Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. PHO
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV

I don't know if we're the ones dreaming, or the people that decide that these things should cost $600+ and try to sell them as such.

I understand that this should cost more than a regular phone, don't get me wrong; it is, after all, much more fully-featured. But why companies seem to thinkt these will ever sell in bulk to the average customer at these prices is just ludicrous, and I don't see how they can make a lot of profit off of them, unless they keep their actual manufacturing runs down very low, which seems as if it would only only be good as a short-term return.

I think (or perhaps hope) that Handspring understands this, and if they keep the price under $500, it would certainly be available to more people in general. Is that still expensive? Hell yes it is, but it's one of those marks that smartphone manufacturers are just going to have to get under if they expect these devices to ever take off. I think Handspring wants these things to take off, so I think they're willing to try it at a lower price point.

But again, all we're doing is guessing at this point, so it's hard to say for sure!
    Of course the price is always determined by what were willing to pay. There are plenty of +$500 phones out there, they should know exactly how many they are going to sell at what prices. Market Research.

fact is, people are willing to pay it, as evidenced by the several devices out ther that are priced as such.

They would of course sell more at 300, we'll see
    Hmm, Possible Treo Convert?
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Pardon for interjecting Yet Again into an absolutely silly discussion of pricing for a phone that isn't going to appear for MONTHS, but what part of this:

== "...These new Treo 600 smartphones will be priced at a
    == premium compared to our current Treo line, and are expected
    == to begin shipping late this fall..."

is hard to understand?

-- http://www.handspring.com/treo600/index.jhtml

The TREO 300 and 270 are both $499 before rebates.

The TREO 600 will be priced at a premium to the TREO 300 and 270.

What's the minimum price of the TREO 600 again?

Duh.

(BTW - note that this says "late this fall" - it doesn't say "early this fall" - guess what that means w.r.t. when it will be available - earliest? Well, let's see...early Fall would be September 22 to half way into Fall, late Fall would be at least half way into Fall til December 22nd or so...right? Do I detect mid-to-late November, earliest?)
    I interpret the "premium" as a premium to the Treo offerings as they will be when the 600 is released. The two lines are going to co-exist, but you are going to see a price drop on the older models. As for timing, I've said it once and I'll say it again: if we see this for the holidays, we're lucky.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    Pardon for interjecting Yet Again into an absolutely silly discussion of pricing for a phone that isn't going to appear for MONTHS, but what part of this:

== "...These new Treo 600 smartphones will be priced at a
    == premium compared to our current Treo line, and are expected
    == to begin shipping late this fall..."

is hard to understand?

-- http://www.handspring.com/treo600/index.jhtml

The TREO 300 and 270 are both $499 before rebates.

The TREO 600 will be priced at a premium to the TREO 300 and 270.

What's the minimum price of the TREO 600 again?

Duh.

(BTW - note that this says "late this fall" - it doesn't say "early this fall" - guess what that means w.r.t. when it will be available - earliest? Well, let's see...early Fall would be September 22 to half way into Fall, late Fall would be at least half way into Fall til December 22nd or so...right? Do I detect mid-to-late November, earliest?)
    The 300s are going to drop so even if they are $499 now, that doesn't mean they don't drop to $349 or $299, leaving room for the 600 to fall in at $499. We have a source from Hanspring (on the CNET article) saying $400-$500, so this is pretty simple to me. As for it coming out in late November or early December, they would miss a lot of the Christmas rush I would think (counting shipping, etc.). They have no incentive to say early fall because people would stop buying the 300s. Also most people consider December to be winter, whether it's technically correct or not.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Originally posted by PHO
    I know you guys are treo people, but does anyone pay attention to anything else?
    Yes, as a matter of fact we do. Next question.
    In Australia they sell the Handspring Treo 270 for $1120 and the Treo 180 for $1165. aust dollars.

I am hopefull that the new device will be cheaper, else it will not be affordable by very many.

Sales will not get off the ground.

I bought my Treo 270 by auction for $750 aust and was happy with the saving I made as the device at the time was valued at $1500 aust.

I for one will be buyer of the new Treo 600 if the price is right.
    Ancient_One
    Blood and Honour
    (Those who live in the dark shall meet the light and all shall die by my hand.)

(Device:Palm Pilot>Handspring Deluxe>Handspring Treo 270>Sony Clie NX60U>PalmOne Treo 600)
    (Beta Tester:Pocketdimension 2 / Quirl / PalmMAME / Seven Email Client)

6.    #26  
    Another thing to watch for will be the release of the i500, whenever that may be. CompUSA.com has it listed for $599.

Samsung/Sprint are not stupid and they know their markets. If they feel that $599 will fly for the i5, than surly the t6 will bring at least the same.

-rob
    Originally posted by Marty1781

No doubt that the Treo 600 looks like it will be a great device. However, it is obviously not perfect and thus does not warrant a $600 pricetag and I think HS/Sprint knows this. For starters, no 320x320 resolution and a basic 640x480 camera hardly help its cause for the $600 price you are suggesting. Indeed, a HS rep has already stated they expect a price of $400 - $500. See the Treo 600 article on this site's homepage for more details.
    Heck, no device is perfect, the Samsung i500 is full of compromises for the small size and it is selling (if it ever really shows up) for $600! The Treo 600 looks like a bargain to me.
    Carl
    Who knows what the real price will be. As has already been quoted, one of the Handspring reps mentioned $400-500. All I can do is comment on how I think it should be priced. IMO, $400 is too much. Let's not talk about things like the Hitachi G1000, Samsung i500, etc. as those are all even more overpriced. Instead, let's look at the Nokia 3650 which can be found for free after rebates. IMO, if Nokia created a thumbboard-version of this phone and changed the mono output to stereo, they could compete head-on (and probably win) in most respects vs the Treo 600, and neither of those two modifications would cost them much to do.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  9.    #29  
    Of course they would also need to add a high speed processor, double the ram, add expansion, add palm os (essential for anyone who is going to use the device for productivity), in addition to the thumboard and audio output you mentioned.

The Nokia is a toy in comparison.

However, $400 would be a steal, I hope you are right.

-rob
    Originally posted by robber
    The Nokia is a toy in comparison.
    I think you discount the usefulness of the 3650 too much. Yes, internal RAM is low (too low). There is MMC expansion (it hides behind the battery, so you'd want to buy the biggest card you can, since you won't be swapping them in and out). This takes care of file storage, but doesn't address the limited amount of memory for running multiple apps simultaneously (or single, larger complicated apps). That said, the Symbian OS w/Nokia's Series 60 GUI is a very lightweight multitasking OS, which performs very well on a modest CPU. As has already been said, it's capable of multitasking and video recording, so I think that says a lot.

As for productivity, well the application library is growing quite nicely and, like the Palm OS, you have the freedom to download apps and install them however you so choose. Developers can create freeware apps, etc. without having to give a cut to the service provider or deal with their distribution models. IMO, this is one of the big things that will hold back Microsoft's Smartphone platform.

FYI, there's also an upcoming Nokia 6600 which is a smaller version of the 3650 and has a bit more RAM (I think 6MB vs the 3650's 4MB). No US release has been announced. As I said, I think the biggest thing it needs is a thumbboard.

Scott
    I think that you pretty much explained why you believe that the 3650 is better than the Treo because it's free and "cool". You seem to be giving the 3650 a lot more slack for it's shortcomings than the Treo 600. It's probably that the Treo is aimed at a different target demographic that are looking for more usefulness than coolness.

I look at the 3650 and I see a huge phone, with an operating system that has nowhere near the application library of palmos with a weird keypad that I would have to learn to press in the dark for no discernable reason. I would have to migrate all my PDA calendar/Todo/address/memo info into this new OS (possibly with varying levels of success) as well as track down workalikes for other applications that I need.

The photo feature is nice, but I am much more concerned with the calendar software and other PDA-type software than the photo stuff which I could either take or leave.

*shrug* different phones for different people, I guess.
    Originally posted by ewokninja
    I think that you pretty much explained why you believe that the 3650 is better than the Treo because it's free and "cool".
    Well, I don't think that the 3650 is "better", nor do I think of it as being "cooler" than the Treo 600. I do think that it's a lot more than a "toy" and is potentially a much better value for many users due to the potentially significant price difference. Is the Treo 600 worth more than a 3650? Depending on your needs and how you are going to use it, in many cases yes (and I consider myself part of that group, BTW). But the price difference is significant. That said, the 3650 wasn't free when it first came out (I can't remember what the cost was - perhaps $300 or so) and it's possible that Nokia is actually dumping them as they'd prefer to capture the younger market (which is a big percentage of 3650 owners) with the N-Gage release.

Scott
    Fair enough, though the 3650 wasn't free when it came out and if the Treo 600 is successful, it may end up being free with a service plan after new revisions of the Treo come out.

The 3650, though nice, I don't think matches up with PalmOS when it comes to sheer variety of software available and maturity of third-party applications. I'm also very excited by the changes that Handspring have made to the OS to make it much more user friendly as a phone though (thanks JakeE).
    My 2 cents.

If you look at the intro price of recent smartphones and use those to gauge the price of the Treo 600, the price is likely to be $500-600. However, if you used the same approach to estimate the intro price of the Dell Axim when it was introduced, you would have guessed $200 too high. Why? Dell decided to price its product in order to capture market share and reap profits on volume rather than to sell with a low volume, high markup model. So which way is HS going to go, high volume or high margin? Well, they tried the high margin approach with the current Treo and were met with a lukewarm reception and lots of excess inventory. I think HS will try to make this Treo the world's pre-eminent smartphone by adopting a relatively modest pricing structure. I think they have the hardware to make this a reality, and I think a $400 price may work as well. At $600 they will just have a marginal seller and another inventory problem.
    Of course it'll be interesting to see how much the treo 600 will cost without signing a network's contract. But I believe in the end it will be a minority that'll pay the full price for it. Handspring makes a very strong move towards the network operators. I don't have the numbers but I bet that they sold way more treo 300s than all the others (possibly combined). At least if I judge by the posts in the respective forums here at treocentral it's safe to assume my assumption is correct. And I also bet that only a small percentage paid full price for it.

I believe Handspring understood that the road to success is via the network providers. If they buy large quantities of your phone you've made it. And the networks don't really want to make profit off the hendhelds, they want you to sign a contract. The 3650 is not free if you want to get it from Nokia, of course. But it's free with a contract.

If Handspring manages to get some heavyweight network providers on board I can see a price tag that's really affordable to anyone. But that's in combination with a contract. Without it I hope it will cost no more than $600.

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    The 450 price point sounds perfect to me. Im Thinking 399 w/ a contract and 499 without. But 450 would be ideal.
    Will the fact that the 600 won't be exclusive to any one carrier be helpful in terms of price? I just wonder if carriers might try to undercut each other on the price of the phone to get the contracts.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12