Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by PHO
    Jake -

I read your interview, it was definatly colorful.

Question for you, pocket pc people, or anyone else. Has anyone gotten a successful streaming media on Sprint?

os 5has a media player and real player, and the pocket pc's do.

I haven't seen anyone talk about. Can you ask someone if they have tried this with the treo 600?

Caught cha!

2.    #22  
    shadowboxer

When you say "Caught cha!" I am not sure what you mean.

The phone I saw was a GSM phone and my Treo 270 is also GSM neither of which run on the Sprint network so I was not checking out streaming video. Is that what you meant?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Originally posted by JakeE
    I was just thinking about how the new Treo 600 will have a car kit. Would'nt it be cool if the cradle had a feed through the FM antena lead to your car strereo. That way you could listen to your MP3s through your car stereo on an FM channel you preset. That would be awsome!!! Handspring: are you listening?
    You can already do this now with the Digiana Wireless Audio Portable FM Linker. This is basically a tiny FM modulator that lets you broadcast to any FM receiver like a car stereo:

The Digiana AudiaX is one amazing device that lets you transmit the output from any portable audio device (MP3, MD, CD, etc) via any standard FM frequency, redirecting the audio signal to any FM receiver system within 2 metres, be it your car's audio system, or a boom box. Are you faced with the problem of wanting to connect your portable player to your vehicle, but can't because your vehicle does not have a cassette deck? AudiaX is the perfect solution to this problem! Powered by a single AAA battery, AudiaX is also a truly portable accessory that can have a variety of other uses. Connect AudiaX to your player at a party and transmit your favorite music collection to the boombox! This device will transmit on any of the 201 FM frequencies between 88.0 MHz ~ 108.0 MHz in 0.1 MHz steps.
    http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/audiax-...er-review.html

Here's some more pics of the Digiana w/various pda's:
    http://www.pdafrance.com/img/pdanews..._minitest4.JPG
    http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/images/audiax2.jpg

This is a nifty little solution to turn your Treo600 into a FM broadcaster, and it only costs $29 bucks to boot! However, what I would like to see in the future is headset OEM's integrate FM tuners into mobiles similarly to what Nokia has done in various models like the 6800, 3300. Integrating a FM modulator would be the next step similar to devices like the Neuros mp3 player. Now that would be an incredible device!

P.S. I still would want BT!! LOL!!!!!
  4.    #24  
    gfunkmagic

I was already aware of this device, but the reason I would never buy one is because it runs on batteries that only last eight hours. The last thing I want is to be a slave to batteries. If Handspring oversaw the implementation they could ensure the highest quality sound possible and the installer could hardwire it so it did not require a seperate battery source.

gfunkmagic: also I notice Samsung implemented an fm tuner in its upcoming Yepp 900. The Yepp 900 is like an iPod but it also plays WMA files and it has a built in fm brodcaster which is ingenious and I was thinking about getting one when they come out, but now that I think about it, and now that I am familiar with the Treo 600 I would rather not cary around two devices. The Treo 600 seems perfect.

You know another feature that would be cool is if the Treo600 had a GSM navigation system that you could also use in your car or when you were walking around. I think I read somewhere that they now have GSM chips that are the size of a dime.

Does anybody know if that is true, and what it would take to implement that feature?

And by the way, why does this discussion forum not have a spellchecking feature built in?

Thanks,

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 06/28/2003 at 02:05 AM.
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

gfunkmagic

I was already aware of this device, but the reason I would never buy one is because it runs on batteries that only last eight hours. The last thing I want is to be a slave to batteries. If Handspring oversaw the implementation they could ensure the highest quality sound possible and the installer could hardwire it so it did not require a seperate battery source.

gfunkmagic: also I notice Samsung implemented an fm tuner in its upcoming Yepp 900. The Yepp 900 is like an iPod but it also plays WMA files and it has a built in fm brodcaster which is ingenious and I was thinking about getting one when they come out, but now that I thing about it, and now that I am familiar with the Treo 600 I would rather not cary around two devices. The Treo 600 seems perfect.

You know another feature that would be cool is if the Treo600 had a GSM navigation system that you could also use in your car or when you were walking around. I think I read somewhere that they now have GSM chips that are the size of a dime.

Does anybody know if that is true, and what it would take to implement that feature?

And by the way, why does this discussion forum not have a spellchecking feature built in?

Thanks,

Jake
    Hmm...the Yepp 900 is an interesting mp3 player!

Also, you mean "GPS" navigation system, right? Anyway, there are several companies out there that are working on SD GPS modules like Matsu****a. If they can fit a GPS receiver on a SD card, then they should definitely be able to fit one into a mobile! Heck, Samsung has already done this with the SPH-M400!! That thing includes an integrated GPS reciever and TV tuner!

Anyway, I think the cdma version of the treo600 should be compatible with Sprint's future location services feature, slated for rollout sometime in the future. It uses both tower triangulation and GPS signals. The towers transmit your signal strength to a server that uses the GPS receiver on the tower as well as your signal strength to get a fix on your location. Sprint's E911 implementation is centered around the same technology, as are most other carriers. Hypothetically, this system should be compatible with various GPS-specific maps/apps available for PalmOS if a direct NMEA data feed from the Sprint server could be used by the application. There's a good explanation of the system here:

http://www.snaptrack.com/AtWork/sysdescription.html

"When a caller makes a location request, the wireless network sends the approximate location of the handset (generally the location of the closest cell site) to the location server. The location server then tells the handset which GPS satellites should be relevant for calculating its position. The handset then takes a reading of the proper GPS signals, calculates its distance from all satellites in view and sends this information back to the location server.

"SnapTrack's server software performs sophisticated error corrections and calculates the caller's latitude, longitude and altitude."
    Interestingly, the underlying technology does offer the option of full-blown GPS capability:

"SnapTrack's multimode technology offers additional functionality to the basic SmartServerTM architecture. The SnapCore system can work without assistance from the wireless network. In this mode, it operates similar to conventional GPS but with dramatically increased sensitivity."
    But there is no indication whatsoever that Sprint has incorporated, or intends to incorporate, this extended stand-alone-GPS functionality into Sprint phones. Too bad, too, because that "dramatically increased sensitivity" (over typical consumer GPSes) could come in handy...
    shadowboxer

Jake
    Sorry bout the confusion, Jake

What I caught was PHO making his first post on treocentral. We are (were?) loyal samsung i500 loyalists but have been frustrated by this ludicrous wait for this small but somewhat techno-dated phone and have been very intriqued by the technology of the upcoming T600. After lurking around here for some time, I caught hime posting his first post here!!!

-dale
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I was absolutely riveted reading about your experience with the 600. I cannot wait to own one!!!!!

Kirby
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    6/26/2003 Also, and thank God, they are also coming out with a high-end car kit that will allow you to charge the treo and use it hands free.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!!!
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    thanks jake! i got all giddy & light-headed while reading your review! where & when i can i feel up a 600? i wanna touch it now Now NOW!!!
  10.    #30  
    GearGoddes.

I believe the folks at handspring are moving as quickly as they can to get the product out the door. Hopefully we will see it before October.

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 06/28/2003 at 05:59 AM.

11. PHO
    shadowboxer

The phone I saw was a GSM phone and my Treo 270 is also GSM neither of which run on the Sprint network so I was not checking out streaming video. Is that what you meant?

Jake
    THanks for the answer on the streaming. IF you know of anyone, that could check that out, that would be great. That is the killer app for me and my business.

Shadow boxer was saying Caught Ya, because he, like I, are possible i500 defectors. Were looming over here from the smartphoneforums.com

And shadow has my favorite Signature.

ON a relevent note, if anyone knows anyone that has a PPC phone or anyone that can test a stream on sprint or verizon's network, that would be really appreciated.
    Hmm, Possible Treo Convert?
    JakeE great review, over the top and loving it.

In fact I identified with too much, Star Wars, Raiders, Mac you were describing my life!

Can't wait to get my hands on a Treo 600

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    dulan

Speaking of the Segway HT. I think it is super cool but at the same time kinda stupid. Americans are at an embarisingly high level of obesity and if I used a Segway I would probably gian too much wieght because I would never walk. Waliking is very good for you. Cavemen walked all over the place. If Cavemen used Segways, I am certain we would have gone the way of the neandrathols.
    Actually there is a guy who blogs about his experiences with the Segway and he has lost weight while using it. For some reason I thought it was a decent explanation at the time, but it basically amounts to him not stopping at starbucks on the way to work in the morning (maybe no cupholder) as he did with his car. In someplace like NYC or even Boston where I am though, I could see why it could be hit. For a lot of people it would replace the need for a car.
    You know Jake,

you are pretty darn good writer! I really enjoyed reading your review several times!

Supa-cool (my 3 yr olds word) times are ahead technology-wise. I am excited to be a part of it.

thanks for your insight and enthusiasm!

-dale
    Thanks for the very detail review, I really enjoyed it.

SO to turn on the pda, option and then push down the toggle thingy. Hmmmm, this might become annoying.

Wow, no need for a stylus. Hmmmm, this might be really good. Is it so skinny, that it doesn't have a reset pin included?

Did you happen to see if they have a pop up clock thingy? Is this part of os 5? I so, I guess I don't have to worry about the clock pop hack.

If yes, Then the only hack I have to worry about is switcheroo.

So, did you use it outside?

Can't wait to cet my unworthy hands on one.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Not to nitpick, but with the lead article of this thread becoming the lead story on TreoCentral (and thus appearing in all web searches for the Treo 600), is it time to to correct the spelling of "site" in the title? It didn't seem like an inteded pun to me.
  17.    #37  
    Felipe

I would like to thank you very much and everybody else for sharing your kind words about my review!!! I’m having a lot of fun, and I feel extremely privileged to be a part of digital history with such far-reaching profound positive implications!!!

If you think about it the advent of the Treo 600 really is a major piece of technological history in the making.

--------------------------------------------------------

The way you turn on the 600 (no pun intended, Silverado) is you hit the fourth app button (the app button on the far right side). The button turns on the screen and shows you the last screen you were on when you last turned it off. Then to turn off the keygaurd you push the center button on the four-way navigation button which if you think about it is really kind of a mouse.

In case you don't know, Keygaurd is a feature Handspring incorporated in to the Treo 600 so that you cannot inadvertently turn on the Treo while it is in your purse or pocket.

I don't think this method would become annoying at all, because when you are holding the 600 in your hand you can easily reach both buttons with your thumb. Remember the 600 is all about ease of operation and absolute one hand operation.

I can't remember exactly, but there is a different way to do the same thing. I think it is you hit the Option Key first and then the center input button on the four way Nav???
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Of course IT DOES HAVE a reset pin in the stylus. I have a stylus for my 270 that has a pen in it which I love. I like the pen in the stylus so that if I need to write something on a business card or leave a note for someone, I can because I have a pen with me. As much as I dig having a pen with me all the time I am not going to carry a regular pen around with me. In my mind the Treo 600 is a portable office.

With the 600 You can surf the web, send and receive email, MMS photos you took with the Treo 600 and for most people it replaces a laptop. Who wants to lug around a Eight pound piece of plastic that requires a briefcase just to carry it? The Power supply for my laptop alone weights more than the Treo 600!?!?!?

I think Handspring should make it so that their standard Stylus for the 600 comes with a pen built in. Doing so would make their brand that much more innovative and set it apart from the other mediocre brands. This is textbook Strategic Design and Marketing 101. Imagine if you bought a 600 and later realize it came standard with a pen in the stylus!!! Imagine Walt Mossberg writing a glowing review in the Wall Street Journal, where he says, "The Treo 600 is not only the most amazing PDA/phone but it even comes with a styling stylus that has a pen built into it!"

Plus it would make stylus replacement even more profitable for Handspring because they could charge more for replacement styluses. Instead of the value proposition opportunity of 3 for $10 for plain styluses, they could sell one for $8 and 3 for $20. What do you guys think? Would a stylus with a pen built in be a good idea?

Also as far as quality control and design control are concerned it would be highly beneficial for HandSpring. I bought a stylus replacment for my 270 that has a pen built into it. The problem was that the third party vendor that made the stylus made it with this goofy top that caused me to lose the stylus all the time. This was REALLY frustrating for me. I have to mail order this special stylus and it does not even fit the Treo properly.

If Handpring is too lazy ensure quality control by making and marketing their own accesories, at a minimum they should have a standards seal of approval that they issue to the vendor so that you know you can expect a quality experience. Handspring are you listening?

-----------------------------------------------------
    Pop up clock thingy? I don't know what you mean? Could you be more specific?
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Yes, I used it outside. On the one hand I was amazed at how great it looked and how visible everything was, but on the other hand, I was kind of thinking this is how it always should have been.
    You can't wait to get your hands on one? Me to! For some reason the thing I am looking most forward to is having a spy camera at my disposal 24/7/365. It is cool because I will NEVER have to worry about whether or not the batteries on my camera are about to run out like on my Canon 4 Mega Pixel Elph.

You know how in old spy movies the spy had one of those mini cameras, and he would go to a party at some tycoons’ house and then he would sneak into the library and find some top-secret document and start taking pictures? That is what I like most about the 600.

The absence of a flash on the 600 is actually great for spy shots because no one will know you have a camera. I remember I went to a furniture store because I was interested in purchasing some furniture from them. I brought my Canon Elph and took pictures so later when I got home I would be able to look at the pictures and analyze if it would work for me. I was taking pictures with the Elph and this person who worked in the store approaches me and says, "Excuse me sir, but we do not permit customers taking pictures in the store." Weaker than weak. Seriously. Give me a break!?!?!

But with the 600 it is soo cool because you could pretend you are on the phone and click away. The Treo takes images that are 640x480 which give you a descent amount of detail. I was actually curious so I printed out a picture I took with the 600 on high-quality photo paper. Unless you were really looking closely it looked good. 640x480 is one third of a Mega pixel. There is no question in my mind that future built in cameras will at a minimum reach 2 mega-pixels.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Also as previously mentioned in this thread the idea that I can use the Treo 600 as my main MP3 player is great. This way as somebody mentioned, you don't have to carry a separate MP3 player with you, and worry about making sure it is charged. One uber device is perfect.

----------------------------------------------

Another thing I can not seem to stop wondering about is wouldn’t it be cool if the camera on the Treo rotated 360 degrees? This way when you did not want to use it you could point it downward so it would face the body of the Treo and be completely protected. It could face the way the current one does for spy shots (not that I am trying to be deceptive, I just don’t want to call unnecessary attention to myself) , it could point straight up so you could take pictures of the ceiling or more importantly you could hold the Treo flat in your hands or put it on a table and really take spy shots. It would look like you were just typing an email. And if you were to flip the lens to face you it would be great for video conferencing while you hold the camera in your hand or when you are driving in your car, you could have the Treo in the car kit and video conference....very Austin Powers....Groovy Baby Yeah!!!!

Speaking of Austin Powers I keep thinking it would be so cool in the next movie if they could get Mick Jagger to be in the flick playing himself. Maybe Austin has to save Mick. I recently saw a picture of Mick’s 18 year old son; I think his name is David. He is the spitting image of his dad Mick. It would be cool if in the story Austin goes back to when Mick was starting up the Stones and his son could play Mick and then back to the future where Mick plays himself. If you think about it Mick is the epitome of what Austin kind of epitomizes.

Actually know that I thing about it the treo 600 is very Austin Powers. Imagine one painted psychedelic colors with Daisy stickers on the back....Shagadelic Baby, Yeah!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by JakeE; 07/11/2003 at 04:02 AM.

Jake,

I have an ipod which I love, but I find myself listening to certain playlist over and over again. I can see creating sd cards one playlist on it and switching from one card to another when I leave for the day.:-)

Clock pop up thingy: With the m100 series, Palm introduced a clock that would pop up when you held a certain button. It showed through the cover of the unit. To do the same thing on my treo (and previously on the prism) i used a hack called clock pop up.

Just wondering if the clock pop up thingy that was introduced in the m100 series is now standard. The treo is my only watch, would hate to have to buy a watch.

thanx for the info.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  19.    #39  
    Felipe,

The Treo 600 has a HIGHLY customizable start page. I'll try my best to describe it.

First, you can customize the background wallpaper by making it any photo you want.

Secondly, it displays the time and date.

It also has a feature so that when you are on the start page it has a graphic with four arrows (one up, one down, one left and one right) which correspond to the arrows on the four way navigation wheel. These are all shortcuts.

For instance, above the top arrow it may have the word "Favorites", bellow the down arrow it may have "Contacts". Next to the left arrow it may have "Camera" and next to the right arrow it may say "web." All you do is click the one you want on the four way navigation wheel and it goes there. So for instance it you turn on your Treo and then hit the center button on the four way navigation wheel it will go to your start page. You hit the left arrow and you are in the Camera app ready to take pictures.

I know what you are thinking, how do you take pictures? You guessed it! You simply hit the center button on the four way navigation wheel and viola! Then it asks you if you want to save the image or send it to someone via MMS.

So here is a likely scenario:

Your gal, Jamie Summers asks you to go to the grocery store and pick up some blah blah blahs. You are walking around with a shopping cart listening to your 70s playlist. You are listening to the song "Whenever I call you freind" by Kenny Loggins and Stevie Nicks. You can't figure out which blah blah blah you should get. You call her Jamie on her Treo 600. A Caller ID photograph of you pops up on her screen. But instead of it being a picture of you, it is a picture of the Cookie Monster. Jamie answer and says high sweetheart! You say, "I can't figure out which blah blah blahs to get? She tries to explain the right ones to you, but you can't figure it out. You quickly take a picture of the blah blah blah section and instantly SMS the picture to her. She says, "It is the ones in the blue box."

Also you can set up the Start page so that it will hide the arrow graphic with the names and just make the wallpaper photo take up more of the screen. Hitting the fourway buttons on the nav wheel will still launch apps but once you have memorized what they are you can take off the training wheels by making the arrows and text disappear. Even if you disappear the text and make the photo larger, it still keeps the time and the date.

Felipe , just for the heck of it, I have to ask why on your current Treo you have to use a hack to see what time it is? All you have to do is on your first speed dial page add a speed dial where in the name field you enter “&time” and it will display the time. You can also create one that says “&date” and it will display the date. You can also add in an actual phone number for the time and date so that when you click on it, it calls a pre specified number you entered in. Does this help?

By the wayFelipe, does your iPod have a built in speaker?

I absolutely agree with you and was thinking the same thing about playlists. I have been experiencing ipod envy for some time now, but about a third of my music is in WMA. I was thinking maybe I should get that software that allows you to convert WMAs to MP3.

I was also thinking though that I don't really need to carry around three hundred albums with me because like you I primarily listen to playlists. Currently you can get a 256MB SD card for under $70. 512MB SD cards start at $230. I know that 1GB cards are just becoming available and Panasonic said they predict having 16GB SD cards by 2005. A 1GB SD card can hold 30 hours of digitally compressed music, more than 320 minutes of MPEG-4 compressed video, or more than 1000 high-resolution digital images!!!!
    Last edited by JakeE; 07/11/2003 at 04:07 AM.

I know what you are thinking, how do you take pictures? You guessed it! You simply hit the center button on the four way navigation wheel and viola! Then it asks you if you want to save the image or send it to someone, I believe via SMS.
    it's not SMS (which is the text only Short Message Service) but MMS (Multimedia Message Service) that is used when sending pictures.

Infact, the fact that the new treo will have a camera along with MMS capabilities could even be the reason why the treo 600 will be a big hit for the network providers. MMS cost a small fortune. If you don't have a camera in your phone you are not likely to send any apart from the few that you received and want to forward. So if a phone has a camera the users will probably send MMS sooner or later. And that means more cash for the network providers. That could also mean that they'll offer the treo 600 for much less than the old treos because of the big chance that in the long run they'll get more money back because of MMS.

By the way, the network operators in Germany offer a service now where you send a picture to a specific address in there networks along with a postal address of a person who will receive the picture as a postcard. This service is yet another evidence how important cameras are in modern phones. It's not about replacing your digital camera, it's about the cash generated by MMS!

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast