Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by finadvsr
    Boy is that thing BIG and Fugly!
    LOL, that's funny!!

Did you guys see the 2 minute video out at Cnet? It's about half way down on this page.
    go.digital
    Originally posted by JakeE
    quake8

The treo 600 is what the PPC you are refering to is trying to be.

To state it simply....Power is usless without control!

Jake

Now THAT was said beautifullly.

You guys are too hard on this device. After seeing it, I can now sell my weight bench and weights and start doing curls and bench presses with my Hitachi! It's not just a phone and PDA, it's a workout device.

As to the "simple" comment, years ago the MS-DOS crowd constantly lectured me on my "simple" mac with its point and click interface, and how much better the DOS prompt was. Here we are twenty years later, and it looks like the simple "point and click" won over the C:_.

Cluemeister
    Originally posted by silverado

Where do you plug the mouse?
    I used to carry a Nokia 9210. It's a brick but a lovely one. This one, the first thing that came to my mind is its ugly!
    Here are two pics that give a pretty good comparison of the Treo 600 vs G1000 in size:

Treo 600 in hand
    G1000 in hand

Now which one would you rather put up to your face to make a phone call with out looking like a dork?

The G1000 is certainly powerful spec-wise and has all the bell & whistels of a PPC device. The problem is that the PPC platform is soo stringent and inflexible that it does not allow for imaginative product designs as illustrative with the G1000. The required rectangular 240x320 screen + QERWTY keypad simply makes this device too unwieldy and large to be useful as an everyday mobile. I will wager anyone that the Treo 600 will absolutely kill the G1000 in the market once released. Anyway the real competiton for the Treo will not come from pda-centric PPC phones but from M$ smartphone and Symbian (UIQ,Series 60) smartphones...
  6.    #26  
    it may sell very well but can the treo600 have a wifi card installed? huge memory upgrades. play mp3's and or mpg / wmv video files?
    STREAMING at 100k

No it cant, do you like palm os 3.5 and 33mhz proc?

g1k is 400mhz, you can do a hell of a lot more with it
    Imagine you're at a "social gathering" and you make eye contact with someone across the room (a very eligible someone across the room) . Just as you make your move, you get a call and you pull out the monstrosity that is the G1000. Guaranteed -- whatever magic was in the air is now gone as the person across the room gasps in utter horror at your undeniable geekiness. Meanwhile someone pocketing a slick Treo600 makes a smooth move... and it's time for you to go home (and feed you brick power since the battery's on it's last legs).
    go.digital
    quake, you must be ah intellectually challenged. a 400 mhz on a pocket pc cant beat a 100mhz palm os device. g1000 has bad form factor, w/c is fine when you want to put a brick on your ear. hehe.

pocket pc = only for those who don't know better.
    Originally posted by quake8
    it may sell very well but can the treo600 have a wifi card installed? huge memory upgrades. play mp3's and or mpg / wmv video files?
    STREAMING at 100k

No it cant, do you like palm os 3.5 and 33mhz proc?

g1k is 400mhz, you can do a hell of a lot more with it
    >>>can the treo600 have a wifi card...

Yes, it will have a SDIO slot which will work with forthcoming Sandisk SD-wifi card as well as Hagiwara SD-wifi and SD-BT cards. On the otherhand the G1000 reportedly will NOT have SDIO, and thus will not be able to use any wifi SD cards.

>>>huge memory upgrades...

Like above, you can use SD slot for extra storage

>>>play mps's...

yes it will have the capability to play mp3's using any one of various PalmOS audio players. RealOne is one freeware player for PalmOS 5.x..

>>>play mpg / wmv video files?

You can play video file using Kinoma player via their proprietary compression method that can convert mpeg etc. Also there is mmplayer which, although is still beta, does allow native MPEG-4/DivX/AVI playback and will soon allow streaming video as well.

>>>No it cant

Nope, it can...

>>>do you like palm os 3.5 and 33mhz proc?

If you read the front page story, you would have know the Treo 600 will be a PALm OS 5.x, 144 MHz ARM, 32 MB, SDIO. Furthermore, it will have a longer battery life than the G1000 and much more svelt form factor...
    I think Quake8 is just trying to ruffle our feathers. He's got to know that the Treo 600 outclasses the G1K.

Either that, or he is so uninformed about Palm OS devices that he just doesn't know any better.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Originally posted by mcyang
    G-1000 weighs 8.4 oz comparing to Treo 600's 6 oz. Its dimension is 5.8 x 3.3 x 09. Talk time is 2.5 hours comparing to Treo 600's 5-6 hours. I wonder if G-1000 can be called phone at all.
    It looks like the original poster of this thread is a troll but playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, the weight and dimensions aren't too different from those of my Visor Platinum with a VisorPhone module I carried around for almost a year before upgrading to a Treo 180g. I saw it a my "phone" so I wouldn't be surprised if people could get used to carrying something of the G-1000's dimensions.

Having said that, I'm not going from my Treo 270 to a significantly larger machine as my cell phone. That and the keypad which has the numbers on the top row and not arranged in a phone pad configuration (this seems to be a surprisingly common mistake among PDA/phones) make this phone ill-suited for its purpose.
    Originally posted by quake8
    I have the 300, it served me well but its simply really out of date and at this point its garbage. The G1000 has a good quality camera, SD slot, 400mhz proc, windows OS, and comes with windows mobile 2003 with new version of pocket IE and WMP9
    for mp3, wmv and all video (divx) playback as well
    I think I'll wait for "TabletPC - Phone Edition 2004"
    David
    I think I will attach my Treo to my house and call it a G1000
    www.gsmworld.com
    Originally posted by silverado

Where do you plug the mouse?

HA!. I like that...That's funny!
  15.    #35  
    well, i guess my next question is where can i get a treo600 and howmuch $ and what should i do with my old treo300
    We've beaten him into submission.
    Originally posted by nrosser
    We've beaten him into submission.
    Guess so!

NEXT!!
    Well, I think the G1000 is a very nice device but it does not need to try to be a phone.
    Originally posted by DarthRepublican

I saw it a my "phone" so I wouldn't be surprised if people could get used to carrying something of the G-1000's dimensions.

Your definition for "phone" may be a bit loose. Carrying my 6 oz i330 every day, I know that 6 oz is pretty much the top weight for smartphone. Any thing less than that is positive. Occasionally, I carry the extended battery with my phone and that weighs about 7.5 oz. That is not a comfortable weight. G-1000 will definitely have problem to be sold as a "Phone". If you really need a PPC smartphone, i700 will be a better choice and it weighs 6.9 oz.
    Lest the point is still unclear, I think this photo will remove all doubt
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast