Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
    It seems to be much more than that. I had gotten this idea from the postings cited below. However, even those threads show disagreement. They think the CDMA radio battery is bigger thus the bulge and the weight.

A quote from PalmInfoCenter:

FCC Approval
    The FCC filing does not provide much in terms of new information, but does include a few new pictures of the Smartphone. The pictures reveal some subtle differences between the GSM and CDMA versions. The CDMA version has a darker shaded grey exterior, a slightly more pronounced top and weighs just more than an ounce more than its GSM counterpart. The pictures also show a leather case and hands-free kit, which will likely come with the smartphone.

The pictures with the article clearly show that the two versions are much different - esp. above the screen. However, perspective may be off....

Check it out at

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5765
    Handspring Treo 600 Getting Closer
    Posted By: Ryan on Friday, August 01, 2003 4:52:31 PM

I guess we'll know soon - MY Cingular guy here in Houston says 1st week in October - AND he showed me the rate and price sheet with TREO 600 on it bigger than life. Only coming off the price 50$ for a two-year contract though.
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight
    Yeah I know that is what was thought when the FCC pics were originally released. I looked at the picture on the FCC website and the angle of the picture of the front makes the CDMA version seem narrower at the bottom. More recent pictures that people have taken of Sprint development units have shown that is was the angle, and not the phone. All recent news and reviews that I have seen as of late indicate they will identical in size and shape. Guess we will have to weight for the GSM version release in the states to find out for sure since the CDMA may be out first (at least in the US).
    Not to beat a dead horse - but look at the pictures at

http://SprintTreo.tripod.com/
    The thrid set of pics show the two versions next to each other - and the SPRINT labeled CDMA has the BULGE - the silver GSM generic does not.
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight
    I think I see what you are talking about now. The earpiece on the sprint comes out a little bit. I think that Sprint maybe had them do this to their specs, but the unit is is dimensionally the same. I don't think it is because of the radio being any bigger or smaller. Treo is allowing the manufacturers customize the units to some extent and at the risk of increasing the price.
    Originally posted by PHO
    Jake -

I read your interview, it was definatly colorful.

Question for you, pocket pc people, or anyone else. Has anyone gotten a successful streaming media on Sprint?

os 5has a media player and real player, and the pocket pc's do.

I haven't seen anyone talk about. Can you ask someone if they have tried this with the treo 600?

I did on my phone from way back when...n400...it sucked...the screen wasnt worth the trouble.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    I have the 300 with Sprint service. I occasionally travel overseas. Would it be appropriate to switch carriers so as to get the GSM version of the 600?
    hi jake,
    first of all, thanks for a very good article. i have to admit, it made me purchase my first treo. fell in love with 270, waited....waited...suddenly out came the 600. just got to have it. it is so cool. not perfecto. but excellent.

thanks again jake.

ps: i think i like your writing better than the 600 itself. :-)
  8.    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by nunuknanak
    hi jake,
    first of all, thanks for a very good article. i have to admit, it made me purchase my first treo. fell in love with 270, waited....waited...suddenly out came the 600. just got to have it. it is so cool. not perfecto. but excellent.

thanks again jake.

ps: i think i like your writing better than the 600 itself. :-)
    Hi Nunuknanak!

I am very happy to learn that you enjoyed my article and that you are enjoying your new Treo 600. Thank you for sharing your kind words.

Jake ;-)
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Hey Jake,
    I just receive an email notifying me of a new post to this thread..so I decided to re-read your article that I read back when it was originally composed. Around Thanksgiving 2003 I received my Treo 600..about 5 months after I read your article.
    I have been a happy Treo 600 owner for the past 6 months. I remember there were skeptics, naysayers, etc. that were very vocal in countering your position and feeling on this topic. Time definately tells the tale, and I can say 1st hand that everything you mentioned in your article about the Treo 600 is absolutely true! I share the exact enthusiasm even today as you originally wrote of a year ago. I hope you still enjoy this device now as you did when you originally observed it. Thanks for your contributions for present and future Treo owners.
  10.    #210  
    Quote Originally Posted by j$hort
    Hey Jake,
    I just receive an email notifying me of a new post to this thread..so I decided to re-read your article that I read back when it was originally composed. Around Thanksgiving 2003 I received my Treo 600..about 5 months after I read your article.
    I have been a happy Treo 600 owner for the past 6 months. I remember there were skeptics, naysayers, etc. that were very vocal in countering your position and feeling on this topic. Time definately tells the tale, and I can say 1st hand that everything you mentioned in your article about the Treo 600 is absolutely true! I share the exact enthusiasm even today as you originally wrote of a year ago. I hope you still enjoy this device now as you did when you originally observed it. Thanks for your contributions for present and future Treo owners.
    Hi j$hort:

Thank you for sharing your kind words as well.

Time definitely does tell the tale. I love my Treo 600 and I am looking forward to the 610 or whatever the next major upgrade is. A high-res screen, Bluetooth and a 1.3MegaPixel camera will make the Treo much better.

Take care,
    Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Saw news of the 610. The Verizon subscribers here are very excited about a Verizon version of the Treo. I honestly can't say I want for anything on the Treo 600. The Hi Res screen would definately be a plus, I have been looking at GPS add-ons for the Treo and that is probably my next accessory. This thing is packed from the factory...then very easy to add SW & HW to... BT, WIFI, Better camera and improvement to the screen would be pluses, but would probably not make me jump at a newer model. I was thinking dual SD slots..but probably from my GPS SD and Maps on SD dilemma. Plenty of options though...
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011