to close a program and return to the last open one -

You should probably know that the Palm OS doesn't use the concept of 'open' and 'close' programs per se - you can basically switch around from program to program at will, without having to open and/or close anything (I use 'switcheroo' - an awesome hack for that function). Yes, you can return the main launcher, but why do that if you don't have to? Just run a search at PalmGear on 'switcheroo', and you'll be off and running (of course, my understanding with Palm's OS5 is that hacks aren't supported, but yet maybe with the 600 we won't need something like Switcheroo, since all your apps can be available via the 'Favorites'-type speed dial keys).

I will agree with you, though, that I'd like to return to the contact dialed, in the event they don't answer (I'm sure Jeff H and the handspring gang had/have thought that out, and hopefully the 600 will address that in some way.).
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    When I was at MIT we never understood liberal arts majors.

Now I know what they become. They make love better to their 600 than I do to my wife.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast