Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have the 300, it served me well but its simply really out of date and at this point its garbage. The G1000 has a good quality camera, SD slot, 400mhz proc, windows OS, and comes with windows mobile 2003 with new version of pocket IE and WMP9
    for mp3, wmv and all video (divx) playback as well

lose your treo and get this b4 its sold out
    It comes out for sale July 1st
    $649
    Oh, yes, time to carry a brick again

http://3gwiz.com/articleimg.php?id=6
    From what I've read, seems the G1000 is not only huge, but the camera does not swivel so the lens is always exposed, the SD slot does not support SDIO, and there is only 32 megs of RAM. All of these could be wrong though, just rumors I've read while surfing various sites.
    Originally posted by UGlee

WOW! There is no way on earth this could ever make it into someone's pocket. It appears completely unusable as a phone.
    ...or we can just wait a couple more months and get the Treo 600...
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Gee maybe I should just strap my laptop to my belt...On second thought, nah, I'll stick with my Treo.
  7.    #8  
    the camera does swivel

and your finding problems with it when the treo doesnt even have the functionality of the g1k, this does 640x480 crisp pics, and it is no bigger then the treo

you all like the palm Os because its easy,(easy meaning there is a huge lack of usability). Palm's slogan should be simple software for simple people

when you want power goto pocket pc
    G-1000 weighs 8.4 oz comparing to Treo 600's 6 oz. Its dimension is 5.8 x 3.3 x 09. Talk time is 2.5 hours comparing to Treo 600's 5-6 hours. I wonder if G-1000 can be called phone at all.
    'snip'
    it is no bigger then the treo
    'snip'

heh - I don't think so. The Hitachi booth was right next to the Handspring one, at that Sprint PCS show where I first broke the news of the 600. Let me tell ya - it's WAAY bigger than the Treo. The Hitachi (maybe we should call it hibachi) looks like one of those kid toy calculator phone things from V-Tech, like you would find at Toys R Us.

Bottom line - make no decision until you put one of each in your hand. The Treo will win once you have that comparison.

If you want power you might as well lug around a laptop with Wi-Fi, since you'll be carrying around something almost as large with the Hibachi-brick.
    Originally posted by UGlee

Where do you plug the mouse?
    Originally posted by quake8

you all like the palm Os because its easy,(easy meaning there is a huge lack of usability). Palm's slogan should be simple software for simple people

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/3599.html

That is not true at all. Palm OS 5/6 is far more powerful and efficient than PPC.
    the camera does swivel

and your finding problems with it when the treo doesnt even have the functionality of the g1k, this does 640x480 crisp pics, and it is no bigger then the treo
    The Treo 300 is 4.3" x 2.7" x .7", which means this thing is 1.5" x .6" x .2" larger.
    Last edited by silverado; 06/25/2003 at 04:13 PM.
    Palm's slogan should be simple software for simple people

Actually, quake8 is on my ignore list because he/she is much more willing to insult than to rationally discuss. Kinda sad...
    the camera does swivel

With all due respect, how can you compare the pictures from the Treo to the G1K when you haven't actually seen them? Both will do 640x480. As for the quality, I would venture that it's about the same. VGA is VGA. But the camera is only one component.

The G1K is certainly MUCH bigger than the Treo (ANY Treo for that matter). The G1K's SD slot isn't SDIO-compatible.

Have you ever used a Palm OS device? Lack of functionality? I beg to differ. I've used both Palm OS and Pocket PC. Yes, Pocket PC is "pretty", but from a usability standpoint, it has a long way to go. It takes a lot more effort to do simple things with a Pocket PC device vs. a Palm OS device. The simplicity of the Palm OS interface is a strength, not a weakness.

Simple software? There are thousands of Palm applications compared to the mere hundreds of Pocket PC applications. You name it and a Palm-driven device can do it (given equal I/O capabilities on the hardware). By the way, the Palm OS doesn't require nearly as much overhead, memory, or processing power as Pocket PC. So when you compare hardware specs, you're comparing "apples" and "oranges".

To suggest that people are "simple" just because they demand ease-of-use in their products, is a rather short-sighted point of view. Is Pocket PC powerful? Certainly. Does that make it better? No. On the same ARM processor, Palm OS is much faster than Pocket PC. It's no contest. To compete, Pocket PC has to be run on a much faster (and more expensive) processor.

Price, performance, efficiency, usability, and software availability are all on the side of the Palm OS.

In terms of usability as an integrated PDA/phone, I would put the Treo up against that brick of a G1K any day.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    The G1000 is cool, as a wireless PDA. I have both a Treo 300 and G1000 at the moment. Yes I like PPC but the size is painful, much too painful as a phone on a daily basis. No, the camera does not swivel down to be hidden, it is always visible.

Aside from size and weight, the biggest drawbacks I have found with the G1000 are...

To use the period (.) button, you must hit the function button first. It is not a dedicated button like the Treo or a normal keyboard. That means it takes two key strokes just to get a simple . Though you can dial a phone call with the virtual keypad on the screen, all the numbers on the qwerty are across the entire top row. It is not laid out like the Treo/Rim type keyboards. I also can't find a way to lock it into # mode. This means that if I wanted to put a zip code in on a website, or dial with the keys and not the virtual keypad, I have to hit the function button everytime. To dial a 6 digit zip code, you have to do 12 key strokes. The other option is to have one hand hold down the function button while the other hits the keys, but who has time for two handed dialing?

There are many great features of the G1000 and by no means is it all bad, I just don't see it as a phone replacement, it's a wireless PDA replacement. With that in mind, it does very well.
    Wow this sounds worse than the Toshiba 2032 (and I didn't think that was possible).

Something tells me quake8 is really a Palm OS devotee who's just bored waiting for the next generation of devices to hit, so he's having some fun discussing moot points.
    go.digital
    quake8

Pocket PCs are absloute JUNK!!! After having my PalmV I was seduced by the iPaq. The iPaq was the worst peice of garbadge on earth. It was nothing but problems. It would never sync properly, it was sugar coated with dust under the screen.....the list went on and on and on.

Then I got a Treo....and all I can say is that I feel like the Maytag Man. It never does anything strange or wrong. It provides me with no drama.

The reason the treo 600 is going to be icredible is that Handspring has redesinged all the core apps so that you can use the 5 way thumbpad to do everything!

The treo 600 is what the PPC you are refering to is trying to be.

To state it simply....Power is usless without control!

Jake
    There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. You can know a lot about something without understanding it. —Charles Kettering
    -------------------------------------------------
    Treo 600: Love at First Sight by Jake Ehrlich

Thoughts on the Future of Handheld Computing: A 5 Part Series by Jake Ehrlich
    Boy is that thing BIG and Fugly!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast