1.    #1  
    I'm sure they are just keeping it close to the vest, but. . .

Ac ouple of days ago, I found an email for the executive consumer relation on the newsgroups for T-mo. I decided to email them and ask if they would carry the T600.

I got a call back yesterday, telling me that they got the email and would be calling me back in a day or two with an answer.

"J.P." called back today and left a voicemail (I'm glad I missed it). This is what he said:

"At this time TMO has decided not to carry the treo 600 but I have been advised by one of our executives that this may change if we are gonna supply data plans and different pricing for data we might be offering it"

"At this point we are not going to be offering it, but if anything changes I will definately let you know."

I guess I'm gonna get an unsupported device. :-(
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Interesting. I hope that changes or is changing. But in reality how important is using a "supported" device? I used the Treo 270 on T-Mobile for a long time before it became "supported" and can't think of anything that improved due to this support.
    Originally posted by silverado
    Interesting. I hope that changes or is changing. But in reality how important is using a "supported" device? I used the Treo 270 on T-Mobile for a long time before it became "supported" and can't think of anything that improved due to this support.
    I agree. So what if they don't "support" it. All they've ever been to me is a carrier, not a phone provider (and that's the way I prefer it, to be honest). I like the ability to use whatever phone I choose without having to answer to them.

My only concern is that the Treo 600 might be delayed while Palm/Handspring tries to get into bed with the carriers concerning the Treo 600.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    As one who is interested in the financial aspects of TREOs rather than geek aspects (well - mostly!), this is actually a fairly significant "development".

Handspring is DEPENDING on selling TREOs to ==carriers==, not people like you and me.

And a MAJOR carrier just said "We ain't buying".

(note - TreoCentral is carrying an article that discusses AT&T and TREO 270s in the same "breath" - but if one reads the PRPRPR $out$ $about$ $this$ $one$ $sees$ $that$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$, $too$, $is$ $not$ $buying$ - $Handspring$ $itself$ $is$ $doing$ $everything$ - $and$, $financially$ $speaking$, $that$ $ain$'$t$ $good$ $enough$)
    BTW - because this IS of major importance w.r.t. financial matters of Handspring, Palm, and potential future carriers that may or may not "support" the TREO 600, I would certainly expect some major "backing off" from what theoretically was stated by a TMobile executive (as related by the first message of this thread) to happen almost immediately!

I can't believe Handspring will let this one sit quietly.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    As one who is interested in the financial aspects of TREOs rather than geek aspects (well - mostly!), this is actually a fairly significant "development".

Handspring is DEPENDING on selling TREOs to ==carriers==, not people like you and me.

And a MAJOR carrier just said "We ain't buying".

(note - TreoCentral is carrying an article that discusses AT&T and TREO 270s in the same "breath" - but if one reads the PRPRPR $out$ $about$ $this$ $one$ $sees$ $that$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$, $too$, $is$ $not$ $buying$ - $Handspring$ $itself$ $is$ $doing$ $everything$ - $and$, $financially$ $speaking$, $that$ $ain$'$t$ $good$ $enough$)
    Seldom,

From your articles that I saw here, I would more accurately describe your interest as being in anything that can be remotely taken as having a negative financial impact on HS.

Now regarding T-Mobile, the statement that this fellow made on Felipe's voice mail is almost incomprehensible:
    "At this time TMO has decided not to carry the treo 600 but I have been advised by one of our executives that this may change if we are gonna supply data plans and different pricing for data we might be offering it"
    What does this mean, exactly? So their problem is just data plans? I am sure things are moving along as we speak. The impact of the CeBIT showing of the device was relatively quite large and I'm sure HS/Palm now have a much stronger position to make/remake their pitches to the carriers.

However, only time will tell.
    Last edited by silverado; 06/27/2003 at 06:54 AM.
    I think it's FASCINATING that you actually went out of your way to find something negative to say about ME - how bizarre!

=====

However, now even you are backing off from "Who cares about TMobile supports" to the wimpy denial "What did they say?".

Giggle.

So, okay, everything =I= posted is valid - (1) this is VERY important w.r.t. Handspring's future (no matter WHO =I= am! Ha ha ha!) and (2) ya better believe Handspring or TMobile is gonna say SOMETHING soon.

Lol!

Stop paying SO much attention to POSTERS and watch the POSTS - no matter WHAT the slant!

Ha ha ha!
    I think it's FASCINATING that you actually went out of your way to find something negative to say about ME - how bizarre!
    I didn't go out of my way to find something negative, you brought the topic forward by inaccurately stating your interests. I was completing the picture because you left out part of the truth.

However, now even you are backing off from "Who cares about TMobile supports" to the wimpy denial "What did they say?".
    I didn't say "who cares about TMobile supports"-read my post. I said "Too bad, I hope that changes." Then I asked what does one get from support? When I saw that you are taking that comment so seriously, I wrote more about how much stock I'd put in that comment.

So, okay, everything =I= posted is valid - (1) this is VERY important w.r.t. Handspring's future (no matter WHO =I= am! Ha ha ha!) and
    No. If this were a real, authoritative and categorical refusal, then yes, it would be very important. But a phone message on someone's answering machine that says not now but maybe if we change our data plans, isn't.

Lol!

Stop paying SO much attention to POSTERS and watch the POSTS - no matter WHAT the slant!

Ha ha ha!
    I'm paying attention to both, since they are both imporant.

BTW, I'm glad you're having so much fun, which I can see from the very natural laughter throughout your post
    Last edited by silverado; 06/27/2003 at 06:52 AM.
    A simple "Yes, I was wrong to comment about a poster" would have been sufficient to end it.

Noted.
    Isn't AT&T the only wireless provider for Palm's Tungsten W? Coincidence or not, given the merger?
    A simple "Yes, I was wrong to comment about a poster" would have been sufficient to end it.

Noted.
    In the words of myself: You're quite annoying Seldom. Really, really annoying.

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot:
  12.    #12  
    Silverado,

That comment didn't make sence to me either. They already have an unlimted data plan what can they add to make it better? I guess they could make it unavailable to 600 users.

T-mo might have a load on 270s in a warehouse that they want to sell so they don't want ppl thinking of the 600 unil they actually release it.

I likmeT-mo, they work for me so if I get the 600, I'll be using it on a T-mo network.

You think Handspring will be at TechExpo in NYC this sept?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.