Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there any way this thing is going to run under $600? I just cannot imagine how it could.

Is there anything somewhat finite regarding price. Everything I have read says "a premium" over the 300.

Some are saying that the t600 will come in at around a $400 msrp. Seems impossible to me.

-rob
    Originally posted by robber
    Is there any way this thing is going to run under $600? I just cannot imagine how it could.

Is there anything somewhat finite regarding price. Everything I have read says "a premium" over the 300.

Some are saying that the t600 will come in at around a $400 msrp. Seems impossible to me.

-rob
    Well, I don't know what the cost of components actually amount to, but I doubt they're so high that it would HAVE to be $600. But then again, that's just speculation.

I can tell you this, though, since I know a few people that work or have worked for Sprint; Sprint is willing to price their phones at or below their own cost, because they don't really concern themselves with making profit on the actual handsets (although I'm sure they do when they can). They're more concerned with signing up new customers, and are quite willing to bend on the phone price to get you locked in for a year.

That being said, I would think they'd at least TRY to keep it around $399 to start, to keep it higher than the other phones but not extraordinarily so. That's still steep, but I think it's a solid pricepoint ot try and hit for this type of device.

Again, though, this is just speculation on my part, so I don't pretend to know for sure...
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV

Well, I don't know what the cost of components actually amount to, but I doubt they're so high that it would HAVE to be $600. But then again, that's just speculation.
    The cost of the components is important, but of course not the only factor. R&D costs for a product like this must be very high.
    The HS rep being interviewed on the CNET vidoe said he expected the Treo 600 to sell between "$400 - $500".
    Originally posted by robber

-rob
    No doubt that the Treo 600 looks like it will be a great device. However, it is obviously not perfect and thus does not warrant a $600 pricetag and I think HS/Sprint knows this. For starters, no 320x320 resolution and a basic 640x480 camera hardly help its cause for the $600 price you are suggesting. Indeed, a HS rep has already stated they expect a price of $400 - $500. See the Treo 600 article on this site's homepage for more details.
    somewhere I read approx $500
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Personally I think it will be $699 USD to $799 USD for an unlocked phone. Handspring is still asking $699 USD for the Treo 270 and the Treo 600 is far superior to that. I believe the price quoted by Greg Shirai, director of product marketing at Handspring, of a possible price range of $400-$500 to be for a carrier (locked) phone.

Kirby

If I start now, and set aside $44.00 for the next 16 weeks, I will have the cash to pay my credit card bill when it arrives!!
    Handspring is asking $499 where I am looking.

I am expecting it to come out at about $699. Then Sprint is going to cut at least $100. Then you might get $100 for your old Treo which will put it in the $499- range.
    My bet says $599 without a contract. Probably $450 with.
    The hardware cost should be below $400, depending on the quantity.

From the viewpoint of PDA market, $500 is a high price since there is a 20% marginal profit. From the viewpoint of Phone market, $800 is also possible, considering the hardware cost of Nokia 7650 is merely around 120$.

It finally depends on Handspring's marketting strategy. If they want to make profit as much as possible in recent futures, treo will have a high price tag. If they want to gain a remarkable market share rapidly, they should sell it at a price around $300 (after rebate from carriers).

I hope the latter case occurs. Handspring have not much time to get a foothold in smartphone market. There are several gaint competitor. IMHO, market share is far more important than short period profit for them.
    If one wants to try to price a phone that isn't going to appear for months, then perhaps noting that the radio modules used in the TREO 600 (or some numeric version) cost Handspring itself $300 in unit quantities for development would help.

Use that price as a start and go up from there.

See a 10Q or 10K filed by them - and previously noted in some threads here on TreoCentral somewhere.
    $300 for a radio module is far over-priced. Its less than 100$, typically around 70$ at 10K quantity. (According to a friend from Lenovo, one of the largest PDA and Phone makers in China)

Treo 600 is basically a Zire 71 plus a radio module. Zire 71 sells at slightly higher than 250$. We can assume a cost of 250$ in PDA part of Treo 600. Treo 600 has more memory and battery than that of Zire 71, but it armed with a cheaper screen. Anyway, they are not expensive part and add just neglectable cost.

250$ + 70$ = 320$.

This is my estimation.

Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    If one wants to try to price a phone that isn't going to appear for months, then perhaps noting that the radio modules used in the TREO 600 (or some numeric version) cost Handspring itself $300 in unit quantities for development would help.

Use that price as a start and go up from there.

See a 10Q or 10K filed by them - and previously noted in some threads here on TreoCentral somewhere.
    The price and associated quantity are direct from the 10K/10Q.

Manufacturer is Airprime.

I have zero idea what the radio modules are for, however note that they were scheduled for delivery THIS year just a couple months ago.
    if i had to guess, i'd say it'll go for ~$499 at launch to milk all of the early adopters. about two months into the launch, they'd go with big rebates to bring the cost into the much more reasonable $300 range (including rebates from HS and carriers) so they can get some good market penetration. it would also be perfect timing for holiday sales.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I don't know how you get $499. I get $699. Perhaps they figure us folks in Los Angeles have the big bucks. I click on 'Treo 270' It then asks for my zip code, which I enter '91604'. Then asks 'Do you already have a mobile plan?' I click 'Yes', with 'Cingular Wireless'. This is what comes up next:

"Mobile Phone service provider: Cingular Wireless

Your current GSM plan is compatible with Treo. To use your current plan, keep your phone number and avoid fees for breaking your existing mobile phone contract, you can buy a Treo without signing up for a new mobile phone plan for $699 USD."

Kirby

Originally posted by kwsmith2
    Handspring is asking $499 where I am looking.

I am expecting it to come out at about $699. Then Sprint is going to cut at least $100. Then you might get $100 for your old Treo which will put it in the $499- range.
    C|Net is still rather insistent that it's going to cost no more than $500, and perhaps even less with "carrier subsidies" in place. I'm not stupid enough to assume that they're 100% accurate (I'm still hoping they're wrong on the 12-bit color issue), but it seems reasonable that they wouldn't leave flat-out wrong information up so prominently on their site if it was *THAT* far off-base.

I still say that Handspring's not gonna push this too far beyond that, price-wise, myself...but maybe I'm just being hopeful...
  17. PHO
    I'm new to the forum and i have to say i am impressed with the Treo 600

However, i haven't been impressed with the Treo 300, In fact i don't like it at all.

i was just wondering. there is alot of speculation around what the price of the phone would be, and no one has mentioned any smartphones other than the Treo. I know you guys are treo people, but does anyone pay attention to anything else?

dont' mean to critisize, but, i think you'd be much better looking at similiar "smart phones" and pricing:

Kyocera 7135 - Pre Verizon Release $699
    Verizon Pricing $500

Samsung i300/330 $499

Samsung i500 $599

Hitachi G1000 $650

Toshiba 2032 $499

Treo 300 (sprint) $499

I think if your thinking this thing is priced under 500, at launch your Dreaming. I think youd be lukcy to see it at 499

I think much more likley to be 5-600

easy, could be more, but i assume because its handspring it will be priced lower to teh 500 mark.

This will be the only phone of its kind that i can tell for at least until the spring and way ahead of any of the other phones out there (if the spec's live up to reality)

Just some thoughts
    Hmm, Possible Treo Convert?
    Originally posted by PHO
    I think if your thinking this thing is priced under 500, at launch your Dreaming... I think much more likley to be 5-600... I assume because its handspring it will be priced lower to teh 500 mark.
    Make up your mind.
    Originally posted by PHO

I think if your thinking this thing is priced under 500, at launch your Dreaming. I think youd be lukcy to see it at 499
    I don't know if we're the ones dreaming, or the people that decide that these things should cost $600+ and try to sell them as such.

I understand that this should cost more than a regular phone, don't get me wrong; it is, after all, much more fully-featured. But why companies seem to thinkt these will ever sell in bulk to the average customer at these prices is just ludicrous, and I don't see how they can make a lot of profit off of them, unless they keep their actual manufacturing runs down very low, which seems as if it would only only be good as a short-term return.

I think (or perhaps hope) that Handspring understands this, and if they keep the price under $500, it would certainly be available to more people in general. Is that still expensive? Hell yes it is, but it's one of those marks that smartphone manufacturers are just going to have to get under if they expect these devices to ever take off. I think Handspring wants these things to take off, so I think they're willing to try it at a lower price point.

But again, all we're doing is guessing at this point, so it's hard to say for sure!
    Pardon for interjecting Yet Again into an absolutely silly discussion of pricing for a phone that isn't going to appear for MONTHS, but what part of this:

== "...These new Treo 600 smartphones will be priced at a
    == premium compared to our current Treo line, and are expected
    == to begin shipping late this fall..."

is hard to understand?

-- http://www.handspring.com/treo600/index.jhtml

The TREO 300 and 270 are both $499 before rebates.

The TREO 600 will be priced at a premium to the TREO 300 and 270.

What's the minimum price of the TREO 600 again?

Duh.

(BTW - note that this says "late this fall" - it doesn't say "early this fall" - guess what that means w.r.t. when it will be available - earliest? Well, let's see...early Fall would be September 22 to half way into Fall, late Fall would be at least half way into Fall til December 22nd or so...right? Do I detect mid-to-late November, earliest?)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast