Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
  1.    #181  
    Originally posted by athreya
    thanks
    Do u think u can point me to specific stuff u have written abt or your thoughts abt:
    1)the email system: Is it IDENTICAL to BB? push system? or does it dial in like in the 300?
    2)Battery life with say one hour cell usage per day?
    3) MOST IMPORTANTLY..is the keyboard as good as BB?

The new review posted on this site also mentions reservations about the keyboard

btw your site appears to be down-cant open it!

thanks a lot
    What is BB?
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Blackberry ...
    The 7230 is their latest
    bb=bubble ****
  4.    #184  
    thanks
    Do u think u can point me to specific stuff u have written abt or your thoughts abt:
    1)the email system: Is it IDENTICAL to BB? push system? or does it dial in like in the 300?
    2)Battery life with say one hour cell usage per day?
    3) MOST IMPORTANTLY..is the keyboard as good as BB?

The new review posted on this site also mentions reservations about the keyboard

btw your site appears to be down-cant open it!

thanks a lot
    1. I don't know.
    2. 5 days usage without a charge.
    3. I believe so.

I think my site is o.k. now can you open it?

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering

your sites still not opening! thanks for the response. Can you tell us how you get your email on the treo? is it PUSHED to you or do you have to hit a check email button somewhere? Also whats the 'intuitive' keyboard like? Handspring has a lot of hype going about it!
  6.    #186  
    your sites still not opening! thanks for the response. Can you tell us how you get your email on the treo? is it PUSHED to you or do you have to hit a check email button somewhere? Also whats the 'intuitive' keyboard like? Handspring has a lot of hype going about it!
    When you say “your sites still not opening!” which address or URL are you using?

I don’t use email on my Treo so I can’t answer you question.

When I used the keyboard on the new Treo 600 it felt great.

Jake

8.    #188  
    www.jakeehlich.com
    The URL is missing an R in eh"R"lich

the address is www.JakeEhrlich.com

that should work.

Jake
    Last edited by JakeE; 09/10/2003 at 08:16 PM.

Jake,

You said that unlimited chars in Memopad Notes will be introduced in Palm OS 6.0. Another feature that Memopad DESPERATELY needs is the ability to get to a note quickly. Right now all I can do is use the stylus to search for notes unless I use the find utility. For example, as a system administrator I have many notes prefaced by OS name. For example

NT - How to do something 1
    NT - How to do something else 2
    NT - How to do something else 1000
    W2K - How to do something 1

It would be nice if I could type the letters NT on the keyboard and be positioned at the top of all the NT Notes. Right now if I do that I can a new note beginning with letters 'NT'. Not nearly as useful as a search function. Please tell me this is being introduced into 6.0 as well.

Bob
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Last edited by j$hort; 09/11/2003 at 11:14 AM.
    And I don't mean the shoddy excuse for an implementation that is the palm card (I'm not even going there, though it /has/ worked for me).

I bought a bluetooth adapter for my mac. 20 pages of windows instructions and a cd of drivers, no mention of mac. Plug it in and the System Pref just appears. A couple of clicks and it's working. A few more and I'm paired with my T610. It's worked flawlessly since.

I use my phone as a GPRS modem, a remote control for Powerpoint, and increasingly as a diary. It works great for pulling pics from the phone, uploading midi ringtones, syncs perfectly with my OS X address book, and I don't have to deal with the nightmare that passes for Palm Desktop. My Palm 515 is sitting idly in my locker, and my next PDA will have bluetooth built-in for sure.

Now if only HP put it in those little photo printers..
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    just scanned thru the specs on the T610 at:
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=274

Pretty serious device.

sharl,

Sounds like you have bypassed the Palm OS (and device) for your daily device functions. Is there anything you ran into that you wanted/needed to do with your palm device you were unable to achieve on the T610?

I am looking pretty seriously at the Treo 600, but want to compare with all other options. The SD expansion and web browser issues seem to be the only questions I'd have right now about the T610.:shortcut:
    j$hort, if you're not already familiar with it, you should check out the Nokia 3650. It's definitely bigger than the T610. But the camera is better (and offers video recording) and it has MMC memory expansion. It runs on the Series 60 platform (built on the Symbian OS) so there's a lot of 3rd party applications for it, some of which are free. While there's software for playing MP3s, the headset output is mono, so you wouldn't really want to. Reception is also known to be excellent. IMO, the T610's main advantage is the size.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Is there possibility for voice recording?
    Last Treo missed it!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Thanks scott, I'll take a peek.

I definately want all the latest features in my next device and want to keep my existing Tmobile account and SIM card. I have a Treo 180 now. 3rd party apps have been a big part of my experience and I worry about having a device that has a limited proprietary OS. The only reservation about the Treo 600 I have is the 160x160 screen, but read that it is not that much of an issue due to the new screen size.

Oh, I'll also need to share the same contacts and calendars between at least 2 devices. I do this now with WeSync. Any similar ways to do this on the Nokia or S/E 610? I am cool with any model that does not store the data on the device, so long it can be accessed INSTANTLY at anytime as with GPRS.
    I didn't notice any problem with the treo screen size in my briefish play with it. It might become more of an issue in long-term use, but my Palms have always been low res (up to the 515 so far).

The main thing I can't do on the T610 is take notes. Don't get me wrong, I love the Palm, but I've realised that most of my diary/address/messaging needs are served well by the combination of the T610 (which by the way is hugely superior to the T68i I endured for 9 months) and my iBook. Entering appointments on the phone is pretty swift too.

Taking notes is a different matter, and once term starts again (I'm a university lecturer) I'll be rethinking what I use. The forthcoming T3 is the obvious choice, but the new clie tablet qwerty thing looks like fun :-) I'm not ready to give up my T610, but I shall watch the developments with interest, as they become part of the PalmOne lineup.

As for Internet, I check my mail from time to time on the T610 (much more satisfactory for IMAP mail than POP3), and the WAP 2.0 browser handles simple web sites, and the very useful WAP sites for Google and Amazon. Google has a WAP proxy which gets the text content for most sites fine. My experience with graphical web browsing over GPRS isn't very promising. I'm looking forward to EDGE or 3G for that to become do-able. Anyone know what sort of a job the Treo browser makes of web sites?
    I'm brand new - but I think the CDMA version is a DIFFERENT SIZE than the GSM , and hense the faceplates are different, and it follows that the colors are CDMA/or GSM specific. So, there you have it.
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight
    I'm brand new - but I think the CDMA version is a DIFFERENT SIZE than the GSM , and hense the faceplates are different, and it follows that the colors are CDMA/or GSM specific. So, there you have it.
    Actually the Orange Treo 600 (GSM) and the Sprint Treo 600 (CDMA) have the same colored cases (darker ones). HS gives the carriers the choice of case colors. Supposedly all of the US GSM carriers are looking at the silver cases. From what I have gathered the CDMA and GSM are identical on the outside, with the weight differences coming from the components used on the inside. If you look at some other picture angles of the CDMA version you will see that it looks just like the Orange unit.
    Weeeelllllll, I wonder HOW the body can be the SAME (CDMA vs GSM) IF the GSM has a SIM card Slot and the CDMA DOES NOT.

I think there are more diffences dimension-wise than just the weight.
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight
    Okay. One will have a door for the SIM card, one will not. It is not in HS interest to make the phones different sizes as you would have to produce two totally differnent size cases and not get your economies of scale. It looks like the SIM Door is either on the back of the case, and the CDMA has the same indentation, just not a door, so they can still stamp the same back, punch out the door and add a door cover, Or it is at the top back behind the SDIO door but the exact same procedure could create a door with a single stamped back.

You can check out the identical dimensions here GSM Treo 600 and here CDMA Treo 600. Only physical difference is the weight of the unit (CDMA is .28 oz heavier), and the SIM door.
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast